pds

student rigs and AADs

i posted this poll about a year ago and at that time wasn't quite as specific as i meant to be. lets try it again, if you dont mind. i am just as curious as i was then.

Which AADs are the student rigs at your DZ equipped with?

i am asking about rigs utilized wholly or partially for training students. not interested in rental fleet that are not worn by students.

in addition to a census type poll, i am interested in opinions regarding which aad you would feel comfortable equipping a student rig and conversely which, if any, aad you would contraindicate for use in student rigs.
namaste, motherfucker.

bump

for the person with sentinals in student rigs - do you feel comfortable with that?

and for those with fxc in student rigs - would you jump an fxc? just curious as i have no knowledge of that device.
namaste, motherfucker.

I've jumped with both, although not a lot, and not since student days, or days when I used a DZ rig in the 70's. Both are considerably better than nothing, and have saves. Neither is as good as a cypres.

I taught lots of students who were going to make a jump using a Sentinel. I've taught some who were going to make a jump (S/L) with no AAD. I hope instructors tell students the same thing now they did then: it's up to you to land with an open parachute.

It was news among the (much smaller) DZs when a student had her Sentinel fire here in Houston. I also don't know if either the Sentinel or the FXC is still made.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We're currently using FXCs and Cypres on our student rigs. As our older gear is retired, it is being replaced with rigs equipped with Cypres AADs. As far as FXCs go, my ass was saved by one during one of my early dives. I think the FXC is still being manufactured, can't say anything for Sentinals.

As an aside, some of our transistion rigs are using Sabre2s. The results have been very good.

Easy Does It

We have 12 rigs - for first jump students - equipped with FXC 12000 AADS and large mains (290 and 230 square foot).
We also have 4 Expert Cypres installed in rigs with Hornet 190 mains that we rent to people with 15 or more jumps.
All of our tandem rigs have Tandem Cypres.
Back in the good-old-days I watched an FXC 8000 save a student's life and I have JM'd a bit with Sentinels.

Back in the 1970s - when I was a student - only wimps wore AADs.

and for those with fxc in student rigs - would you jump an fxc? just curious as i have no knowledge of that device.

Of my 130 jumps, 129 were made with an FXC. I just recently got my own rig, and would prefer a Cypres because it is a little more advanced and a lot more hassle free. However, I am short on money and in the process of locating an FXC to put in my rig. It's better than nothing and as long as you respect its operational limitations, pretty reliable.

i know a lot of people grouss about them beign inaccurate, but we've installed them on mains and test jumped them before. Ivariably, they all fired within the 300 ft window they were supposed to.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In Canada, prospective instructors have to play "student" a few times. If they refuse to jump student gear (i.e. Manta and FXC 12000) they get kicked off the course.
Also, I believe it is important for instructors to jump student gear every once in a while, just so they will remember what the student is experiencing.

Also, I believe it is important for instructors to jump student gear every once in a while, just so they will remember what the student is experiencing.

I am not sure why jumping student gear should help you remember what a student is experiencing. Students generally don't think "wow this canopy is reeeaally Sloooowww" when they jump. Students don't usually think "better not go for the 180 degree hook because of a student cypres".
The only way to remember what a student is experiencing is to think back to when you were a student. Even that might not work, every student is different.

just my 2 cents worth.