skydivejersey

Helicopter jumps...

Two factors,
First, all those moving parts are expensive, about ten times as expensive as Cessnas. Since the first ten seconds after exit are the most fun, there is not much point in climbing above 4500 feet.

Secondly, despite popular opinion, helicopters are hopelssly inefficient climbing veritcally. Most helicopter pilots will want to maintain at least 40 knots on jump run.

For the best fun get the pilot to take it to 5000/6000ft and slow down to a hover.
stand on the skids and step off backwards
make sure everyone leaves at the same time.
dropping in dead air is real fun.
be aware if you go unstable it can take a long time
to build up enough speed to work with.
just go do it and enjoy the experience :)

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

Some machines are more robust than others. If you're jumping something small, like a Bell Jetranger, Long Ranger, Squirrel etc, Have jumpers climb out on opposite sides and just fall off at the same time, so that there is minimum torque on the rotor head. Those things are expensive, and fragile.
MI 8's, or bigger machines are less sensitive to this.
40 kts is a safe standard minimum out of small helicopters.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

my pull height is 4!

what hieght will you burn down too from a helo before you pull?

I'd take it down to at least 2,500.B|
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What kind of bird do you have lined up? I've only made 2 jumps from a Bell207 down in Wichita, and i would say they were some of the best jumps i've made..
Just be sure not to JUMP off the skid, just fall, trust me. :P
=========Shaun ==========

Well...its the next day..

Did 2 of the twin squirrel. First was standing on the skid with my mate opposite and just fell of backwards.

2nd was a 3 way skid hang on a sunset lift. That was the most fun I think I ever had on a jump. Falling away into total still air was awesome. Went from 5k. Pulled at about 2.5k. Landing on the beach and got treated to a fly by by my new best friend....

I cant stop grinning!!!!

my pull height is 4!

what hieght will you burn down too from a helo before you pull?

It depends on what I feel like pulling at. I definitely enjoy as much air as possible though.;) Then again, I'll also launch a 4-way exit from a 2000' pass.:S

I jumped from a Bell Jet Ranger hovering at 4k. Doors were removed and there was padding on the skids. The pilot told us it was important for all 4 jumpers to leave the heli at the same time for weight and balance. It cost $75 for the jump. That's all the specifics I can remember - have fun!
Rhonda
PP ASEL