SkydiveMonkey

One for non british people ...

It used to be completely the norm when I was jumping before here in the US. Now it's not; I give myself one before I gear up, and I check myself, but no one ever volunteers to give me a check, and I don't think I was ever asked for one while I was at Perris.

One person was caught with a mis-routed chest strap in the airplane, too. I'd like to see them become fashionable again, personally. Maybe I should start a trend, huh.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

seems like a good way to prevent a lot of bad things. Also seems like a way for a lot of people to become complacent. I could also see DZO's bitching about boarding times. I personally wouldn't mind it as those in my little group generally watch out for each other. And yes, that misrouted chest has been caught ( wasn't mine ).
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

We don't have a sign off procedure, but we have gear checks on the ground and on the plane prior to exit. Frequently an experienced jumper will say that he has his own pin check handled.

Both of my main pins (two rigs) are in a position where I can verify that they are all the way up into the loop, and I do so on each jump, as well as handles, rings straps, riser covers and excess bridle near tuck flap and PC well stowed. Most people that I know check the reserve pin only on the ground.

I would imagine a written sign off would be a change for us. One otter in the summer will fly 30+ loads a day, not counting the second otter when demand requires it.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

We don't do that here in Croatia (and in Slovenia as far as I know). But it probably should do it 'cos two weekends ago I stopped a guy from jumping his rig without properly routed chest strap. He had old accuracy container whit velcro on chest strap and he routed the strap just once without bringing it back trough metal again (hope you know what I'm saying) The velcro kept it at the place. He was already at the door and merely after my third pointing to his strap he figured what he did (not do).

I.P.

do they often catch stupidity?

On flight line checks I have seen people catch the following:

misrouted chest strap
cutaway pads folded under
Twisted risers
Cypres off

The sort of things that can result in serious badness.

This starts as a student thing and then is accepted as the norm. Upon moving to Australia with c. 30 jumps I found it very hard to get out of this routine and always asks someone for a check on my way to the plane. I have seen people running to the plane with rig over shoulder and then tightening everythng up at the top ready to go. However my instructor taught me to always get into the plane ready to get out and as we had an aircraft emergency on my AFF this was a useful tip. I like flight line checks and they really don't add to the wait - you just go to flighline early.

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

For here in the U.S. my experience/observation has been that I will see military and ex-military give each other gear checks on the ground.

Whenever I'm organizing, I stress gear checks. When I read this post, it occurred to me that this practice was, in fact, drilled into me in Jump School.

I've caught the usual misrouted chest strap, twisted main lift web, folded under handle, stuffed hackey, and dangling RSLs, as well as spotting a leg strap that had been ground almost through on the previous landing, sliding on asphalt.

I also suggest one final check before exit, since I've seen and had an incipient horseshoe that had developed on the ride to altitude but got caught before climbout. There are people who died or were maimed from things that would have been caught by a cursory last minute check before exit, and I figure due diligence is in order.

You can only make it so safe, agreed, but building in a system of routine checks can minimize the occurence of easily avoidable risks. I already have enough NSTIWTIWGTD stories, thank you very much.

Blue skies,

Winsor

At our DZ, we check out the students. That's law. Jumpers on their own gear are encouraged to check each other, and my AFF grads seem to stick to the habit and have me check pins and routing on their gear. (Even though some have over 1000 dives now.)

I'll check before I gear up, and ask someone I trust to check if I bump something, which is very rare.

I've found misroutes bridles, uncocked pilot chutes, chest straps on velcro only, incorrectly assembled 3 rings, tucked away cut away puffs, cypresses off, incorrectly routed RSL's, Alti's WAY off (We're 5000 ASL so the coasties get caught) no goggles, wrong gear etc.

In the kite I keep a roving eye if I'm not JM, and have spotted stuff there too. Closed plenty flaps in the door too...

t

We have no formal sign off.
It's the year of the Pig.

No flightline check but at height me (and all I jump with) do pin and bridle check. Not mandatory though...that was weird when I came to Uk...:S

xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I jump at a small dropzone @ Clemson, SC with our college club. We stress gear checks during our training and everyone keeps an eye out for each other. Checking chest straps is a norm on the plane, even though I sometimes get funny looks. I have only caught tucked cutaway pillows before in the plane, but a couple of times people had their AAD's off before we go in the plane. I don't think signatures are necessary at a DZ of our size. There's only 4 people in the plane!

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

Cant speak for any DZ cept for the one I trained and jumped at 8 years back.

Above the pocono's in PA, at the time called Northeast Pennsylvania Ripcords
At that DZ a pin check prior to jumping was the norm.

I never once got into a plane there without getting the once over. If nobody volunteered, I asked someone to check me out. I was frequently asked as well. It was SOP. Havent been there in 8 years but I'd bet it hasnt changed.

I cant really say for sure about the "experienced" jumpers there. I was a newbie. I did learn the follow the practice asa student and continued after I got my A license.

I'll be jumping again come September and if the DZ i go to doesnt do it automatically, I intend to ask for a check.
I see it as a case of taking resposibility for your own safety so even if its not SOP at your DZ you can ask.
My guess is that whoever you ask will happily look you over even if its not policy.