selbbub78

Packing New Canopies

Hey guys,

I just bought my own canopy (i've been borrowing a friend's up to this point). It's a Sabre 190, same as the one I was packing, the only difference is that there are only 90 jumps on this canopy, and it's incredibly slippery. I've been having tons of trouble getting it into the bag, and making it still look like I have the s folds in it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

bubbles :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

First off, don't worry! Your canopy is right that the point where it starts to loose its slipperiness.
Next, let me say I feel your pain; I started to use a Sabre2 150 at 14 jumps, packing it into a rig that is only meant to hold a 135 (the manufacture of my rig told me flat out it would not fit). When I got it, it had zero jumps, and according to the rigger who packed the reserve, the main was EXTRA slippery. Oh, and to top it off, I had never put a canopy in the bag before.

Ok, with that said, ask for help. Many people have been in your situation where they need to ask someone more experienced to help them. Just please remember that in the future, if you see another low time jumper struggling with their canopy to be there to help them out.
Its just takes experience to know how to control a slippery canopy. There might not be much you can do differently other then keep trying.
So long as you know what you should be doing, just wait, eventually you'll learn. Hey, I didn't quit and my pack jobs are down to about two and a half hours:)

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

you can always ask your local rigger at your DZ if he has any special tricks to show you. Most riggers are pretty experienced with getting slippery canopies into small bags, so they can show you a bunch of little things that make the entire packjob easier.

Or I guess you could always watch a packer pack yours, and see if there's anything special they do.

I've packed real slippery pd demo canopies before, so I know what hell you are going through. B| good luck

MB 3528, RB 1182

Learning how to properly control the canopy is the key. It can be very challenging. If you look at the Psycho-pack photos, they flip the canopy over, place the tail so the canopy is V shaped and then fold the right and left 'ears' of the V so it's cocoon'd to the width of the bag and roll it up.

I do a similar thing w/ my PRO-pack, with none of the 'psycho' stuff.
Since I'm on the canopy until it's in the bag, cock the PC once I get the canopy on the ground. Standard pro pack, roll the tail, canopy on the ground, cock PC. Do Not flip the canopy over.

1. Get the remaining air out of the canopy and smooth the top skin so the canopy is V shaped.

2. Fold the left 'ear' of the V under the canopy, then fold the right 'ear' under the canopy. The canopy should now be the width of the bag and the left ear should be somewhat sandwiched between the top skin (against your body) and the right ear. This is similar to how you fold a letter to put it in an envelope.

3. Place left forearm across the top of the canopy pinning it to the ground, hop up (do not move your forearm) and place your left shin where your forearm is.

4. Make the first half of the s-fold, keep right hand pressure on the warning label, release the top portion of the canopy and place a knee on the right and left side of the warning label.

5. Complete the s-fold should be easier. Overlaping the 'ears' tends to lock the cocoon and prevent the canopy from sliding/ slipping. Continue maintaining control and bag it. No psycho-rolling flipping stuff.

When I bag the canopy I usually have the bag turned inside out. Set the folded canopy on the bag and then work the bag over the canopy using one hand to control the canopy and the other to bag it.
I've used this technique on many brand new canopies and they go in the bag on the first shot everytime. And the openings are great.;)

Good luck!

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I also would recommend you psycho pack it.

fergs

B|

Yup! psycho-pack is the way to go..

alternatively, you could go rub it in sandy Perris-like dirt to make it lose it's slipperiness quicker.. :P
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Forget s folding. Get in on the ground, size it width wise for the container, and then with knees on slider links as usual, lift the far end of the canopy off the ground and roll the fukker under. I've been doing that for years on my Sabre and my openings are spot on 9 times out of 10.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Trust me: It builds character after time :D

lol, i don't need character, i just need to be able to JUMP!!!!!

Seriously thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it. Hopefully i'll be jumping before this hurricane hits us... :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Hey,don't panic.Getting the "Roll" to "Fold" is the trick.I slammed a 230 new ZP in the bag the first time 2 weekends ago.After the first one worked,I just kept "Keeping the air out as you get it in the bag".I pull the bag around the folds.It's easier than trying to stuff it.Keep at it,it comes.

I would definitely suggest you have some experienced packers show you in a more hands on way tips for doing this. I'm not sure it's a good idea to grab a sentence or two from a bunch of different people on a forum and try to run with it.

Then again I'm kinda a visual type of person when I learn things so ymmv.