SKYWHUFFO

TSA ON CARRYING On RIGS

HEY! I was just on uspa.org and there is finally an official comment from the TSA on how to carry your rig on. I looked positive FINALLY! Maybe now skydivers will not get hassled when traveling with their their gear. I printed out the info and it's now in my gearbag for travels.
blue skies!
D

Kudos to the USPA for getting this taken care of, I think we finally have something to show the TSA screeners when problems arise. That's a Good Thing.

Unrelated, I think, to the USPA's work, but what is this?

TSA's Aviation Directive AVO 6100-47 "Special Screening Procedures for Parachutes" was issued on August 18. (The directive contains sensitive information and cannot be released.)

What, in this document, could be classified as sensitive? Really, enlighten me, I'm curious.
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

The exact procedure used to detect explosive residue, for example. To defeat such a test you have to know how it is performed.

C'mon, that's security through obscurity and it doesn't (and never has) worked; it just allows oppression to breed due to lack of oversight. Explosives detection technologies in use are well known and publically documented.

Personally, I think the TSA (and the DHS in general) is seriously abusing it's new-found powers and is taking full advantage of the lack of oversight.

Kudos to USPA though on getting something official done about this at last!
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

>C'mon, that's security through obscurity and it doesn't (and never
> has) worked; it just allows oppression to breed due to lack of
> oversight. Explosives detection technologies in use are well known
> and publically documented.

I agree; I just figure that's the rationale they are using.

Actually I had some of this information on August 13th in my conversations with the Deputy TSA Director of the Palm Springs, Ca airport. I had a minor problem clearing security with my gear last January. He was going to Fax me a copy of the directive but he didn't. Now I know why since it was sensitive information and I can understand that. I called Ed Scot the next day and he wanted to get a copy of the TSA data if they did Fax it to me.

I think the hassles should be over with if we follow a few simple rules contained in the USPA info. However I don't thnk putting your jumpsuit, gloves, pull-up cords, stow bands, helmet, audibles. and altimeter along with your USPA credentials in your kitbag is going to arouse any more suspicion from the screeners. i have a nice Aero Tech Products kitbag that fits my Mirage G3 MT sized container along with all of the above and still meets the size requirements etc.

Some of the screeners must have also had this info before the WFFC because the Bloomington-Normal airport screeners seemed to know what rigs look like etc and I just breezed right on through

Chris

I think the TSA just doesn't want to give a potential terrorist any ideas while keeping things Ok for us and keeping us as inconspicuous as possible from the other airline passengers. The same reason that we can obtain a copy of the regulations governing parachutes for transport on Southwest Airlines from their counter supervisor but these same regulations are not published in their reservations computer or on their baggage rules on their website. They choose to make this sensitive information for our sake and the safety of other passengers.

Chris

getting something official done about this at last!

Well, before we get too excited...I'm not sure what exactly got done. I was not reassured by the letter to USPA from the TSA. USPA's spin includes this sentence: "Screeners have been advised that under no circumstances are they to touch or pull handles or otherwise forcefully open any parachute. " However, the TSA letter clearly states that rigs can be completely opened, including _both_ parachutes being deployed. OK, I concede, now I get to be there when they do it. And the recommended window is 30 extra minutes. All right, so after getting to stand there helplessly while they do whatever they want (after all, they _are_ the TSA), I spend 6 of those 30 extra minutes repacking my main. Then I spend the next 24 paging a rigger who can do really fast repacks?? Seems to me that the only thing we've gained here is that 1) we can now watch the incompetence in action, and 2) screeners have (we hope) been taught not to CUT reserve ripcord cables with wire cutters. (Note that we don't KNOW they've been taught this, because the document is classified. We also aren't assured that they'll remember what they might have been taught, because they aren't exactly being paid what they should be paid if we want intelligent, vigilant, and courteous people doing this vital job. Oh sorry, was I ranting?) They can still pop my reserve, which I will then shove into my gear bag, and hope and pray that I can find a rigger who will be able to repack it in time for my training jumps/competition/whatever the next day.

Grrr. I'm going to bed before I get so cranky I start a bloody coup (Mr. Ashcroft, are you listening? Put another letter in my secret secret file!).
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

It's a pretty fair compromise.

The USPA should be congratulated on getting this pushed through and you should be grateful they are working on your behalf.

If you use your imagination just a little bit you should be able to see that this current policy actually puts them at a heck of a lot more risk than it does you at this point.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I just recently flew Continental from Edmonton to New Orleans, with my rig in a carryon bag designed for it. No problems at all through US Customs, with the TSA, or coming back through to Canada. The only comment a TSA officer had in Houston for the connecting flight was that I was crazy. No one even suggested opening anything.

Maybe I was just lucky not having any hassles, but it's good to see USPA is going a bit further to make it so.

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Now if there is a way they can tell other countries that it is allowed to carry on parachutes...

The lame excuse they used here when they opened my chute was "united states told us not to let rigs as carry on when flying to the states".

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com