winsor

Round Jumps at Rantoul

For anyone coming to Rantoul who is interested in jumping rounds, we will have a variety of airworthy gear at Load Organizer Tent 3. There will be at least a couple of ParaCommanders D-bagged in Wonderhogs with BOC throwouts (no CYPRES) and likely the odd cheapo.

If you're bringing any kind of a round, please touch base so we can organize an all-round formation. Perhaps we'll see how many people we can get into a baton-pass dive; at Quincy all we got was a two-way.

In any event, for people who have never jumped a round this is an opportunity to experience the best of the breed.

Blue skies,

Winsor

In any event, for people who have never jumped a round this is an opportunity to experience the best of the breed.

Been there, done that. But you know me, I'll be watching on the ground and cheering you on;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Been there, done that. But you know me, I'll be watching on the ground and cheering you on;)

I was thinking kinda the same thing. "Best of the breed'? With rounds? hahahahaha!

Well, it's still on my list of "things to do".

Sign me up, Winsor.

Got a piglett?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Winsor, there will be at least two PC's in gutter-gear rigs at the AFF tent, be sure to stop by to pick up a few more jumpers. A PC formation jump would be awesome...

_Am (who jumped his first PC today...)
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

cool.... i know one tent i'll be stopping by....... i've been wanting to jump the 35ft round i have but havn't found a container big enough to fit it in yet...

i've been wanting to jump the 35ft round i have but havn't found a container big enough to fit it in yet...

Do what we always told students Army jumpmasters would do to give confidence in the canopy -- just daisy chain the lines and jump out holding it in a paper bag:P

Better than 85% chance of opening :o

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wendy that's actually what i have ben planing on doing... just need a no wind day and have it close to the end of my reserve pack cycle so that when i hit the 15% i don't loose to much of a paid for pack job..lol.... or i could lways wear the dz cutaway harnes and cutitaway anyways and land my sport main...

Winsor -

Just remember what to pull down on when you're landing. :-)

kevin k.

Okay, okay, so it's a bad idea to try to land a cheapo as though it was a Sabre.

For those of you who don't already know, burying the toggles on a modified round does not induce a flare - it results in an immediate SINK.

Should you apply both brakes vigorously at around 20', the amount of time you have to set up for a PLF will be reduced severly.

If you are jumping a round like it's a round and are already set up for a PLF, it will just be a bit more vigorous a landing than usual.

If, however, you are lacksadaisical and expect to snap into PLF position at the last second, there's a good chance you can hit asymmetrically and break something (like a tarsal). This is particularly true if you're wearing TEVAs instead of Paraboots.

There's nothing wrong with an old 7-TU if you jump it accordingly. If you wish to make it up as you go along, the "if you're going to be dumb, you have to be tough" rule of thumb applies.

Blue skies,

Winsor

For those of you who don't already know, burying the toggles on a modified round does not induce a flare - it results in an immediate SINK.***

Winsor --

A group of Herd jumpers about 15 years ago put on 7-tu's with belly mount reserves and went out to build a five way just for the heck of it. It was more fun than you can imagine! Tracking away, however, was a different story. Some things are easily forgotten -- like spotting for a round canopy!

Anyway, as an aside to your plan, it might be nice to have 7-cell F-111 canopies available for jumpers to try since there are many jumpers who have jumped only zero-p or elliptical canopies and every reserve ride I've witnessed recently has resulted in a major hammer job since folks expect their reserves to flair like their mains. I've been hyping having students jump reserves as mains for quite a while and you are just the guy to take this on!

Love,
Elaine

I am extremely interested.I've never jumped a round and it's been on my " to do list". I have a million questions so I'll be sure to find you!
f@#$ing cool!
---------------------------------------------------------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!