dgskydive

Do you wear your helmet during take off and landing?

Thats one pointy and heavy . . .

That's exactly why they shouldn't wear it.

. . . pointy and heavy projectile you have there in the event of a crash.

For clarificatiion: It Should, however, be secured during take off and landing for the same reason.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I always wear my helmet on take off.

I haven't landed with the plane since my last load of static line students, more than two years ago. I used to skip the helmet altogether on those loads (unless I was jumping), because it was such a hassle to manage my helmet while trying to manage those squirmy students :P.

If I found myself landing with the plane, yes, i would put my helmet back on. It's the whole "dangerous projectile" thing. I wouldn't want someone to get hurt by my flying helmet in the case of a crash.

I usually don't, because I most often have the video on it, and I don't like that weight on my head if I can avoid it.
for take off, I have my helmet starpped to my chst strap, for landin, under canopy I wear it on my head, with the plane, hardly ever happened, only 4 landings, never wore it, don't ask me why
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

I don't believe my helmet would be a danger to anyone in the event of a crash

:o:o:o
You have to be kidding right! Ask any of the survivors of the Perris crash. If you aren't at least strapping it down I don't want you one my plane!

Oh my! I can honestly say I've never had anyone express any concern about my unsecured helmet on an airplane. Are you positive about your call?

Michael

I can honestly say I've never had anyone express any concern about my unsecured helmet on an airplane.

That's interesting. I've been on planes where the pilot won't take off if everyone isn't buckled in and wearing their helmet (or have their helmet secured secured). Or are you trolling?
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Must have a frap hat or some other kind of soft helmet. If you don't, then the people that are in the plane with you are a lot nicer than I am.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I can honestly say I've never had anyone express any concern about my unsecured helmet on an airplane.

That's interesting. I've been on planes where the pilot won't take off if everyone isn't buckled in and wearing their helmet (or have their helmet secured secured). Or are you trolling?

Well ...just a little bit ;) My head protection is a foam rubber kick-boxing helmet.

Remember, dgskydive, gather the facts first ...then make a decision.

Michael

With the cool helmet and even cooler stickers I have on it, of COURSE I wear it as often as possible: takeoffs, landings, packing, eliminating bodily waste and going to the post office. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

From take off to landing, the only time I take it off is to adjust my goggles on jump run. In addition to being safe and less hassle to keep it on my head, it makes a great earmuff against the noise. I do undo the chin strap though after 1000 feet.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I wear my helmet at all times below 1000ft, usually more like 1500-2000ft. If I am jumping my camera helmet, it is secured to the seatbelt or my chest strap(depending on location of the seatbelt and how much room there may be in that area). I feel that the heavier weight of the camera helmet would cause more damage to my neck then it would prevent in the event of a crash. It MUST be secured tightly, though, so it does not become a projectile in the event of a crash.

Mike

PHHHTTTTT!:P Everyone else knew what we are talking about . My last statment still stands. If your Foam helmet hits me in the face I am smaking you back with it!;) WE are trying to have a serious discussion here pal!

Actually, Dom, so am I. I'm not picking on you individually, but I wanted to make a point (circuitously perhaps) that we should look at situations individually instead of lending ourselves to the emotions of the tribal collective in skydivng.

Some actions are unsafe ...some aren't. Don't have all the facts? Don't make a call.

Until then we can slam each other around with foam rubber to relieve the stress.

Peace,

Michael

HELMET UNSECURED ....UNSAFE! UNSAFE!!!

I take mine off after we reach 1500 ft and put it back on when we hit 11K. If I kept it on during the whole flight, I'd sweat alot more. I also need to take it off to put on my goggles. If I kept the goggles on and my helmet the whole trip up, I'd be dripping with sweat and my goggles would be all fogged.