DangerMouse02

Jumping in a Costume

Jumping in any costume is hazardous. Santa Claus is the worst.

I know of one Santa, that had his beard tied on with a wire from one side to the other. The wire got caught on something as he opened and slit his throat.

Another Santa ( a former Golden Knight) died, as have many others.

I warned a friend of mine not jump as Santa. He said, " I need the money". He jumped and badly broke his leg. If you think that bothered the kids watching, your right.
Another member of my team dressed up as Santa and took the original bone break Santa's place on the big red throne.
First kid who sat on his knee peed all over him.

Its extremely dangerous to do these kind of jumps regardless of what the costume is.

If you insist on it, plan extremely well, leave nothing that can hamper your freefall or your opening....and the use of a reeserve, if needed.

I'd rather open extremely low than play with costumes....( actually I like lowees anyhow.)

best of luck to whoever does the costume jumps.

Bill Cole;)

Santa Claus is the worst

YUP!

Must be some kind of VOO DOO curse!

I was on a Santa jump in California a few years ago..

Santa lost both shinny black boots on
opening...
They landed on the roof of this huge mall!
Probably STILL there! :o

It was a hoot though...
I was an ELF!
I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs!!! B|

(Still have the green curly toe shoes...Duct taped 'em on!)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One of DZ.COM's occasional posters (Dsbbreck) made a jump earlier this year where he was wearing the Denver Broncos mascot costume for a promotional skydive. I guess Dave now shows up every once in a while on the stadium's jumbo-tron during a game making a skydive with this costume.

For the record, I believe he did have kind of a scary opening with this costume on that skydive.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

> Its not exactly safe to do a jump with a pumpkin on your head.
> Especially for a demo...it is easily dropped.
> Trust me, been there, done that, didn't drop it, almost did.

So... you would advise against jumping a pumpkin-head over congested areas? That sounds smart to me.

Would the pumpkin stay on easier if you put a pro-tec inside and sewed the pumpkin to the helmet in a bunch of places? Based on reading other posts, I'm trying to think of pumpkin-head securement that does not comprise excessive additional risk to the jumper. (Noting that the weight of the pumpkin atop one's neck adds risk by itself.)

(P.S. For anyone overly concerned, I promise to wait at least until next year to try this. I don't think jump 34 in my logbook should say "pumpkin helmet jump". :P)

Spiderman would make a good choice, I'd think, owing the recent movie release and all. Tight suit so there's no material obscuring your handles in freefall. No cape.

Wolverine might work as well.

Both are infinintly less faggy than Peter Pan.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

How about one of these guys?

Weve done it 3 years in a row, jumping into an institution for mentally disabled folks. Much fun, as some of them don't know you are not that person.

Yes, capes included, tucked in behind the rig on the hop-n-pop. Im superman.

Fun fun.

----------------------------
bzzzz

Spiderman is a good one to do. Only worry I had was my mask possibly blowing up slightly and covering my eyes. Didn't happen on either jump though. As you can tell, Batman joined the jump, complete with an apache (bat)wing to fly around.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92755211/92756177qUZtqP
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

We are doing jumps this weekend in costume for charity. We are looking at some mild publicity, etc, so I want something cool. Does anyone have recommendations about what would look good and retain some level of safety :P

PS I have no shame.

Recommend away......

What ever you decide to wear, don't make your first jump with it the demo. Jump the bugs off at the DZ, on a week day if possible.
Be Safe
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Jumping in any costume is hazardous. Santa Claus is the worst.
;)

I've jumped as Santa many times. I'll agree that there was an extra element of risk. The pumpkin suit that I jumped was more dangerous however. I wouldn't do that again. I needed the $400 at the time though.

never pull low......unless you are

Having jumped numerous costumes, the biggest thing is do lots of practice handle touches on the ground and in the plane. The other thing is to trying and go through as many scenarios as possible for the added risks of the costume. Gloved hands for example, something as simple as a costume glove having a different "feel" may cause alot of problems at pull time. And lastly, do several practice jumps at the DZ with the costume on before the actual event.
blue skies,

art

"Does anyone have recommendations about what would look good and retain some level of safety"

Elvis!

White jumpsuit, Elvis sideys, and big shades, piece of cake.
Thassawrightmomma!
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson