Brian425

Working on exits.

Well, I am off AFF status and I am doing my coach jumps. I still need to work on my exits. For some reason, I put my head down on about half of my exits. For some reason I cannot break this habit.

I have been working on my exits in the mock up. I still cannot seem to get it right consistently in the plane. I know that the ground is there and I will not miss it.

Does anyone have any advice? I will be working with my coaches this weekend. I just want to try to work some of it out before going up to jump.

Thanks,
Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I'm jumping from a twin otter. I always get stable quickly; but, I want to work had on this part as I feel it's important. I have already passed my AFF requirements; so this is just a personal goal.

I always see the plane, the problem is it's usually a case of see green, see plane, see ground, get stable. Oh well, I'll keep working on it.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Well, I am off AFF status and I am doing my coach jumps. I still need to work on my exits. For some reason, I put my head down on about half of my exits. For some reason I cannot break this habit.

This is actually very common, so don't worry too much about it -- you'll get over it.

Typically what happens is that for the first second or two out the door the person is slightly disoriented, in a sort of mental haze and isn't truly aware of his body position. I think this has to do with a couple of things; maybe a little residual nervousness at skydiving in general and the sudden change from standing inside the plane on something solid to not having full support as well as the change from near zero to 100 mph winds. It's just a little disorienting.

With experience will come a bit more relaxation and with more relaxation will come a better awareness of what it is you're actually doing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quade,
My instructors have passed me on every level. My exits are acceptable by student standards. I just feel that it's the one thing where I need the most improvement. I did two hop and pops Sunday. I find that I focus on my exit MUCH more on the hop and pops. My coach said she wouldn't let me do H/Ps if she did not think I could do them safely.
My goal is to use these coach jumps and pre A jumps to work on this. Relaxation is a big part of it. Eventhough I feel confident that I can complete my dives safely, I still get a little nervous going to the door. I guess it's just a matter of more jumps to get comfortable.
So I think my plan is right. Work in the mock up to try to get good form; then jump as much as possible to work on it.

Thanks,
Brian

I'm not saying you're unsafe, simply that the issue is common -- even among experienced skydivers, folks with say 100 jumps or even more. I could show you pictures! Pictures of very experienced and safe skydivers that for some reason, have a little tiny -moment- right when they exit the plane.

If you want, you can use the excuse I used to use . . . "Wheel Burble". You must have caught the "Wheel Burble" on exit and it "stole your air". ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quade,
Sorry if I sounded a little defensive. I did not mean that. I just wanted to say that my instructors feel I am safe and can move forward. It's just that I have watched a few other people exit and they are the picture of a perfect exit. My goal is to get as close to that as possible. Especially since I am paying for people to help me work out these things.

I will definitely use the "wheel burble" I might get a kick in the ass from my coach but I think it will make them laugh.

Thanks for the advice and a new excuse for why my exits aren't perfect.

Brian

two things that helped my exits:

1) try to see if you can hang out the door on rear float and get yourself out into the airstream, then exit. It helps prepare yourself for the jump from inside the plane to outside. It helped me.

2) someone told me this when I was having trouble with my hop/pops after AFF. Imagine you're riding a motorcycle for the first few seconds after exiting (hands up in an arch though obviously :P). The air will be coming at your chest and your feet will be pointed toward the ground. Feel yourself slide off the hill, it's fun! B|

(not to mention asking your instructors/coaches!)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I have to agree with Quade...disorientation for the first few seconds is perfectly normal in a new skydiver. Personally, I was never so excited in my life as I was the first time I actually "saw" the plane as I was exiting (jump #30 or so).

As your instructors have indicated you are not having real specific problems on exit (your muscle memory is kicking in), I think it becomes important to focus on a specific task at the moment of exit. Talk with your coaches. They may suggest you focus on maintaining eye contact with them throughout the exit...or perhaps it may be more helpful for you to focus on seeing the plane.

Either way...hang in there. Learning to skydive well takes a little time. And remember, if it were easy...everyone would do it:)

I will defintely stick with it. I've been working in the mock up to build up muscle memory. Hopefully it will work. I have hit two exits that were very good so I know the feeling. I just want to be able to repeat it at will.

I actually enjoy going out unstable. On my solo, I was told to dive out and grab my legs. It was the most fun.

Thanks for advice and support.

I will probably repeat what has been already said but anyway. It is absolutely natural to look down because we always tend to look in the direction we are going. Do not try to tell yourself "do not look down" Instead, try to look up, at the wing tip as you leave the plane. ;)

Quade,
My instructors have passed me on every level. My exits are acceptable by student standards. I just feel that it's the one thing where I need the most improvement. I did two hop and pops Sunday. I find that I focus on my exit MUCH more on the hop and pops. My coach said she wouldn't let me do H/Ps if she did not think I could do them safely.
My goal is to use these coach jumps and pre A jumps to work on this. Relaxation is a big part of it. Eventhough I feel confident that I can complete my dives safely, I still get a little nervous going to the door. I guess it's just a matter of more jumps to get comfortable.
So I think my plan is right. Work in the mock up to try to get good form; then jump as much as possible to work on it.

Thanks,
Brian

ok i got it...

is your coach cute?.. try pictureing her naked just as you let go of the plane... your a guy so i bet you will want a second look.. so take a look up at her watching you exit...."she's naked remember".. and i bet your exit will go just fine then...

you may even laugh at how well your exit goes...

ohh and trust me.. im not kidding... try it....

just stay arched until you see the plane above you.

Besides once you start jumping with other people, you will be anything but stable on exits. Being unstable is fun:)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I'm going to work on them; but, I will not worry about them. When they come, they come. Until then I'll just relax and enjoy the ride.

Bubbles,
Go to the Ranch on Saturday. I have things to do so it should be sunny and warm. Have the carbide and rain gear ready for Sunday, I'll be up early. :)