JustRelax

Here's my in the plane strategy

I'm just completing my in the plane stategy for anyone interested. Maybe comments will help me adjust and others who are thinking about the plane ride up.

1. Plane takes off, I look out window and enjoy.
2. Then I think of my reserve and think if they kick me out under 2.5k I will pull it.
3. Then at 3k I take my helmet off
4. Then I think through my dive in my head.
5. Then I look at the clouds and enjoy any conversation.
6. Then I go through my dive in my head again.
7.Then I look at the clouds and enjoy any conversation.
8.we're at about 6k now so my Jm will get me to say the dive out loud - I do so. If they dont ask I ask them to listen to me and confirm.
9. Then I look at the clouds and enjoy any conversation.
10. I might look at the rig of the person opposite. Even though that may be my jumpmaseter I am looking at their strap, rings etc.
Other do this (my last jump the guy told me I had my goggles round my neck the wrong way round)
11. I enjoy the coversation and the clouds. If i think about anything its just about the climb out.
12. As we get to 9K its helmets on and we get into position (Its a small plane).
13. I start using my periferal vision looking out at clouds, instruments other people etc and I might tighten and loosen mussles, so feel my control and might feel my breathing.
14. I keep looking out and about.
15. Might put finger under goggles, to stop mist.
16. Now watching for door to open. I want to see it, not get surprised by it.
17. Then its get ready and when its my turn just shuffle out the door to whatever exit position and step through what I've trained to do.

That's it. What do you think?

prety good - we all do basically the same thing, and you may be supprised that no matter how many jumps people have we all do most of what you do.

I visualise emergancy drills, both in FF and under canopy. I visualise aircraft emergancy's both above and below 1,500ft. I visualise what Im gonna do on my dive, both during FF and including landing patern and wind direction. I enjoy the view - pos taking reference of cloud hight (which really paid dividends last weekend).

None of this should spoil the ride and it will all make your life a lot safer. You have no doubt already realised that imagining your dive REALLY helps - NEVER stop, even after student status - I see people with thousands of jumps do it and I always find it a benefit.

Also good.

I do an equipment check at 1000ft to see if something got bumped getting in. You seem quite relaxed in the plane. I usually tell my students to stop thinking of the dive at about 6000ft, and to think only about the climbout and exit after that.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Add a traffic check just prior to exit. Use part of the time after your helmet is on to really look out the windows for traffic. This is generally a weak point with loads in larger airplanes spotted with GPS. It only takes a few seconds of scanning at a time. See http://ranchskydive.com/safety/tb_article01.htm.

Tom Buchanan
JUMP! Skydivng Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

You said "You seem quite relaxed in the plane"
I was sweating with fear on my first three jumps. My strategy in the plane is the "doing" that manages the fear. I also think it prepares the senses for the dive and that metters more than my fear.

You said "I usually tell my students to stop thinking of the dive at about 6000ft, and to think only about the climbout and exit after that." That's what i'm trying to do - exactly.

Thanks

You said "protect your handles". Yes my JMs remind me when I move. I have been doing that. I do it after I am seated in the plane, probably another check and then again after we move to get ready to go out. I'll add it to my list.

Thanks

You said "Just relax". That's what people say. The best i can do is follow my startegy and I hope the relaxing will come. I find it such a strange instruction I made a logo of the words with a lightning bolt, had it made into a patch and gave one each to the JMs at the DZ. I have one on a T-Shirt. See attached.

This is a fine plan for now - you should always be adding to your procedures as you continue in the sport. I still add little things to my procedures. The key is to add slowly and not overwhelm yourself with too much at once - one thing at a time after your old procedures become habit. Once you have this down and you're satisfied with the routine, think about adding this:

The skydive starts when the plane begins to move. Take a note of which way you are taking off - it's usually into the wind - or just note the windsock while you're taxiing. That way you'll know which way you will probably be landing, even if you land in an area where there's no windsock to tell you. The skydive continues as you take off - keep a mental note of where the airport is in relation to the airplane. As the plane turns, keep track of where the airport is. If you have to get out early, you will know which way to start walking back after you land. Even when it's a normal flight, you will know the direction of jumprun before you even look at the ground. This doesn't mean that you can't watch the scenery and banter with your friends - just keep looking out the window in between and remember what you see. The skydive continues as you climb to altitude. Make a mental note of the altitudes that you feel turbulence. You might feel those under canopy too and won't be surprised when it happens. Make a note of what altitude the clouds are. If you see clouds in freefall, and remember that you saw them at 2,500 feet on the plane ride up, it's a good time to check altitude and maybe pull. The skydive continues as you approach jump run. Are you near the airport? Pilots can make mistakes too. Does the spot look reasonable? The skydive continues as you jump out of the plane. That part you've already been trained to do. The more you watch and know on the ride up, the less that will surprise you when you get out. The skydive starts when the plane begins to move - the ride up and the ride down involve two different mediums, but they are both part of the same jump.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

For a simple jump (i.e. a 4-way) it's:

1. Get on plane, find seatbelt.
2. During T/O roll, make sure helmet is either on or secured and altimeter says zero.
3. Take off seatbelt before door is opened.
4. Nothing much. Look around at other people's gear. Women sometimes think I'm staring at their chests but so be it; I've caught 4 unrouted chest straps, 1 deploying reserve and uncounted riser covers/pin covers that were open.
5. At 11K or so do one gear check on myself and put on my helmet.
6. When the door's open close faceplate (or put on goggles.)
7. A moment before climbout, check PC once.

Naturally, that gets more complex as I have more to do (zip up wingsuit, spot, give pep talk to 4-way, hook up tandem student) but those are the basics.

Your list is a good one!

When you're glancing at the clouds, it doesn't hurt to notice what altitude they are.

I personally rely heavily upon ritual in my skydiving to keep me out of trouble.

Upon arrival at the DZ, I turn on my cypress and do a thorough gear check... looking the whole thing over for problems. Top to bottom front then back. Including where the legstraps/ chest strap connects/ how frayed the little keeper cloth that secures the pin to the bridal is... plus all the rest.

Prior to donning my rig, I do a main pin check. Everytime, everytime.

When doing pin checks:
• I look to see that the pin is well seated.
• I look to see that the closing loop is not frayed.
• I look to see that the bridal is properly routed.
• I look to see that the PC is cocked.

During taxi/ takeoff I re-zero my visual alti.

Whenever I feel nervous going to altitude, I breath deeply, look at and:
• Touch each leg strap buckle (right then left),
• Look/ touch my chest handles (right then left),
• Look/ touch my chest strap buckle,
• Touch my hackey,
• Touch/ push in my main closing cover.
I don't touch my pin.

I'll do this at least once and often several times to altitude.

About 5 times I've caught my cutaway pillow folded beneath the harness strap.

Eventually I hope that merely performing the exercise will invoke calm... as a mnemonic key.

As I chat with the other divers on the load I'll sorta scan their gear... especially their chest strap buckles to make sure they look right. I've never caught a misrouted chest strap, but I've caught a few other things...One quite alarming. I was the hero on that load.:)
At 2-minute call I stop visualizing the dive and only visualize my exit.

I listen for the cut of the engine and center myself. I smile.

When the door opens I:
• Lower my fullface visor and check it to make sure it closed all the way.
• I close and tug the chinstrap.
• I check that my suit zipper is all the way up.

Just before climb out I check/ adjust my leg webbing, touch my hackey and my closing cover one last time.

About every 10th skydive or so, I'll carefully palm my chest handles during opening.

I have post jump & packing rituals as well. (but this post is way too long as it is...):$

Keep tweaking your rituals. Not only can they save your life and help you to calm yourself, but they help keep you from doing the goofy things that skydivers sometimes do... like lose a helmet for lack of a fastened chin strap, or launch an exit with your visor up or your goggles around your neck.

These are just MY rituals. Everyone develops their own over time. Take what makes sense and leave the rest. B|

Robin
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

You said "That way you'll know which way you will probably be landing". Yes if i included before I get on the plane in my list I would have included checking the windsocks and working out which way i plan to land.

You said "I always check handles as I am about to move into the door and my toggle/hackey sack". Yes if I included a before I get into the plane list...we check our gear before we get in.

You said "Make a note of what altitude the clouds are". On my AFF8 (last jump, my JM said to do this, so I should add that to my list.

Thanks

You said "During taxi/ takeoff I re-zero my visual alti". Yes we do that, I will include it in my list.

Some of the other points are preflight...for another list. I am noting them.

Thanks

Hi Warwick,

I see you do a great deal of thinking and are developing a raft of "strategies" / check lists / procedures or whatever you want to call it.

Seems that most of it is very sound. The only thing I however would warn against is getting too obsessive about it. The reason (IMO) is that the difference between a student that makes quick progress (especially in free fall) and one that is struggling is their state of mind, i.e. are they relaxed or not. If you are relaxed you will find skydiving much easier (e.g. less nervous tension in muscles = better free fall maneuvers). You are still a student and people are "looking after you" so while the procedures are great - I am just concerned that if you get too focussed on them you will "tense up".
But as I said, they are good points and good for visualising a jump and have a procedure, but just make sure it does not backfire while you are still learning to fly.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

You said "That way you'll know which way you will probably be landing". Yes if i included before I get on the plane in my list I would have included checking the windsocks and working out which way i plan to land.

Looking at the wind indicator is never a bad thing, but you should be discussing and settle on a landing direction with everyone on your load before any of you step on to the plane. Then, do your best (within safe limits) to adhere to that landing direction.
I know there's a lot of debate currently...stick to the direction regardless...follow the first person down...whatever. Just be sure that whatever the plan is, it's discussed, understood and agreed upon before boarding.
Sort of along these lines, I like to keep something in mind before I manifest and while I'm walking to the loading area...No matter how consistent the winds are and how obvious the landing direction may be, I won't get on the plane if the winds are such that I wouldn't feel comfortable landing down or crosswind, because no matter how well you plan something, you never know what's going to happen.
Stay healthy.

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I think it is a pretty comprehensive list.

My only change would be (for me & IMHO) that I would only go for silver in an emergency below about 1200-1400 feet. Above that I would get out and dump my main. I have done the main dumping a number of times (well 63) and as of yet my reserve procedures are happily restricted to practise pulls. In an emergency I don't want to be trying something new so out arch pull (main BOC) would be my procedure for above 1400. Just a comment.

Keep enjoying yourself.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I did say "seem." :)
You must be doing a good job!

I never use the term "fear" in the aircraft. What you are managing is "energy." It can be negative, or positive, just like fire, water etc. It's what you do with it that counts.

As you jump more, the energy changes. It never goes away completely, but can be totally harnessed.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

You said "I am just concerned that if you get too focussed on them you will "tense up".

My list is about where I am at at AFF8. I think you would be right if I was at AFF 3 or AFF5 because it would be too much to think about. My JM has been building suggestions and instructions for me at each stage. I think my list is good now.

As I consolidate it it becomes more routine so its not like my mind is so full I tense up. In fact you will note that a number of my procedures are about relaxing and overcoming the danger of tensing up. Some of the techniques were also formulated after reading "Mental Training for Skydiving and Life, by John J. DeRosalia"

This is how I explain your point. The problem is that without a system a result could also be a tense up situation. I am suggesting this as a routine perhaps suitable for someone at the end of AFF training. Once set I can continue to become familiar with the routine, be vigland, relaxed and ready to dive, insopite of the natural fear factor. This thinking I hope will make me a better skydiver, because I am laying down the foundations correctly.

Thanks

You said "you should be discussing and settle on a landing direction with everyone on your load before any of you step on to the plane".

Yes we do that at our DZ

Thanks

You said "I never use the term "fear" in the aircraft. What you are managing is "energy."

Remember I am a student...for me fear is fear...sure it provides energy and that explains adrenalyne. I figure, I look at it and manage it...that's how I approch it in life.

My list is about managing myself to be good and ready for the dive in the way I set myself up. From other reading on this forum I agree that skydiving needs three things: Training, Safety and Attitude.

On the matter of attitude, since the fear or "energy" as you prefer to call it increases as the plane approaches jump altitude I am managing myself by thinking through the steps. This makes me safer, I believe.

Remember i'm a student. About the time I put the rig on the thought may occure "what the hell are you doing?". I counter this with "you can decide later whether you want to carry on in the sport, but today I am willing to do this dive".

If I have a thought in the plane like "this is not for me", I counter it with a "you'll be okay, you have a reserve and a cypress" and "remember that Deno (my JM) has said accidents tend to happen on landing these days rather than under canopy" and "I am not going to do any hard turns before landing - no I'm not". Then I skip back to my routine as above...looking at the clouds and enjoying the conversation or whatever in the list.

At the top end I may also say to mysel "Just do it as you have trained and be positive not hesitant".

These things help me with my mind attitude.

Thanks