hsaddler

260-170 in 30 jumps?

Yet another downsizing question... any opinions on the advisability of downsizing from a 260 (AFF student canopy;9 jumps) to a PD220 (a couple of jumps) to a PD200 (15 jumps) and thence to a 170 (say a Spectre)? I'm 170lbs "dry", so my wingloading would be about .87.

I had been planning on getting a 190 and jumping it for a while before going to a 170, but was talking to someone (also 170lbs) at the dz this weekend who bought a new 170 right off student status.

I'm not crazed to downsize, just trying to buy gear sensibly, and infrequently (and safely).

I had been planning on getting a 190 and jumping it for a while before going to a 170, but was talking to someone (also 170lbs) at the dz this weekend who bought a new 170 right off student status.

Someone else doesn't matter. This is about you, not them.

The only place to get GOOD, INFORMED advice about canopy selection is from your instructors. Unless you're instructors post here you're probably asking in the wrong place.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

My first / current canopy is a hornet 170 @ 1.25 which I started jumping after coming down from a Fury (220 7 cell). I didn't have any problems with it, although there's been a couple of times a 190 (or bigger !!!) would have saved some embarrasment and the possibility of an injury. btw - your loading on the 170 would be around 1.1 :)

I'm 170lbs "dry", so my wingloading would be about .87.

Wingloading is figured based on your "exit" weight, not your body weight. Most people figure 20-25 pounds in gear; if your body weight is 170, your exit weight is closer to 190. 190 pound exit weight on a 170 sq ft canopy is a wingloading of 1.12.

You may or may not be fine on a 170. Can't say cuz I haven't seen you flying a canopy. Personally I encourage people to stay close to 1.0 for thier first main - for you that would be more like a 190. If you get "bored" with that, take a canopy control course and learn how to really fly it - guaranteed it won't be boring if you're flying it to it's (or your) limits. My Spectre (loaded at about 1.0) is plenty fun for me at over 900 jumps... but then again I'm previously injured and plan to still be in the sport twenty years from now.

btw, what's a PD220 and PD200? Are they Navigators?

Wingloading is figured based on your "exit" weight, not your body weight. Most people figure 20-25 pounds in gear; if your body weight is 170, your exit weight is closer to 190. 190 pound exit weight on a 170 sq ft canopy is a wingloading of 1.12.

Sorry, I calculated it wrong. You're right, it's about 1.1.

My Spectre (loaded at about 1.0) is plenty fun for me at over 900 jumps.

Plenty fun on 900 jumps... I'll take it.

btw, what's a PD220 and PD200? Are they Navigators?

I believe so.

>... any opinions on the advisability of downsizing from a 260 (AFF
>student canopy;9 jumps) to a PD220 (a couple of jumps) to a PD200
> (15 jumps) and thence to a 170 (say a Spectre)?

My usual advice -

There's nothing wrong with that as long as you learn to fly each canopy before you move on to the next one. To me, flying a canopy means you can:

-land crosswind and no wind
-turn at least 45 degrees in the flare
-flat turn at least 90 in both directions at 50 feet
-land with rear risers
-land on slight uphills and downhills
-land reliably in a 10 meter circle
-do a high performance approach (double fronts or turn to double fronts)

Once you can do all that you're probably ready to downsize. If you skip some of that you'll likely never learn it - if it worries you to land with rear risers on the PD200 (210 actually) you'll be terrified of doing it on a 170 and won't try it.

To me, flying a canopy means you can:

-land with rear risers

That's a nice little certification sequence... I've never seen all those written down before. And it would disqualify me from downsizing, since I've not even tried most of those maneuvers.

And I don't even know what a "double front" is (yikes, better go back to the 260...)

(jump #) 78 - to now (103) z-po 130 wingload 1.73

I'm not trying to bash on you here or make any kind of judgement about your abilities, I would just like to point out that to fly any parachute at that wingloading in the Netherlands you would need to have at least 1000 (that's right, one thousand) jumps, of which at least 100 in the last 12 months.

Be safe,
Rainman

My usual advice -

There's nothing wrong with that as long as you learn to fly each canopy before you move on to the next one. To me, flying a canopy means you can:

-land with rear risers

Once you can do all that you're probably ready to downsize.

And there you have it. This is an excellent standard for the downsizing decision-making process.

"Fly smart and safe" is very good advice, but not always easy to follow if you haave no experience (aaan un-experinceced jumper using a fast canopy is not precisely "flying safe")
The Spectre is not a fast canopy for today's standards, but it is not slow. It can turn much faster than "student" or "accuracy" canopies, and un-experienced jumpers are prone to make mistakes (e.g. having hands un-even while flaring, reaching out with one of their feet at landing, turning too low into the wind for final, stalling the canopy high, etc.) Even the Spectre and other similar "mild" canopies won't forgive these mistakes as well as a larger canopy would.
Besides, the wingload proposed is in the advanced-expert range as recommended by the manufacturer.
I have a 170 and load it at about 1.05 and still have a fun flight performance.
The Spectre also takes its time for opening, and that could add some risk for an un-experienced jumper...

Jaime Chang :ph34r:

The Spectre also takes its time for opening, and that could add some risk for an un-experienced jumper...

As i havnt flewn a spectra i would like to know which extra risk it will take that the canopi opens slower.

I agree that a 170 sqft 7cell(simieliptical?)canopi will fly faster and be more dangerus than student gear or accurcy canopies,but each time you downsize you raise that risk.

i also would say that an unexperienced jumper could(normaly will)fly such a canopi safe as its new to them.I think an experienced jumper migth would fly the canopi more agressive and there for not as safe...

un-experienced jumpers are prone to make mistakes (e.g. having hands un-even while flaring, reaching out with one of their feet at landing, turning too low into the wind for final, stalling the canopy high, etc.)

the same mistakes are made by experienced jumpers.Its normal that you try to defend your self by reaching an arm out not to hurt you,which cause a even sharper turn against the ground/object.I think most un-experienced jumpers are much more aware to get the canopi up against the wind in the rigth alti than more experienced jumpers,who knows what the canopi can(well some times not).

i guess i turned your post up side down,sorry for that.
By the way i agree in the way you think.better to be safe than sorry.

to the post-starter,you migth want to ask some of thouse who has seen you in the air,most of us in here gives oppinion based on personal experience which migth wont fit in to your level of fligth(not good not bad),and there for could cost you mony or your neck(a 170 can kill).what ever you do be safe;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

>i think if you fly smart and safe you will be allrigth

The problem there is if you downsize to the point that you're worried about the canopy (i.e. you're always being conservative and 'safe') you will never learn to fly it well. I often suggest to people that, once they start to get bored with their canopy, try the usual exercises (i.e. turn 45 degrees in the flare, turn 90 degrees at 50 feet.) If it's hard to do, then it's a good thing they tried it on a larger canopy where mistakes are less painful.

I cringe when I see someone on a heavily loaded canopy flying it straight in every time, terrified to turn at all because of all the dire warnings they've gotten about turning low. Not only are they collision hazards, but if anyone ever _does_ cut them off, they will be in a poor position to avoid them.

i think its a good teori and i think it work in pracsis aswell.

But most times you do feel abit worried when you downsize.You do it to get more speed,harder turns more G´s,but you dont want to hurt yourself.This point of veiv makes most canopi pilots more carefule to begin whith,ofcours this worry shouldnt become a fear, it should turn into knowleged and respect of the "toy" the person is playing whith.

a good canopi pilot should know what he/she can do whith the canopi,it will save them for minimun bruises one day

Stay safe
Stefan Faber