Hooknswoop

How's this for advertising?

Dont forget the fees for getting your A# from USPA.

That was from a non-USPA DZ, with no USPA instructors or USPA rated instructors. In fact all but one instructor there has less than 100 jumps, total.

It is Static line progression

Static Line Is NOT "Progress"...:o
It is "Regress". :S[:/];)
And all the instructors (save One ) have less than 100 jumps.....:o.
How many does the The One have,,, 115?????.
Man Am I in a Time Warp or something,????,,hahahaha
It feels like the early 70's again,,,, when classes were conducted at the local bar...;),, and not only did EVERYBODY jump a static line rig,,,, But it was the ONLY static line rig,,, in the entire club,,,, so we had to take turns,,B|..hahaha.. Back then we needed 2 people to pack a parachute..... one to pack it,, and one to "hold tension"....:)signed jimmy A 3914 p.s I think my fee for my "A" was 5 bucks.....:)

That was from a non-USPA DZ, with no USPA instructors or USPA rated instructors. In fact all but one instructor there has less than 100 jumps, total.

It is Static line progression.

Hook

Hey Hook, didn't that place just crash their plane?

Chris

Making it through this course without burning in... priceless.

It is Static line progression.

Hook

Please, please, please tell me you left 2 or so zeroes off that number.

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

But Phree....problem is they dont offer the jumpmaster option anymore....ya gotta be an instructor..and to do that ya gotta have your D....

Right, Coach w/ a "C", S/L Instructor w/ a "D". All the JM's had to upgrade their ratings by 12/31/2002, IIRC, or they expired.

Of course, that is if the DZ is USPA, if not, they can follow only the FAR's and be legal. But even a USPA GM DZ can only follow the FAR's to be legal, just not adhering to their "pledge" to follow the USPA BSR's.

Hook

[reply

Static Line Is NOT "Progress"...:o
It is "Regress".

like learning to do things on your own is such a bad idea......

:)whole Idea....It's just that S/L gives you very little actual airtime,, in which to learn..right?..
I began with S/L ,,, and did just fine. But..Tandem and AFF have now been developed,,,,and proven,, to the point where they are really... the only sensible way to teach a person to skydive...So that is why I said regress..
I'm fully aware that s/l programs may work for certain small or large DZO 's,,, Flying any plane to 3,200 ft... instead of 13,200 ft, sure makes sense.$$-wise. :|
But do we compromise the students',,,"first real chance to learn to jump" .... by denying them any 60 second freefalls,,( until they finish static line),,, and making them endure 5, 6, 7 or more, 3000 ft jumps, with no real airtime,,, tough exits,,, & possible instability..???
That scenario can (and did) scare away many people
who otherwise might have become our fellow skydivers...s/l works...for troops, and cargo, but in the 21st century,, we ought to be teaching skydiving,,with an emphasis on the freefall...:)at least
12 or 13 people were genuinely interested enough
to sign up,, and the other 7 were friends, or buddies, of those students, who "went along to support
their pal"..some people made 3 or 4 jumps,,,but then faded....Anyway.. I sure like to think that we are getting many many more returnees,,Today thanks to tandem and AFF..... ;)

Hey Hook, didn't that place just crash their plane?

Tha would be the one.

Hook

Easy to be cheap if you have no plane.
Reminds me of the two men's clothing stores on opposite sides of the street. One had a sign "White Shirts $20", and the other "White Shirts $5". So a man goes into the cheap store for a shirt, only to be told they are out of stock. He then goes to the other store and asks why their shirts are $20 when across the road they are only $5. "Well", says the owner, "When I'm out of stock my shirts are only $5, too".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

:)whole Idea....It's just that S/L gives you very little actual airtime,, in which to learn..right?..
I began with S/L ,,, and did just fine. But..Tandem and AFF have now been developed,,,,and proven,, to the point where they are really... the only sensible way to teach a person to skydive...So that is why I said regress..

As a S/L I, I can attest first hand that tandem and AFF aren NOT always the sensible way to go. Not everyone can absorb all the info, and still perform under the stress of instant freefall. Granted, most of those are what we call borderline "bowling shoe" candidates (best thing for them is to give them bowling shoes and suggest they try that sport instead).

Also, the combination of the more relaxed piece meal approach works with (generally) everyone. I liken it to learning to dance. Sure if you are really swift, you can pick it up by watching an instructor do the dance and repeat it. The rest need to learn the dance step by step, building on the past lessons.

Remember, just because YOU are relaxed and have no problems with AFF, doesnt mean EVERYONE is.

But do we compromise the students',,,"first real chance to learn to jump" .... by denying them any 60 second freefalls,,( until they finish static line),,, and making them endure 5, 6, 7 or more, 3000 ft jumps, with no real airtime,,, tough exits,,, & possible instability..???

If they are doing 7 or more S/L jumps, there is a reason... (failure) a reason that would have been compounded by the stress of that 60 second freefall. Not to mention its easier to swallow a botched $80 S/L jump than a several hundred dollar AFF.

For those AFF trained that are not familiar, its 2 S/L jumps, then moving to 3 Practice ripcord pulls (still on the rope) , followed immediately by a 5 second ff delay. From there the jumps progress higher and higher till they are at full altitude.

That scenario can (and did) scare away many people
who otherwise might have become our fellow skydivers...

Many are scared away after a "horrid" level 1 AFF. If they got "scared away" by only doing a S/L, then an AFF wouldnt neccesarily have retained them. (But I do see your logic)

s/l works...for troops, and cargo, but in the 21st century,, we ought to be teaching skydiving,,with an emphasis on the freefall...:)

True, we should emphasize ff, but the bottom line for me is that AFF/Tandem isnt for everyone. S/L may be inefficient, but it still works for many that otherwise would have dropped out for various reasons.

Nobody ever said that training wheels on your first bicycle was efficient, but it worked didnt it?
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

As a S/L I, I can attest first hand that tandem and AFF aren NOT always the sensible way to go. Not everyone can absorb all the info, and still perform under the stress of instant freefall"

..............The stress of instant freefall.??.. Isn't freefall what its all about?/... and as for stress... how about the stress an S/L student feels,,,(after going through about 5 Hours, of complicated training),, when the door opens and they have to get out there,, and stand on a tiny little step.??.. Is this a teaching method???? or an indoctrination/hazing episode ? .................

***__________________________________________________
Remember, just because YOU are relaxed and have no problems with AFF, doesnt mean EVERYONE is.

:|:o:)never did AFF.......had 1000 jumps before AFF was even invented.....;)

If they are doing 7 or more S/L jumps, there is a reason... (failure) a reason that would have been compounded by the stress of that 60 second freefall. Not to mention its easier to swallow a botched $80 S/L jump than a several hundred dollar AFF.
................Perhaps,, the failure, was an unstable exit,,, which can be quite common with S/L,,, forunately the container opens quick enough to offset that,, but not always...In AFF,, the statistical possibly for a poor exit is definitely still there,,,, except the student has 2 experienced freefallers,, with him/her,, otherwise trust me,,, tumbling exits would be the norm.... ask any AFF jumpmaster how often they need to "assist" with maintaining stability............

Many are scared away after a "horrid" level 1 AFF. If they got "scared away" by only doing a S/L, then an AFF wouldnt neccesarily have retained them. (But I do see your logic)

True, we should emphasize ff, but the bottom line for me is that AFF/Tandem isnt for everyone. S/L may be inefficient, but it still works for many that otherwise would have dropped out for various reasons. ......
that we gave them a true taste of freefall.....of what our sport really is.....Quit after a bad static line experience,,, and you have 0 seconds of freefall, a few parachute "Rides" (all under radio control), and a bad taste in you mouth..... I would reckon,,, that many students,, would happily pay the difference for the more "state of the art" program...

Nobody ever said that training wheels on your first bicycle was efficient, but it worked didnt it?

.....Maybe.... A horse and buggy worked too[:/] but wouldn't we rather ride in a sports car ,, pickup truck,, or SUV.???.;):)

but in the 21st century,, we ought to be teaching skydiving,,with an emphasis on the freefall...

Not to start the old S/L vs AFF debate again, but in light of the fact that half of the skydiving fatalities are now under properly functioning canopies, I think you could make a strong argument that we're emphasizing freefall a little too much in AFF.

Both methods have their strengths. No, I'm not suggesting that we go back to the old days.

Amy

>when the door opens and they have to get out there,, and stand on
> a tiny little step.??.. Is this a teaching method???? or an
> indoctrination/hazing episode ? .................

Right, much better to be attached to a tandem master and tossed bodily out the door. That's much lower stress.

>........Well if a person tries the sport,,,,gets a fair and real exposure
> to actually skydiving the air,,, then says "no thanks" fine,,,, but as
> teachers, and instructors,, at least we can feel
>that we gave them a true taste of freefall.....

As an instructor, I place little emphasis on giving them a 'real exposure' to skydiving. I would not take a student head down, even if that gives them a real exposure to what freeflying can be like. I do, however, place a great deal of emphasis on making them safe skydivers, and static line actually has some benefits in that regard.