dbagdrew

27 Cessna Formation?

There was another post recently announcing a 27-Cessna 100-way and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of formation they would use for that many planes. It seems to me that the standard 'V' would situate the planes too far apart. Any thoughts?
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

I was thinking about the same thing but if you don't use the "V" formation, I think people could end up in the props. I hope they pull it off without anyone getting hurt.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I suspect they'd end up with the 300-way formation - a 5 to 7 plane V and the rest of the planes abreast of each other.

What do you mean 'abreast of each other'?

Side-by-side?

Right, wing-tip to wing-tip.

It still seems to me that they would be way too far apart to make anything happen, maybe its just me though.

>It still seems to me that they would be way too far apart to make
>anything happen, maybe its just me though.

Distance wasn't too much of an issue on the 300-way. At one point the organizers asked the planes to spread out more; the approaching wackers were getting bunched up. 27 is only twice as many aircraft as that, and they will exit much more quickly.

Distance wasn't too much of an issue on the 300-way. At one point the organizers asked the planes to spread out more; the approaching wackers were getting bunched up. 27 is only twice as many aircraft as that, and they will exit much more quickly.

Maybe it wasn't for the jumpers but it's tough on the pilots. The further you fly from an object the harder it is to see its relative change. Add a small ripple.....the wave grows through the whole wing. Those pilots had better be "on". Several wave V formations would be easier on the pilots. And remember, that line-abreast thing might be neet and we did it at the 300-way but it is damn tough to turn that formation in the sky. Now they want to double the amount of planes? Tougher still.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I was hoping you'd show up.

It certainly sounds like fun - quite a challenge from many points of view.

Of course, it might be a little easier if it were Cessna Caravans, instead of Skylanes.

How would you compensate for the various climb rates? Do you have the slowest planes take off first, and everyone climb up to and match climb rates? Or, do you stagger it so that everyone arrives at altitude aroundthesame time and flies to a "slot" in the formation? Or something else...?

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I was hoping you'd show up.

It certainly sounds like fun - quite a challenge from many points of view.

Of course, it might be a little easier if it were Cessna Caravans, instead of Skylanes.

How would you compensate for the various climb rates? Do you have the slowest planes take off first, and everyone climb up to and match climb rates? Or, do you stagger it so that everyone arrives at altitude aroundthesame time and flies to a "slot" in the formation? Or something else...?

If you could actually track the climb rate of the planes (this would require A/C owners and DZOs to be honest about their climbrates other than "fastest climber in the 5 county area!") you would want your fast climbers taking off last. Put the slow climbers up front so they don't have to manuever as much.

But let's say they do get the planes and pilots. Now you have to make sure that no one misques. It's tough enough with 14 planes. You're gonna have to make sure that they all have two radios. I haven't seen many C-182s that do. Then, what altitude you gonna take them too. At best you'll get the 182s to 13K AGL. Heck, I think most 60 ways I've been on like going to 15k. So that's your next challenge.

But....necessity is the mother of invention. If you get enough people believing they can do it then whatever hurdles come their way they can overcome.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Very good point about the exit altitude for a 100-way. The planned exit altitude is 12,500ft, so you're looking at a very long climb to altitude.

As far as radios - would it be feasable to use some hand-held radios (FRC) like many DZ's use for student/canopy comms? Most are compatible with hands-free and earbuds.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Very good point about the exit altitude for a 100-way. The planned exit altitude is 12,500ft, so you're looking at a very long climb to altitude.

As far as radios - would it be feasable to use some hand-held radios (FRC) like many DZ's use for student/canopy comms? Most are compatible with hands-free and earbuds.

You need a second aircraft radio in case the first craps out while you are in formation. You need to hear the commands from the lead. It can't be a student radio.