jumpgod

Will I get my Rigg thru Airport Security?

Planning on taking a trip shortly for a vacation but I still want to jump. Any advice on airport security? Will they even let me take my rigg as a carry on? I have my CYPRESS card.

Anyone who has an opinion or any help or advice please feel free to respond.

Thanks.
"dude, where's my main?"

Do a search, you will find more info on it. The short of it: carry your cypres card(if you have one), and contact USPA to have them fax you a copy of the letter your particular airline provided them in regards to their specific airline policies on rigs. Be patient, and understand these individuals working security are just trying to do the best job that they can.
Have a nice trip!

Ziptie your reserve and cutaway handles down (please please please REMOVE them when you get to the DZ), to keep them from being pulled.

Don't offer info freely, stuff like "yeah the little explosive operates the cutter" will get you sent away with your rig in pieces.

Call the airline you're going on, get them to fax you a letter saying that your rig IS approaved carry on. There were letters of that nature posted here a while back, you might be able to find them.

Remember, the security at airports are basically high school drop-outs that get paid minimum wage and need a reason to prove their authority so they can feel like they're big and successful.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ok, rgr.

i won't be able to zip-tie my handles because they are pillows (guess i'm concerned about getting them snagged while freeflying) but i will use my Cypress card and try to find that letter here or at USPA.

thanks for the help... further comments always welcome.

jg
"dude, where's my main?"

Aggieland this past weekend was my first trip traveling with my rig and I was kinda nervous. Had a letter from the airline ad my Cypress card but never needed either. Yeah - they stopped my bag on the x-ray machine and looked it over but then sent it down and off I went. I also appreciated the suggestion of asking for a seat towards the middle to back of the plane so I knew I had room to get it over my head. Worried over nothing - coming and going. It was all good! Good tips from Foz, just be patient and be prepared whether ya need to be or not.....Have fun traveling - I know I can't wait for my next trip!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I just flew international: Seoul/Incheon to Tokyo Narita to Chicago/O'hare to KCI. I checked one rig and carried the other on board in a backpack. The security folks, both foreign and U.S. were more interested in my laptop. My backpack was searched once and the inspector did not even look in the main compartment, just the pockets. My checked bag was opened and searched once where I had a full view. The TSA guy opened the bag and swabed the inside, but did not open the gear bag that my rig was in. He seemed more interested in the empty, cardboard, padded shipping box that the cypress came shipped in which was in my bag. No questions and no hassles. B|

CDR

I've flown a bunch of times international and domestic without a problem... Let the ticket agent know that you're carrying skydiving equipment, let security know that you have skydiving equipment, and get your gear in an overhead compartment before they fill up...
The security are always more interested in my camera helmet. Be nice if they do ask you anything.

If you are flying Southwest Airlines they have Cypres specifically addressed in their Operations Manual and a counter supervisor will be glad to get you a copy of the page. I had it when I flew to Chicago with them two weeks ago but didn't need to use it at either airport I used. You can also print out the DOT approval letter for Cypres on the SSK website www.pia.com/SSK. Hope this all helps

Chris

Remember, the security at airports are basically high school drop-outs that get paid minimum wage and need a reason to prove their authority so they can feel like they're big and successful.

..seems to be everywhere the same in the world!:|

My rig has also fit under the seat of a Saab340 going to Couch Freaks in Ft. Dodge and also has fit in the overhead of a Canadair Regional Jet and also under the seat on that aircraft. I have one of the gearbags from Aero Tech Products of Deland Florida. The front part of the bag zips off and it usually contains my jumpsuits and other things. Makes it easy to fit on any airliner. I have my helmet in a seperate helmet bag from Square One

Also the Aero Tech bag is a solid color and non-descript. It has a pocket on the side for your business card and all seams are well sewn and taped so its built like a tank. The bag just never arouses suspicion in airports.

Chris

In the last week, I've flown out of both Orlando and Portland while carrying my rig on board in my gearbag. Both times, they took longer scanning my purse than they did my rig.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I flew from Milwaukee to Sacramento this past week on Delta and had no problem. On the way to Sacramento, I checked my rig. On the way back from Sacramento, I carried it on - no questions asked.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

If you are flying Southwest Airlines they have Cypres specifically addressed in their Operations Manual and a counter supervisor will be glad to get you a copy of the page. I had it when I flew to Chicago with them two weeks ago but didn't need to use it at either airport I used. You can also print out the DOT approval letter for Cypres on the SSK website www.pia.com/SSK. Hope this all helps

Chris

There is a letter written by SSK but I could not find one generated by DOT.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have flown three times with my rig, in the US post-9/11. All the stuff posted here is very accurate, but there is one thing I would add: departing out of Reagan National Airport in Washington DC with your rig as a carry-on is difficult/impossible. I followed all the advise stated here - letter, AAD explanation (i.e. not "CO2 cartridge" activated), talk with airline ticket agent, etc. When being screened, the TSA Xray tech diverted me for secondary screening; after that, I then spoke with security check point supervisor. The supervisor then got the NORTHWEST airlines supervisor over, again an explanation. Finally (20+ minute), they agreed that the rig itself was "ok," except for the fact that the rig (Infinity container, AAD, Saber170) and the carry-on bag in which I was carrying the rig (the standard appropriately-sized, wheeled carry-on bag) weighed "42 pounds" when the limit for carry-on baggage was "40 pounds." That weight (and the metal three-ring connectors) "could allow me to use the rig as a weapon." If I had been thinking on my feet, I could have said that I would just take the rig itself and check the empty bag, but I did not think to try that approach at the time.
I do want to emphasize that this is the only problem that I have had; in the DC area, no problems at DULLES. Returning home, no problems at Vegas or at Memphis, TN. National Airport has always been very strict (some could say anal) about security since it hosts a lot of VIP travel and the flight routes unavoidably travel over numerous potenntial targets. The security people were not rude (and neither was I) but the supervisor was not going to budge. Finally, as my flight was drawing near, the Northwestern supervisor took me to the front of their line and checked the bag with the rig. It got to Memphis fine, but as I explained to all the various people, I was uncomfortable with this idea due the cost of the rig. As a final not, this was only 2 months ago, so this can't be attributed to immediate post-9/11 spikes in security.
For it is worth....

Had a similar experience last week when flying out of Ontario, CA after the Big Way camp. I was "selected" for extra screening from the curbside checkin. My checked bag containing my rig went through with only a momentary second look.

However my carryon was emptied and the TSA agent held my weight belt up to eye level and asked what it was. When I said "a weight belt", she said "we can't let you take it on the plane." I asked for a supervisor who immediately came over, looked at the belt and shook her head no. Before anyone could say anything, an older woman who was apparently the main supervisor came over, picked the belt up and said "It's a weight belt, let him go" and dropped the belt back into my carry on. At least the agent helped me stuff everything back into the bag since I only had about 7 minutes to get to the gate.

Blue skies,

Jim

I did end up being delayed at the Oakland airport on the day I left the American boogie. They checked me all over with the wand, hand searched my purse and had a discussion with me about my rig. Must have been that post boogie adrenaline glow I had that made me look suspicious! :ph34r: Anyway, all I said was the the Cypres was spring-loaded, and the lady said, "Oh yeah, I've heard that before" and then she went on to tell me how she's always wanted to do a jump, yadda, yadda. But, it still all delayed me for about 15 minutes, I'm so glad I arrived early.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sparky

It is generated by SSK. They just have a letter on their website stating that Cypres is approved by DOT. As far as DCA goes, I think we'll just have to live with it. Use another airport, preferably Baltimore which is served by Southwest.

Chris

never had any problems, ladies at security even thought I was very courageous...
except passing through Paris (France) with Air France, they consider it as a Cat.4 Weapon...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Why does the ssk website post recommendations to check the rig, when everybody here has carried it on with no problems? Why do they suggest that I contact the airline before flying, yet it is said that I should NOT do that? Is there any document that helps at security? Should I or should I not carry my altimeter?
...FUN FOR ALL!

if you have to jump right away after your flight, ask at th echeck in desk if you can take it as hand luggage...
if you can afford a delay with your rig put it with normal luggage in the hold... especially in the US with piece concept (2 pces of luggage at 32 kg each)... here in europe we have weight concept (20kg in economy...)
If somebody asks me, I defend my point of view by saying that I need this device to save my life, and that if anything happens (Cypres broken, lines frozen ;-) etc...) while it is in the hold, my life might be endangered...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579