WrongWay

Tarnished from student status??

Okay, I warn all who reads this ahead of time, it may sound like more of a rant than a question or statement, so please forgive me, I don't mean to slam anyone. I've been troubled by this for a long time, and this is where I finally come out and state a problem that plagues me, as I'm sure others have suffered through the same things I have, and I seek to fix this, or at least figure out the source of the problem, so here it goes. This all starts with the way I got my name, Wrong Way. When I was on student status, I made several off landings, hence giving me the name. Since then it has simply stuck with me, becoming who I am, and since I pride myself as a person, I pride the name that comes with me. However, since that time, people have seen me as a "bad" skydiver, just because of the name. In my opinion, I've shown time and time again how much I think safety is a #1 priority, and they say I'm dangerous because I'm "Wrong Way". Even my intelligence is degraded every time I step foot on the DZ, simply because I'm "Wrong Way". The idea of all of this is because my name is Wrong Way, I can't do anything right, even when I am. I was at one time cocky, arrogant, and to be frank, I was an asshole. I overjudged my skills and talked more shiest than I could back up in the air. All of this was brought to my attention by a true friend of mine (you know who you are, thank you) and since then I have not only changed my attitude over the last year, but I actually went to my friends at the DZ and personally gave them a sincere apology for my behavior. Since then everything was fine, or so I thought, until I once again walked in on another conversation about myself, and how I do everything the "Wrong Way". To joke with me to my face is fun in a friendly manner, but to slam me when you think I'm not there is not being funny. It's putting down other people that you don't even know well, don't even jump with, you just assume that because of my name, it places a handicap on my flying skills. Well, I for one am tired of being labeled as someone who can't fly simply because I made mistakes as a student. People just don't realize the damage they do to people in the sport when they are destroyed rather than encouraged. I personally know a few who dropped out of the sport simply because people came up to them and placed labels on them because of their student status, thinking they were unable to fly. They lost hope, and even worse, they lost the sense of family that we skydivers share so deeply. To me, all of this is like being shunned by my own family, and I am deeply confused as to who my skydiving family truly is, and who my true friends are. I am speaking for myself, and for anyone else who hasn't been given a fair chance to prove their skills, and overcome their student reputations even 250 jumps later. Please, do not judge people by the past, it does more damage than you would imagine. It makes people feel left out of family, and I don't want to see anyone else, especially myself, forced to leave the sport because of something years before. For anyone at SGC reading this (and I know you are), please, drop me a line and let me know of your thoughts on this, and if you don't want to post anything, email me. [email protected]. To everybody else, have a heart, you don't know how much your words can encourage a jumper or break him.

Wrong Way
http://www.skydivewrongway.com

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

This is totally off-topic for this thread, but you've reminded me:

On AFF stage 2, I had about four of five line twists. I was kicking out of them OK, but my radio had also managed to die. The TA couldn't see what was going on except that I was drifting out over the lake... apparently he was shouting into the microphone:

"Joel! You're going the WRONG WAY!"

Thought I was just spacing out and ignoring him. Much hilarity ensued after I came back (on-target, thank you) and heard what had been going on.

I'd be pleased witha nick like that... sounds like you just need to find different people to jump with.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I don't think that his point was that he minded the nickname... it is kinda cool, has a story that goes with it... but more the people who use it as an absolute label and talk him down behind his back and think that somehow he is a bad flier because of his name...

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Are there any other dropzones in your area?
Lose the handle and the website. If you use Wrongway people will think it's OK.

Personally I wouldn't be so sensitive. This is a
hardcore sport with edgy personalities.

All new skydivers are hazed to some degree, myself included. I think the reason for this is that there are so many POSER skydivers. They do 1 tandem and they never come back, but damn if I don't see them with a closing pin around their neck! It's funny.

When I got my own rig, it showed people that I was serious. They saw that I was making a true commitment, as we all know rigs aren't cheap!!!

scott

I don't think that his point was that he minded the nickname... it is kinda cool, has a story that goes with it... but more the people who use it as an absolute label and talk him down behind his back and think that somehow he is a bad flier because of his name...

That's exactly the point. I love my name, it's part of who I am, and the story behind it. It's the fact that I see people judging everyone elses flying skills and intelligence level by the name that they gave them. It's kind of ironic really.

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Don't want to tick you off, but if all that bothers you why the website called www.wrongway.com? And why use that handle with your post? At first glance it seems you have been perpetuating the problem (to some degree). Maybe I'm wrong -- just a thought.

It's not the name, I love my name. It's just that even though I got it years ago, I'm still judged by my skills THEN and now NOW.

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Hey buddy.

I hear you. Who the fuck would want a nickname identifying you as the loyal sidekick to a maverick white guy with guns and a mask! Add to that it means "crazy" in Spanish - which I only discovered from a somewhat nervous AFF 1st jumper in the US who said I wasn't much like my name!

Keep jumping. People forget. Names change. One day you'll be the last man standing and no one will remember why you got your name. You could change the story then.

Whuffo asks. "Where ya going son?"
Wrong way replies, "to the Dropzone"
Whuffo exclaims "Wrong way, buddy!"

Chin up. Soon your skydiving will speak more than your name.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Obviously I don't know you so I have no clue about why anyone thinks you mess up a lot or whatever, but have you taken a good look at your current skills? As I said, I'm not trying to say you suck or anything. I'm just saying the possibility is there. :)
I've seen people that have similar situations. "I would never jump with ____, he's dangerous..." even though they haven't seen the person jump in years and only heard rumors. BUT, sometimes there's a good reason rumors get spread. Sometimes there isn't. Maybe you should take one person that thinks you're dangerous aside and ask for an honest answer of why he thinks you're CURRENTLY unsafe.

Dave

Hey buddy. I went through the same thing. I totally sucked as a student and right off student status. I was always judged on the way i used to fly. It took a lot to finally overcome that and get people to realize i wasn't dangerous. Now people actually like jumping with me and i even coach newbies. :)
I've jumped with you many times and i know you're not dangerous. If people are giving you shit, find new people to jump with. You know i'd jump with you again anytime!! Trying to "prove" to people that you don't suck isn't worth your time. Just continue jumping and being safe. You have far too much enthusiasm and passion for the sport to even think about quitting.

And keep the name, it is YOU!! I even have you programmed in my cell phone as wrongway.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

LOL...
I sucked under canopy when I first got off student status. My first solo jump after AFF I landed in a swamp with my canopy stuck in the surrounding trees. I was immediately dubbed "Swamp Thing" by friends and co-workers. The instructor that helped me retrieve my gear told me that "if I was going to be stupid then I'd better be tough."

I wouldn't let it get to you.

Wow that is funny - no offense meant - but serioulsy, I was given the name Beavis by my original mates back in Wisconsin. I pride myself on my intelligence, and seriously used to get so irritated when they'd make fun of me, and other people would pick up on it and think I had the intelligence level of the actual Beavis lol.

Anyhow - after awhile, I chalked it up to skydiver love. It can come in all shapes and sizes, but more times than not, it comes in the form of talking shit, at large amounts no less.

Just make sure you are doing things the right way when they count!

Edited: I didn't let too many people know my nickname from Wisconsin when I finally moved out to Colorado either ;):D

Good luck!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

hey wrong way, dont worry dude, find some other jumpers to jump with, there are certain people that like to spray negative comments about skydivers all the time, most of them never even have jumped with you and yet they're telling people to watch out from you,
its funny how sometimes you see them , and they're the ones walkin on crutches, and in the wheelchair !!
now, doesnt that make them feel fucking stupid ??
dude just ignore them.

Keeping it real 22x7

~Vibes WW~

It's tough to be treated like the village idiot. Once that spotlight's on you, it seems like every flaw minor or major is open for communal examination and comment. You can do everything right for 100 jumps, then a visible mistake occurs, and tears it all down.

Rise above.

Rise above and wait... Another village idiot will eventually come to take your place.

When he does, show him kindness.

Reread Tonto's post. Tonto make heap good sense.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Skydiving is a tough sport with inherent risks and a need for thick skin. I pulled low at jump# 161 ( approx 1200 ft.) Had first malfunction while passing through my cypres altitude reserve fired wrapped around my leg went in under spinning line overed reserve. I still catch mad shit about that one. I am just glad to have survived and still be here to take the ribbing. If they don't care about you they won't be speaking of you. Like the nickname.

Gweedeaux

This all starts with the way I got my name, Wrong Way

You keep this name and it will always be seen as bad..Period no one cares that it started as cute.

I used to be called "young punk" by some...I was young, and bullet proof. The name was ment to be cute..And it was for the group that started it (A bunch of old fuckers...I think they were around 30 to 50.)

Anyway when others started to call me that...I ended that name...It was not for them to call me that.

People just don't realize the damage they do to people in the sport when they are
destroyed rather than encouraged. I personally know a few who dropped out of the sport simply because
people came up to them and placed labels on them because of their student status, thinking they were
unable to fly. They lost hope, and even worse, they lost the sense of family that we skydivers share so
deeply. To me, all of this is like being shunned by my own family,

If being kidded made them leave..then they didn't need to be here.

Please, do not judge people by the past

You don't want to be judged by the past?...Loose the name from the past...Quit living in the past.

You are just continuing it by going by that name.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

[[If they don't care about you they won't be speaking of you. ]]
one thing is to talk smack about you when youre present and be making fun out of you and thats cool
, but another is when people talk shit behind your back and use your name as a bad reference, which in the end nothing good comes out of it.
if you suspect something is wrong with a jumper's flying skills why dont you have the balls to confront him one on one and talk about it, fuck even do a jump with him.
but if you just want to "be cool in a conversation and just disregard the reputation of a person" then I totally think thats pretty inmature and out of line. skydiving is a sport thats full of gossip,
blackballing doesnt help, some weak minded individuals take for granted what they hear. i know im speaking pretty big, but this is sometihing that sometimes annoys the shit out of me when i hear stuff like this happening.

I have flames for breakfast, so bring them on.

Keeping it real 22x7

I could not agree more. It sucks to be the subject of that sort of behavior. I find it best to just ignore it. At the DZ and out in the world. It is small minded people that gossip about others. As a point of fact I am not familiar with any of the participants in the aformentioned incident. I was simply giving a different perspective from which to look at it.

Awww..... thanks Che, you're a true friend. B| Hey I still need to come up to Chicago, call me sometime so we can hang out when I get up there, and tell me when Alchemy's gonna be back from the world meet, k? Thanks again!! :)

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Don't want to tick you off, but if all that bothers you why the website called www.wrongway.com? And why use that handle with your post? At first glance it seems you have been perpetuating the problem (to some degree).

Yeah, I think you're going about this all the wrong way.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I don't think you guys have been paying attention to the point here. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE NAME. I LIKE MY NAME. What I'm saying is it's not fair to experienced jumpers to be treated only by reputation gathered from their student status. I don't give a shit that my name is Wrong Way, I like that, read all my posts, I've tried to explain it like 5 times dude! B| Okay, lemme put this into different terms. Let's just say you walked onto the dz for the first time, and got the nick of "shorty" cuz you hooked up witha girl there and she spread the word that you were NOT endowed. Then, a year later, after your name has become nothing more than a name, you're still not getting any, so you decide to get an enlargement. Now you're huge and everybody else thinks you're still hung like a gerbil. Is that a good enough analogy??? :P Okay so that's a $%#@ up analogy, I know, but it's the best I can do!! :P What I'm trying to say is this has nothing to do with the name, just the student rep from years before, understand???? Besides, I'm waiting for people from this dz to write and tell me their thoughts, but for some reason they haven't. Come out, come out wherever you are, tell me whats up here, okay?? Thanks!!!

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Yeah, I know, just giving you shit.

I actually feel the same thing because I do CRW and several people I jump with are considered to be goofs, so I feel like I'm thrown in the same category.

Fuck it, jump and have fun.

PEACE
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Hey Wrongway. Been awhile since I've seen you. :)never spotted a load off of the dz, but there will still be people who will always question my ability to spot.

If it get's so bad that you can't deal with it or work it out with the people who are saying things about you, maybe you should think about spending more time at a different dz, where you will be coming into the crowd as a developed skydiver instead of a clueless student.

Off topic: You going to be at richmond next weekend?

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Scott!! What's up dude?? Long time no see. Yeah, it's SGC. See, I love the DZ, and it has a great program, and wonderful people all around, I'm just trying to find a way to kill a stupid rep. without blooying anyone up. :P I'd love to go to Richmond, but I'm not sure if I'll have the financial means. [:/] Do you know if they have any big names doing coaching this year???

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.