Push

Closing loop knot

If you have a closing loop with a knot in it, how would you undo the knot without destroying the loop? It's just a wraparound knot, so when you pull on the loop you make it tighter. The rig has been sealed several times before, and the knot has been tightened quite nicely.

Any ideas?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Thing is, I don't have anything to replace it with, and I need to close the container just to store the canopy in a safe place. It will be replaced and repacked before jumping.

Oh well, I guess I'll just use a shoelace or something for now. Or, better yet, put the whole thing in a box.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Squish the knot in several directions with pliers or something of the sort.

This will help to loosen up the knot.

If you're just storing it, tie it closed with any thing

Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If you're just storing it, tie it closed with any thing

Ah, the trunk pack! (good method for getting your rig stored at the end of the day quickly, so you don't miss out on the good stuff in the beer fridge)

If you are going to use this method of storing, for saftey's sake, I would sugest NOT packing the pilot chute. Infact wrap the bridal completely around the rig so you don't forget your rig is not closed properly....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Ah, the trunk pack! (good method for getting your rig stored at the end of the day quickly, so you don't miss out on the good stuff in the beer fridge)

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA.....
I thought that was the "stuff it in the gearbag" pack job.........:D:D:D
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Actually, what has always worked best for me is to chew on it for awhile. Use your back teeth to gnaw on the knot. The saliva helps to moisten the material making it easier to pry the knot loose. And your teeth are not sharp enough to damage it

Hope this helps and doesn't gross you out.

Jen

This is one of the reasons I started carrying a Leatherman in my gear bag. Those needle nose pliers work really well for grabing the knot and pulling it out. Just be sure you don't fray the cord when pulling the knot out.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

The pliers worked fine. Closing loop was still too short though. Never had to apply that much force on anything in my life. Fingers hurt like hell.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

I've been told it's best to store the canopy unpacked and unbagged. Just stuff it in the gearbag and zip it up. Be carefull not to get the fabric in the zipper.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If you have a closing loop with a knot in it, how would you undo the knot without destroying the loop? It's just a wraparound knot, so when you pull on the loop you make it tighter. The rig has been sealed several times before, and the knot has been tightened quite nicely.

Any ideas?

For a knot tied by someone who doesn't know how to tie knots, I find hemostats are handy. They're cheap, commonly available (WalMart sells them as fishing gear), give a good grip on any part of the knot you choose, and don't tend to damage the cord.

A good knot to use that can be untied with bare hands is a stevedore knot. That's basically a figure-eight knot with an extra loop on the loaded side.

A figure-eight knot is about the minimum for ease of field adjustment, and there are good reasons why a closing loop might be changed in the field.

Ask a sailor or Boy Scout; either one should be able to show you some good basic knots.

Blue skies,

Winsor

there is a good knot (dunno if its valid for the closing loop) but it can hold tons of pressure and it will never get too tight to undo, its called (in spanish) "As de guia", commonly used in SCUBA diving and in Boats. Have you tried the
"Half double knot"? its also a good knot that can hold pressure and will not get too tight for undoing it and there is the "lasca" (spanish) that can also be used.

They are all used in Boats because they are easy to do, work good with tension and they are very easy to undo with the hands and no tools.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

A hammer works well. Preferably a large hammer.
Beat on the knot to loosen it - similar to gnawing on it with your molars - then use hemostats to pull it apart.
If you lay the knot on the floor before beating it, it will get a little concrete dust on it, but none of that messy saliva.

When putting it back together, tie knots, lots of knots. The larger and uglier your knots the better. If you can't tie knots, tie lots.

Though that stevedore's knot looks neat. I will try it the next time I replace a closing loop.