Nightingale

First Solo nerves....

I was going to do my first solo jump yesterday. Due to weather in the morning, I ended up taking a packing class instead...

and I was so relieved.

Yesterday morning, I was so nervous about the jump I couldn't eat breakfast.

Went into Square 1 to ask about gear... got even more nervous when they were telling me about collapsing sliders and resetting pilot chutes...

Then it started raining.

I wanted to kiss the sky gods.

Then people started suggesting I do my hop and pop, because the planes were getting up that high, at least... Sorry. My first solo jump isn't going to be a hop and pop on gear I've never used before. That's more than a little freaky.

I think if I'd gone up in the plane, I'd have ridden the plane down.

I do not feel ready to jump by myself, especially with gear I'm not familiar with... I'm terrified of not being able to find the hackey.

I actually wish I'd failed a few AFF levels so I could have more instructor jumps. I really love to skydive, but I don't feel like I'm ready to take that big step out the door of the plane all by myself yet.

Now that I've learned to pack, though, they want my first solo jump to be my own pack job too! I'm nervous enough as it is! Now, I not only have to completely trust my freefall and canopy skills, I have to completely trust my packing skills too!

Why am I not liking this idea?

is being this freaked out normal?

sigh...

[:/]

definitely normal...
funny though that you're at your 1st solo, and already Old Hand :P That's the miracle of DZ.com
maybe would have been easier if you did your 1st solo right after your AFF... But it's too late now.
Just go for a nice jump, doing nothing much... Let the pressure out and enjoy being alone in the sky.
Take care.
P.S. we'll be there with you, mind connecting
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Not sure what a coach jump there will cost ya but here we have some great peeps that will make a coach jump for $25 ( $18 for the ticket,$5 for the pack and $2 for the vidoe tape) No need to tell em ya scared just that you want to get to work on your freefall skills.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

"Aff teaches you everything you really need to know to stay safe." - Nightingale

Sound familiar?

"I do not feel ready to jump by myself, especially with gear I'm not familiar with... I'm terrified of not being able to find the hackey"

I'm sure you'll find the hacky no problem, just do a few PRCT's before pull time. You know the drill, if you can't find it after two attempts pull silver. It sounds to me like you're thinking too much, kinda like I was yesterday. ;) You're going to do just fine!

If they only have H&P altitude and you're nervous to do a solo, just go static line. ;)

I was S/L progression so for a long time my "comfort zone" was exiting the plane as close to 5k as possible. The words "45 second jump" struck terror into my heart.

Now, I agree with you that having more altitude for an unknown rig is a nice thing. Two jumps ago I transitioned from ripcord to pull-out and I did a 10k solo and did half a dozen main handle touches. (Again, being from S/L, I never did handle touches before.) I was greatly comforted to find that this slightly changed handle position (BOC) was more natural to reach in freefall than my good old buttcheek ripcord.

With details about the rest: I think it's normal to be nervous. Personally I never remember it's my own packjob until after I'm on the ground - I'm just concentrating on other stuff. But other students I was with said they were nervous.

My first solo jump was super nervous. I couldn't stop thinking about it for a couple days beforehand. Then real life happened and I stepped up like I do every time I jump and reality wasn't as scary as my imagination. Plus you can be slightly weenie on a solo - step exit instead of dive, no pressure to do all these maneuvers right and in time or FAIL (just have to keep your altitude awareness and pull on time or you might fail ;).

Your packjob will probably be fine. Slider up, lines in the middle, the rest is appearance more than anything. (Disclaimer: I have 41 jumps.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Hi, Kris....

Guess what? You're normal. You are doing well, and exactly where you should be, feeling what you should feel.

Here's my post about my first solo, where my alti did break...Clicky

Realize that you will be fine, you will find your hackey, you do not need to bring anyone into the air with you. You can move through this fear,a nd come out onto the other side of it...I promise.

PM me if you need to talk.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

just do it, the second you leave the plane I bet money everything will fall into place and you'll do fine. The next solo will be a lot easier. You just have to get over the "hump". It takes a few jumps. Don't sweat it, you're having fun right? Thats the point.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Take a deep breath.....

Try this on your first solo free fall...plan on exiting in whatever exit you are most comfortable with. After you get stable...do at least three or four practice touches of your hackey. What I am betting is after you get out there and find out you can maintain stability and find your main hackey...you'll have a blast. Relax...it's all downhill from here.

Why is it different than AFF? you jumped without anyone holding on to you for what 3 jumps? and they just sat there in front of you with a goofy look on their face as you did flips and circles, and immediately as your pilot chute hit air you were on your own. So how is solo different? My next jump is Aff6 and can't wait to go solo just so I can get out there and do whatever the heck I want to without any requirements, IE do this do that then ride the tube down. Have fun.

I was terrified on my first solo. There was just one other guy on the plane (182) and me, and I'd just done my AFF 7 about 45 minutes earlier. He was going to do a hop-n-pop, so I was going to have to open the door. Just the thought of that scared the shit out of me. Then the other guy decides to ride all the way up, which was a relief. On top of that, it had suddenly got very cloudy. Great. We got to altitude, and the other guy left. It was just me and the pilot. I said what the hell and just leaped out, and it was the BEST skydive I've had to date. No instructor, no drills, no nothing but me and the sky. It totally kicked ass. In fact, it was the first time I'd actually completely relaxed on a dive. I've only got 15 jumps, but I still love going out solo the best of all. Fortunately, I haven't yet learned how to pack, although I'm about to leave work and go jump a demo rig that is 20 s.f. smaller than anything I've jumped to date. JUST DO IT! Good luck!

Kris:

I did s/l training and my first pull was from 3500 ft on jump #9.

Butterflies are normal. Today, at 170 jumps flying a big 7 cell, I'd take a 5 second delay from 2000 and not have butterflies. Sure, that's cutting the hard deck fine but remember this...

5 seconds out of the Otter from 13,500 you've fallen 366 feet and are now falling at about 85 mph.

5 seconds out of a C-182 from 3,000 ft you've re fallen 366 feet and are falling at about 85 mph...

LAUNCH (BIG "X") ...2...3...4...5... REACH PULL! That's all there is. If you are looking up, you just watch the plane travel away for a few seconds and then pull.

Freaked at the ground proximity...? Don't look down. Really! you go BTE at about 5 seconds from a student arch and then you pull. that's all. you'll hardly notice a difference form a terminal deployment as long as you are stable. Unstable? You might get whipped around a bit and have a line twist or 2 - but we s/l students live with that from jump #1 :o.

"Define normal" ;)

Now go jump, dammit! Youll like it and will be better for it.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I think everyone was nervous on their first solo. I know I was, although my girl friend was doing her first and only tandem on that load. When I went through student training, the student rigs and rental rigs were the same so the equipment was not an issue. I was also nervous jumping my first pro pack job. Good luck and just remember to relax.

Big Ed

I don't exactly remember my first solo, but I think it was something like, ride to altitude... watch everyone leave, get in door, then one look back at the tandem and AFF on the load. At that point I realised how cool it was that I was the person that they were seeing go out of the plane with no one 'holding thier hand'. Was pretty cool.

Was a semi cloudy day and my goggles fogged up and I couldn't see shit. Made the next jump that same day, with better goggles and it was pretty damn cool. I think my second solo was the first time I saw the plane off in the distance diving because i was the last one out and I didn't really plan to do anything other than be floaty and look around.

Not having a major dive agenda is nice, after 7 AFF jumps.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I do not feel ready to jump by myself, especially with gear I'm not familiar with... I'm terrified of not being able to find the hackey.

It sounds like you have done super well so far and probably don't need an instructor on your next skydive. With that said, if you are nervous about it, then hire an instructor for a low key, no pressure, no TLO's jump with your new gear. There is nothing in the rule book that says you MUST make the next jump solo.

I like jumping alone and always have, and I'll bet you will too, but it obviously won't be fun if you are so nervous. Another couple of jumps with an instructor might be just what you need to "make it to the next level." Have fun...that's what it's all about.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)

P.S. If you get back to at Square One, see if they will let you take a look at my book, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy. It has a great chapter about Psychology that might help, and it's short enough that you may be able to read it in the store. Other books that might help include Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook (Poynter/Turoff) and Mental Training For Skydiving and Life (DeRosalia). Mental Training is thin book that is really targeted at teams, but there is tons of great information about learning to relax and take command of your life. I just re-read Mental Training last week and was blown-away by how fresh and useful the information is, even after reading it several times.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Hi Nightingale~
I know that you can do it, Nightingale. You are just having the same mental/emotional feelings that we all have. That is the most difficult part of skydiving in the beginning.

I was the opposite as I was very nervous (even terrified!) doing my AFFs (performance anxiety), and the first time that I felt extremely relaxed in the air was when I went to do my first solo as I had never done a tandem. It was recommended that I do my final AFF and first solo on the same day. Actually, I wasn't nervous doing my final AFF either, which I did on the same day, both were on a weekday and were my first and only times on a cessna as I thought that would make them more special. After that completely relaxed solo, I was nervous plenty of times, especially after my home DZ closed down, which was shortly afterwards.

My first jump at Elsinore (jump 18), I requested an instructor to be in the air with me because I was very freaked out about my abilities after having had a scare at Perris where had I migrated to after my original non-USPA DZ had closed down. The Elsinore staff understood my insecurities when I explained them, but they also told me that I didn't need to spend my money on a coached jump when I could just jump a solo. I insisted on having a coach nearby as I thought that maybe I wasn't a good enough skydiver. I told my instructor that I wanted to just fall. It was a beautiful skydive where I was able to relax enough to find my smile, again. I do not regret it at all!!! It was about 3 pm, and I did my last two "A" license jumps with a HUGE smile on my face and NICE stand-up landings.

I had my "A" license requirements finished that early evening on my 20th jump. My instructor complimented me and raised my confidence so much with his encouragement throughout the afternoon that I did four jumps that Saturday at Elsinore's Cinco de Mayo Boogie. (My first boogie at 20 jumps!) It was all downhill for my wallet from there! LOL! :P

You can ask for an instructor to play with you in the air if you want to feel a little more secure, can't you? Then, jump a solo or two right after that. ~ Or ~ what if you ask for video, just to have someone along that you trust. I read somewhere that someone did this for her first solo, so as not to feel so alone. LOL! Good idea, huh? Also, do not feel obligated to jump your own pack job on your first solo. You have plenty of jumps where you can do that. You will be just fine with however you choose to jump. It is all good. There is no failure in skydiving if you can live to jump another day.

I was scared out of my wits to. I hadn't jumped in almost a month when I got to the DZ the head instructor looked at me and said get manifested for your low one meaning hop & pop. I wasn't given time to think about it. The only thing that really bothered me on the ride to alti. was that I also was getting a spotting lesson something that really freeked me out. After I jumped out all the worry was gone just like every other jump, only I was all by my self. It's great don't worry be happy.

It probably doesn't matter, but I just realized that I unknowingly lied in my prior post. LOL! My first jump at Elsinore, that I insisted on making with a coach, was not just falling in place. I just rememeber that is what it felt like because we had so much time to spare. LOL!

As usual, I wanted to work on something new on my jump, so I did my first barrel roll and a lovely front flip, which both went by very quickly. Then, I RELAXED, looked at the beauty that is Elsinore and smiled at my instructor, who made funny faces and leg turns for me. WTH!?! What is going on with his body position? How did he turn like that? I was mesmerized a little...he was in the mantis, of course! LOL!

You are very much like me, Nightingale, always wanting to work towards a goal, right? Ask for a coached jump to learn something new that you didn't learn in your AFFs or practice something important, like tracking. Then, do a couple more solos and practice what you learned! :)

Just do it....Know that your instructors would not have passed you and cleared you for solo unless they thought you were ready. Your last couple of jumps were basically solo jumps anyway, just someone there to watch. I was very nervous about my first solo also but after I was out of the plane it was actually much more relaxed than my last 2 AFF jumps where I had to "perform" for the instructor. I have no doubt that you will be fine and everything will fall into place as soon as you are out of the door. Have fun and let us know how it went. It is actually an interesting phenomenon, as nervous as some of us have been at times to jump and as much hesitation we have had on the ground before a jump, somehow we always end up in the plane and then jump out of it....Go figure!!

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

I did my first solo out of a skyvan and I think I was fairly nervous going up to Altitude but once the door was open I was switched into jump mode and it all went fine. Before I went up my instructors told me to go for an unstable exit and fix it and fly which helped a bit for some strange reason. Good luck