fudd

Risk management, skydiving and driving...

I've noticed that after I started skydiving I drive more careful. Not that I've started driving significantly slower, but I'm more aware of keeping distance to the vehicle in front of me and I don't overtake as much, but rather take it easy and wait for a safe oppertunity to overtake.

A friend of mine started wearing a bicycle helmet after he started skydiving.

I had thought that skydiving would make one take more risks in other situation, but it seems to me like it might be opposite.

Has anyone else here noticed the same? Have you becomed more aware of dangers and take better precautions after you started skydiving?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

IMHO - The reason some people drive more carefully after starting to skydive is:

The cost of 1 speeding ticket cancels at least 6 or 7 jump tickets (in PA anyway), not to mention high risk auto insurance.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

I am more aware now in daily life than I was before I started jumping, but I also take more risks than I did before. I was a big weenie before I started jumping. Now I understand that risk can be managed effectively, so I'm more aggressive in all areas than I used to be.

i have noticed since i started to skydive that my reflexs have improved greatly. so i can drive to the dz faster

I agree with hobbes4star on this one... I always drive faster after skydiving. I think I always drive to the same level of safety based on my percieved awareness. After jumping I feel my awareness is heightened and I process and react to things much faster - so I can speed up and maintain the same safety margin.

It's not just after jumping though, some days you're just "on" more than others.

The speed limits take none of this into account. If I drive the speed limit I find my awareness drifting around until soon, I'm not even paying attention to the road because it's too easy to process everything. Pick up the speed and I must focus on what's going on much more closely until all of my resources are being used to make sure I'm driving safely (and not passing any coppers). In this way I feel that to a certain limited extent, my safety, and the safety of those around my car, increases as I go above the speed limit by 10-15 mph, after that I'm sure it starts to decline due to motor reflex speeds.

What are all your thoughts on this? Am I crazy?

That's opposite of me. I tend to drive slower on my way back from the dz. When I'm going to the dropzone I'm anxious to get there. Almost can't wait and speeds up a little.
On my way back I'm calm and have no hurry getting back home...

Perhaps being at the dz gives me peace of mind, almost like meditation, because this aplies even if I haven't gotten to jump at all....

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hey Fireflyer! I think Dyevout is doing AFF in Hazleton with the Above the Poconoc Skydivers. I haven't met him yet, but that's where I'm doing mine, too. Come on over to NE PA sometime!

As far as risk management while driving, I think my driving is worse since I started skydiving. I drive a convertible and I am constantly driving around looking for jump planes. One of the hazards of living 10 minutes from my DZ:P!

Judy

Yes - just drove from Chicago to Z Hills, 1136 miles, in 15 hrs 17 minutes door to door, average speed 74 mph, way slower than I used to drive before I took up skydiving :P. On the way home I took 16 hours 12 minutes, but I stopped in a rest area for a 1 hour nap along the way.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hey Fireflyer! I think Dyevout is doing AFF in Hazleton with the Above the Poconoc Skydivers. I haven't met him yet, but that's where I'm doing mine, too. Come on over to NE PA sometime!

Judy

hey judy thanks! i am in pittsburgh doing mine at skydivepa, about an hour north of the city. i will be sure to keep your area in mind in the future!
chris

Ah yes Fudd. To paraphrase 'No Fear' if your not living in the egg, your taking up too much space.;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson