mich

2 people have been arrested

ok, so... new version:
were the 2 guys working at the DZ ?

No-one knows who they are therefore it is not yet possible to answer that. I'm sure once more news breaks it will be on here.

Spanner - I think they have to have some evidence to arrest but sometimes the 'questioning' is designed to elicit more evidence in order to charge them. The CPS will not let the police charge a suspect without serious and credible likelihood of a conviction.

If anyone knows better please feel free to add/ correct.

Let's hope these are the right people but let's not be too hasty - the judicial process works in a specific way for a particular reason.

And Remy - I didn't notice you displaying your hard-on online....Wonder what Karen would say..:P

Strictly speaking the police only need "reasonable grounds for suspecting" them to be guilty of it.

It would not be the first time the police got things wrong, esp considering they are trying to delve into a world they do not understand. I want to wait to see who they have, and then wait to see what they do with them.

Nothing more than come to a conclusion for my self as to how significant this event is. They may simply release the two... although I doubt it.

There is something ominous about how they were both arrested at the same time and then taken to seperate police stations, (although that could simply be the product of the way this was reported as opposed to an exact reflection of what happened).

My thoughts are still with Stephen's family. I know that everyone here has been waiting for some positive news.

This is an appalling crime and has affected all skydivers. I'm sure that if these individuals are found to be guilty then they will be shown very little mercy in the courts.

There is something ominous about how they were both arrested at the same time and then taken to seperate police stations

Why? What if they were in entirely different locations. And, it would make sense to keep them both separate so that they cannot cook up a story between them. Finally, if one hears about the arrest of the other, he can do his best to get away.

Sounds like good, solid coordination to close the potential holes.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

ITN have added the following to the BBC article:

Iain Firkins, chairman of the British Collegiate Parachute Association, welcomed the arrests but urged caution.

He said: "It is still too early to tell how significant this development is.

"At this time, it is dangerous to speculate on the events of today, and so judgement is reserved until the police have had time to fully question those who were arrested and made a full statement to the public."

(ITN is a british news service for those overseas)

Kinda sounds like you John, Professor, Mr. Kallend.
Do you know this guy??
Seems like a very likeable British Gentleman.
Just like you!! :-)

ITN have added the following to the BBC article:

Iain Firkins, chairman of the British Collegiate Parachute Association, welcomed the arrests but urged caution.

He said: "It is still too early to tell how significant this development is.

"At this time, it is dangerous to speculate on the events of today, and so judgement is reserved until the police have had time to fully question those who were arrested and made a full statement to the public."

(ITN is a british news service for those overseas)

tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

Even as someone who knew Steve, can I ask that people don't try and guess who the people who have been arrested are. Imagine you were one of the people who were arrested but you were totally innocent, but your name got leaked out to the press. Do you think people who be too happy to be anywhere near you, let alone jump with you? Journalists DO read these forums, so any names mentioned are likely to get into the press. Of course, if you do have any real information, tell the police, not us.

A moderator has already posted elsewhere that if any names are mentioned, the relevant posts will be deleted and the poster will be banned from dropzone.com.

The names have already been published..

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1108290,00.html

Whats frightening is that the 2 names mentioned in this article are the 2 people who wrote the article in this months BPA Skydive Magazine on Stephen Hilder. Maybe they havent been arrested but are only helping the poice out.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

Maybe they havent been arrested but are only helping the poice out.

Sounds pretty specific to me.

From the article:
PALLBEARERS QUESTIONED

Two teenagers who acted as pallbearers at the funeral of skydiver Stephen Hilder are continuing to be questioned by police after being arrested on suspicion of his murder.[.....]The pair were arrested at Scunthorpe Police station yesterday and taken to separate police stations in the Humberside Force Area to be interviewed.

"the 2 names mentioned in this article are the 2 people who wrote the article in this months BPA Skydive Magazine"

According the Honcho San, they are dotcommers, so I just want to reitterate what HH said over in Incidents on this matter.......

I'd like people to refrain from making wild statements or launching personal attacks on these two individuals. Even though they have been arrested, they are entitled to due process, if it comes to that also fair trail and is innocent till proven guilty. I trust everyone will act in that manner.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"
I'd like people to refrain from making wild statements or launching personal attacks on these two individuals. Even though they have been arrested, they are entitled to due process, if it comes to that also fair trail and is innocent till proven guilty. I trust everyone will act in that manner.

I didnt name the names, only provided a link to them

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

I didnt name the names, only provided a link to them

I'd hardly worry about that, it's all over the press. It's personal attacks and judgement on here we should avoid (and I've seen no-one on here out of line on that score). The arrests might come to nothing.

But we mustnt speculate as to their guilt.

This was my point.
It looks we can all agree to let our justice system do its thing, and try and avoid any lynch mob mentality meantime.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I'd totally support this. We must remember that’s it’s innocent until proven guilty.

In the UK system it's very normal for arrests to be made without those people being found to be guilty (from what I understand it's normal that in the case of the suspicious death of a child the parents are quite often arrested), however it's very different to be charged with committing a crime (this’ll happen when it’s going to go to court).

I myself have jumped with one of these guys recently (in the last month) and there was nothing in the slightest that made me think he was involved.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!