jfields

WFFC '03 Ride Help

Hey folks.

I'm looking for a ride from an airport to the WFFC and back. I'd like to fly into whatever airport late night on Tuesday, August 5 and leave late on Sunday August 10. That would give me the the most jumping time for the amount of leave days I have.

I could fly into Chicago, Bloomington, or wherever the flights are reasonable. Chicago is by far the cheapest, but supposedly a little farther away. I'd be flexible if a local could drive, or another jumper is coming in for those same days.

So far, I've had a couple people "absolutely, positively" commit, then back out. It seems kind of silly for me to fly in and rent a car, just to have it sit there for the whole convention. I could use that money for lift tickets.

Does anyone else plan to arrive and leave on those same days? I'd be happy to split some transportation costs or such. Considering that I'll have to make plane reservations pretty soon, only let me know if you really, really, positively can do this. I'd hate to get hosed with tickets somewhere and no ride from there to the convention.

Thanks!

Champain (sp) is only like 15 minutes away. There are a lot of people coming through Champain and I believe a DZ.commer or two that are planning on staying there for the week. Check there since you can see Champain from Jumprun at WFFC ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Phree,

I know Champaign is close, but from what I've seen so far, it is also several hundred dollars more in airfare. :(

I'm trying to hold the cost down to keep the money for jump tickets. I'd also pitch in on costs and help someone else save some money too.

Lots of people have said it won't be a problem to get a ride, but I can't wait until the week before the convention to make my plans. I really need to get things set up so I can get my plane tickets.

If I fly there, will you pick me up? You're a hell of a lot cuter than Phree.

After last year, i'm prolly banned from driving during WFFC. With champaign so close, there will be no trouble catching a ride. I'll even flash someone if he'll go pick you up for me.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

last year my rides got to the convention and forgot about me at champaign. [:/] i waited for about an hour and then found out there is a shuttle that runs from the convention to the airport if you call it. it was like 25$ the info is inside the airport near baggage claim.

also champaign airport doesn't seem to have many late evening flights if i'm not mistaken. i had to fly the next day, got in about noon. no worries though. it's a small airport and easy to find people in that you are meeting up with.

Try cross posting this on the freefall message board. Another route is to catch Amtrak to Rantoul and have someone come pick you up from there...
Check the Amtrak schedule before you book your flights.
I don't know Midway to the Amtrak station downtown Chitown, but O'Hare to Amtrack station is about 60 minutes once the 'L' leaves the airport.

Michael has some good ideas for you. Another one is that Greyhound runs to Rantoul (CHEAP), and there are a couple of additional shuttles that will be available. ( I think one is called Lincolnland) running from Chicago to Rantoul. Watch the 'travel' section of the www.freefall.com site, and I will post updates as soon as I have them, or email me a little closer to the dates, and I will see if I can hook you up.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It seems like I'll probably book my ticket into Champaign. It should be easier to bum rides to and from there. The difference in price is probably worth the convenience.

A little closer to the convention, I'll collect phone numbers and try to nail down someone specific for the job.

Edited to add: Still waiting for the preregistration page on freefall.com to open up. Anybody know what the registration price is?

I got registered yesterday (1 May) and if I remember right, 59.00. The phone number is: 217-222-5867. As of yesterday the on line registration was not working. Hope the info helped.
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

I preregistered by phone today. I also preordered some jump tix:

20 regular
1 C-130
1 Helicopter
1 Hi-Altitude

I'm only going to be at the WFFC from Wednesday night to Sunday afternoon, so that should mostly do me. If I need any more or get inspired by specialty aircraft that actually appear, I'll splurge as needed. The neat aircraft will be fun, but I'm really there to get the load organizing and to meet all of you folks.