JustRelax

before and in plane strategy

I posted this on here before, picked up on the tips and ran it past my JM (Deno). So here is my refined "Before the plane" and "In the plane" strategy for anyone's interest.

This is a suggestion for someone just finishing their AFF or equivalent training:

Before getting in plane

1. Work out wind direction and landing pattern.
2. Clothes check – shoe laces? Zipped up?
3. Complete gear check back and that Cypres is on.
4. Complete gear check front.
5. Accessories check.
6. Check gear of others before we get in.
7. Check exit order and pick up what other divers are planning to do.

In plane strategy
1. Check altimeter is at zero
2. After getting seated check my handle (and after any other movement in the plane.
3. Plane takes off, I look out window and enjoy.
4. Then I think of my reserve and think if they kick me out under 2.5k I will pull it.
5. Then at 3k I take my helmet off.
6. Then I think through my dive in my head.
7. Then I look at the clouds and enjoy any conversation.
8. Then I go through my dive in my head again.
9.Then I look at the clouds and enjoy any conversation.
10. We're at about 6k now so my JM will get me to say the dive out loud - I do so. If they don’t ask I ask them to listen to me and confirm. This won’t happen after AFF training is over.
11. Then I look at the clouds and enjoy any conversation. Make a note of what altitude the clouds are.
12. I might look at the rig of the person opposite. Even though that may be my Jumpmaster I am looking at their strap, rings etc. Others do this (my last jump the guy told me I had my goggles round my neck upside down!)
13. I enjoy the conversation and the clouds. If I think about anything it’s just about the climb out.
14. As we get to 9K its helmets on and we get into position (It’s a small plane). Check handle once in position.
15. I start using my peripheral vision looking out at clouds, instruments other people etc and I might tighten and loosen muscles, so feel my control and might feel my breathing.
16. I keep looking out and about.
17. Might put finger under goggles, to stop them misting up.
18. Now watching for door to open. I want to see it, not get surprised by it.
19. Then it’s get ready and when its my turn just shuffle out the door to whatever exit position and step through what I've trained to do.

THATS IT

4. Then I think of my reserve and think if they kick me out under 2.5k I will pull it.

Remember it is not like being at terminal while going through 2.5, you have a lot of time when you exit at 2.5.

Even with 14 jumps, I think you should be comfortable with deploying your main at that altitude.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Considering that i decide chop-or-not at 1800 ft, i would not recommend that advice you just gave to an AFF student.>:(

Standard emergency exit procedure (why else exit so low?) is a direct reserve pull.:S
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

>Standard emergency exit procedure (why else exit so low?) is a direct reserve pull.

Standard emergency exit procedure is a stable exit with an immediate canopy deployment (or as soon as possible to allow clearance from the aircraft.) If altitude permits (and 2500 feet does permit) then it's a better idea to have two chances at a good canopy rather than one. Reserves malfunction too, and 99% of skydivers are better at deploying their mains in a stable position than their reserves after an emergency exit.

Makes sense without a doubt, and i'd go for my main too.
Just to me at student status (and all students at the DZs i know) was tod to go straight for the reserve.
Just didn't want to confuse students.:S
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I agree, just relax:) It's good that you know what you're doing, and especially are making yourself aware of where the clouds are, etc... But, you don't have to worry you might forget one thing on that list if you don't have so many things on it. Get ur gear check, do your 3s check. Checking alti will just be a given. As will goggles, seatbelts, helmet, etc. Don't try to make everything a check list or you'll always wonder if you've done everything, and you'll probably always be a nervous wreck. Relax and enjoy the ride. Make chit chat.

I check my gear, gear up, check the 3rings, three buckles, three handles, & make sure i've got my alti, helmet & goggles. Once on the plane, everyone puts their seatbelt on. Everyone takes it off at 1k as well as helmets (which we're all waiting for in the florida heat!), so I just enjoy the ride, bullshit with others, check alti against someone elses, etc. Do another threes check when I stand up b4 exit, then jump:D As an aff student you should definitely always go through your dive in your head, it makes it SO much easier. RW divers do this, too.

Just have fun!
Angela.

I agree with absolutly every one of those points. May I add my own?
STAY AWAKE - Maybe not a terrible safety issue, but whenever i fall asleep on the ride up, i royally fuck up the dive - same with all my other fellow Relative workers. It's hard sometimes on early morning loads......
=========Shaun ==========

chew gum and meditate

and joke with anybody around me that wants to joke

or talk about gear with anybody around me that wants to talk about gear (read explain gear issues to me).

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Yeah, I know some of these arent essential and Im dont go through it like an absolute checklist. My idea though is to refer to it every now again and remind myself if im missing bits out because I want to be safe allert and attitude prepared.