freeryde13

can 2 ride 1 chut in emergancy

Well yeah or just wear one of those reserves that whats his face uses under his jump suit that jumps with his main rig in his hand (see pic at manifest in Eloy). Also he will tell you all about the hidden rig if you ask him about it, so I am not giving anything away here any ways. Then that way if it doesn't work at least there is a back up plan...

On onther note, I was a test passenger for a practice tandem over this past weekend for someone to get there tandem rateing. Any ways, this very thought went through my head on the way up..."What happens if he forgets to hook me up? Could I track down to someone under canopy and grab ahold of them?" I have to tell you after you have jumped for a while and go up for a tandem, it is really strange not haveing any handles to touch. plus it is weird when you can't fly the canopy, let alone land it.

yeah, I've thought of this. I don't really think you could hang on during a terminal opening, but a Mr. Bill is not an adequate test, as you don't actually "have" to hang on (no negative consequences). That said, I'd damn sure try, whether I was the victim or savior. Another factor to consider is freefall speeds, as in the case you quote, the cameraman went rigless, which lightened him up 25lbs or so.
As for landing, I jump a VX loaded at 1.9, and a Xaos loaded at 2.1. The landing would suck, but I'd do my best to make it happen, even though the chance would be I would die too. If I had to latch on to someone else, I'd be hoping they were renting a student 260;)
It would really suck though to hook up (remember you are going to be going like 160-180 if you don't deploy fast, cause it's two instead of one), and then watch the guy you just tried to save slip away on opening, or worse yet, your canopy blow up, and you can't get to your reserve handle or cutaway because someone is on your chest. The other jumper may also be panicking and be on your back WTF!
Lots of what-ifs... it's winter you know!
Troy
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

the book says the opening shock will dislocate or break both of the chuteless guys arms, and so then the guy with the chute has to hold onto him the entire way down.

If this happens, why aren't my *legs* broken or dislocated when I open? How is having my legs wrapped in legstraps different than someone having their arms wrapped like that? Is it the extra weight? And if so, I would think that both people would be injured...
Owned by Remi #?

If this happens, why aren't my *legs* broken or dislocated when I open? How is having my legs wrapped in legstraps different than someone having their arms wrapped like that? Is it the extra weight? And if so, I would think that both people would be injured...

I might be off here, but I'd say it's about the distribution of opening force in a harness made especially for that purpose as opposed to same force being applied mostly to the shoulders. Although Greg Gasson's arms didn't seem broken or dislocated after hanging (on a wire, but nevertheless) on the leg straps through opening. But then again, the leverage was different in that case.

>If this happens, why aren't my *legs* broken or dislocated when I open?

Same reason it hurts more if you fall ten feet and land on your head rather than on your feet. Your body is designed to take loads in certain directions; upwards on your pelvis is a good way to take load. Sideways on your shoulders isn't. (Interestingly, the position that you're supposed to fly a wingsuit in is one of the _worst_ ways to take a load.)

>If this happens, why aren't my *legs* broken or dislocated when I open?

Same reason it hurts more if you fall ten feet and land on your head rather than on your feet. Your body is designed to take loads in certain directions; upwards on your pelvis is a good way to take load. Sideways on your shoulders isn't. (Interestingly, the position that you're supposed to fly a wingsuit in is one of the _worst_ ways to take a load.)

That makes sense, thanks.
Owned by Remi #?