lawrocket

How do you define a High Performance Landing?

I think it's kinda pointless to even define it? But what do I know. I would say any landing where someone is inputting controls to gain speed while landing for reasons other than just safely landing (i.e. front riser input, toggle dive, etc). Just my two cents... :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I would agree that it would seem to be any landing that you intentionally accelerated your canopy before the flare.

However, I have seen people get hurt under a "high performance" parachute without even attempting to speed up the landing. It was just a very fast straight-in approach... I guess that would be a "low-performance" landing wouldn't it??:S

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

I would say it is any landing where you purposely add extra speed for landing( such as front riser or not good to do but toggles)

Get rid of purposely and I'll agree with you. The added speed does not need to be intentional for a high performance landing. Just my $0.02 USD.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Try this FAA interpretation of a hook turn from the General Aviation Inspectors Handbook, Chapter 49, section 1 (15)(h):

"(12) With the exception of DOD-sanctioned teams, no hook turns will be initiated below 200 feet AGL.

NOTE: A hook turn is a maneuver in any maneuver sequence that causes the canopy to roll at an angle in excess of 45° from vertical and/or to pitch up or down at an angle in excess of 45° from horizontal while executing a turn in excess of 60°."
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I don't do high performance landings, but I would say that it is any toggle input or front riser input that is initiated within 10 seconds before your flare. Of course minor input from your toggles is sometimes needed before landing, so I don't really consider that a high performance landing.

.-.

[QUOTE]Get rid of purposely and I'll agree with you. The added speed does not need to be intentional for a high performance landing. Just my $0.02 USD.
[/QUOTE]

So you would say a newbie who buries a toggle below 500 feet and starts spinning and somehow manages to slide it in and not break bones is doing a "high performance landing"? That's silly, Jim. The key word in the phrase is "performance", meaning purposefully executed, high modifies the entire phrase by bringing in skill and finesse (imo:P)

blue skies

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

So you would say a newbie who buries a toggle below 500 feet and starts spinning and somehow manages to slide it in and not break bones is doing a "high performance landing"? That's silly, Jim. The key word in the phrase is "performance", meaning purposefully executed, high modifies the entire phrase by bringing in skill and finesse (imo)

I don't think that it's silly at all. Is any of the performance lost because it's a newbie who may not be able to control it? I don't think so. Is a Ferrari any less of a performance car when driven by a 16 year old with a freshly minted license? I think it's important to call it what it is; you can kid yourself, if you like, but any additional speed at landing time makes it a high performance landing.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I'd call a high performance landing any landing where the landing is initiated with higher than trim speed i.e. faster than the speed your canopy normally glides at. There are, of course, good ways and bad ways to get that extra speed, and successful and unsuccessful HP landings.

I'd call a high performance landing any landing where the landing is initiated with higher than trim speed i.e. faster than the speed your canopy normally glides at. There are, of course, good ways and bad ways to get that extra speed, and successful and unsuccessful HP landings.

Forgetting for the sake of this post/reply that added input with canopy controls (riser/toggle) to increase landing approach speed, generally refered to as hook turning for no reason except to surf a distance greater and faster and to say "look Ma no hands" than your normal (what is normal) landing ... I could suggest, that any landing you wake up in a cold sweat after, brush yourself off, climb out of the hole you just dug, wondering why your rig isn't on your back, to be a high performance landing.

Just guessing.

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james