petur

If someone caught your final moments on video...

I was reading a thread related to skydiving videos which include fatalities and this question popped into my head: "If I happened to record a jump where someone died... what should I do with the tape?"

A solo jump or a bigway, aerial or ground footage... I'm sure there are people out there who have been in this situation.

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this subject...
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

Your missing one answer. Used for education but not entertainment, i.e. news tabloids.

I has a very close call once and the print tabloids picked it up off the wire service including stills. Kind or fun but I'm still here to explain. I was kind of pissed my girlfiend put the camera away and didn't tape my rescue from the tree.;)

I once took stills of a 30 way jump on which a friend died. I gave the undeveloped film to her husband, also on the jump, to do with what he wanted. He later asked me to develope the film and look at it to see if she was shown. I had to have a friend help me look. She wasn't shown.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I once recovered the film from a cameraman's camcorder after he died while filming a 15-way. He was a good friend of mine. We played it to see if there was anything to be learned about how/why he died, then threw it away. That's what I think is the right thing to do is, but it's a judgement call.

I was reading a thread related to skydiving videos which include fatalities and this question popped into my head: "If I happened to record a jump where someone died... what should I do with the tape?"

A solo jump or a bigway, aerial or ground footage... I'm sure there are people out there who have been in this situation.

We played the tape that came from the camera someone was wearing before he left the DZ in a body bag. It was surreal.

The policy of keeping pictures of incidents on hand makes sense to me, since it is very effective to take someone aside and show them while saying "this guy did just what you did all day long - until this jump. We miss him."

Much of the injuries and deaths in the sport seem to come from the kind of denial that can withstand the odd anecdote, but is hard to maintain in the face of the grisly details.

Better to have someone leave the sport when they find out that things can REALLY go wrong than to have them leave the DZ for the last time feet first.

Blue skies,

Winsor

The policy of keeping pictures of incidents on hand makes sense to me, since it is very effective to take someone aside and show them while saying "this guy did just what you did all day long - until this jump. We miss him."

Woah! So true... so true...
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

I just got a copy of "Reaper Cam"-although it was sold for entertainment/profit, it gave me a clear picture of why I don't want to be an AFF instructor...don't know if there were any fatalities, but lots of close calls!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

I just got a copy of "Reaper Cam"-although it was sold for entertainment/profit, it gave me a clear picture of why I don't want to be an AFF instructor...don't know if there were any fatalities, but lots of close calls!

"Reaper Cam"? That's a video tape one can buy at stores like Square 1?

I've had a chance to see a video of someone that had an accident while I was at the DZ.....I only watched it after the word from the ER was this person was stable. It was just like watching any other close-call video that all of us have seen at one time or another in this sport. It was scary to watch it - but all was good to know he was "stable" despite the accident.

Later that day, the word from the ER changed to bad news and this jumper didn't make it. The memory of sitting huddled around a little PC9 view screen watching this guys last moments was the most surreal and unnerving thing I have done in a long time. I doubt I could watch this video again, nor do I have any desire to do so. I'm sure I did learn something from this video - but then again, I already knew not to hook it low.

Would I be up for a possible video of me being out there for others to learn? Sure, but only if there is something to actually learn from it. Seeing another low turn gone bad on video isn't going to do anything for the sport when ALL of us know the end result of that. If it was a new situation that had not been filmed before or something along those lines....then show it so people can learn and stay alive.

The only problem being - we know how the media is. Once in the public realm, it would be bastardized and churned out for some "extreme" video tape sold in the middle of the night on MTV.

Bo
TF#3

If the tape was used to educate, go for it. But, I wouldn't want to see it all over the 5:00 o'clock news. Oh wait, I'd be dead, I wouldn't be seeing it.:S

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Seeing another low turn gone bad on video isn't going to do anything for the sport .... If it was a new situation that had not been filmed before or something along those lines....then show it so people can learn and stay alive.

Ditto that. Though, I think editing out final impacts is always in good taste and consideration. Studying the events preceding the end result are what I hope to learn from, and if circumstances warrant, what I hope others will learn from.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"Reaper Cam"? That's a video tape one can buy at stores like Square 1?

You can buy it at gear-store.com. I wouldn't recommend the tape, my review has been posted in Talkback. If you are really interested, you might want to check the classifieds;)

Fuck educational value. If you got video of me going in, sell that puppy, make good money, buy beer/jumps our buds.

Michael

Your missing one answer. Used for education but not entertainment, i.e. news tabloids.

couldn't agree more...

here a tape of a cameraman who went in after a horse shoe mal is circling the VCRs, and i guess that's the best thing to do with such footage, to show it to skydivers only for educational purpose, and in no way give it to the media, unless the relatives do it...

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I agree with most of you....if there is something to be learned from other skydivers viewing the tape....then let them see it, preferable with proper narration/commentary about what I did wrong, or what I could have done differently.
I would hate for my final moments to be sensationalized or to give skydiving a bad rap in the mass media.....

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

***I was reading a thread related to skydiving videos which include fatalities and this question popped into my head: "If I happened to record a jump where someone died... what should I do with the tape?"
------------------
That is up to you. It's your tape isn't it? As long as I don't have to watch it myself if I play the leading part. (Thank God for small favors...)

From experience I can tell you that TV stations will be interested when they find out a tape exists. Referring them to investigating authorities gives some peace of mind...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Tough call.

When I was in law enforcement I would attend an annual conference regarding officer safety where we would watch dash cam footage of cops getting murdered and maimed making mistakes. Watching it in that environment seemed OK, even though it was a lot like a horror movie where you shout at the screen "Watch his hands!" but it was documentary, not fiction. Seeing in later on RealTV really seemed morbid. Watching something like that over and over seems kind of sick.

So, I think I agree with Bill, watch it once, learn from it and cast it away. I wouldn't want my children, friends and family watching me die over and over again.