nightjumps

90 Year Old Student

I got a call from a DZO (where I used to work). He asked me if I was available to put out a student today. I responded, "Sure."

Then he tells me, "He's ninety years old," and then he paused. As I was going through the algorithm of "what ifs" in my brain, the DZO says, "He was a wing-walker in the '30's. "Alright, lets, do it. But, if he has any difficulty in training, I'm calling it."

I introduce myself and review the waiver and in the medical statement, he's put "None." Hmmm, so I starts the probing questions, knees problems, orthopedics, any heart medicine.... nope, nope, nope. He says, "Son, all I take is vitamins." As we continue, he's jumped three or four times in the past, "Although I don't remember what years they were, do I need to know that?" No sir.

We go through training and he's smoking it. Nomenclature of the equipment, approaching the aircraft, the exit, canopy control, landing, obstacles, everything. We went over the Canopy Flight Planner and he's telling me after the first review, word for word, where he's getting out; where he's going to be at 1000", 600'. 300'.

During training he had a little bit of a problem with the "Climb all the way out and hang," so I modified his exit to a poised exit.

We go up in the plane and he's just as calm as can be. "Dillard, are you ready to skydive?" "Yup." Open the door and he covers his handles and I'm spotting. Tell him to put his feet out and stop. He does it. "Climb all the way out." He needed a litle help pulling the student rig up so I gave him a hand.

GO! He looks at the ground, literally smiles and jumps. Couple of line twists (little canted exit). He twists out of it. He's flying the canopy like a maniac. Left turns, right turns, he's really pulling those toggles down and playing.

He flares perfectly and lands. I land about 20 yards from him and holler out "You OK?!?!?" He gives me a thumbs up. It was a good day.

Here's the good part... During the training the news was out to interview him. The reporter asks him, "Why would anyone your age want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Dillard replies, "Ya know, I think folks worry too much. When you jump out of the plane the parachute is going to work or it isn't. If it doesn't, you're not going to have to worry for long and if it does; its the greatest ride of your life."

We go into the hangar and I fill out his log book and ask him to sign mine. He signs it. He takes his logbook and pats his 55 year old wife on the ass and says, "You ready to go home, baby?"

These are the type of people that definitely make the sport better. A couple of months back we had an 89 (or at least very close to that) year old woman come out to our dz and do a tandem. Everyone was extra cautious, but she was a trooper. From her reaction you'd have sworn she was a giddy teenager. When asked if she'd go again she said in a heart beat.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Everyone was extra cautious...

Brother, you have no idea.... The DZO and I personally took his rig off the student rack, double checked everything and repacked it like it was a reserve. We were hand-ironing the folds, he was double checking the line order... We spent two hours making sure we'd gone over everything with a fine tooth comb before he even showed up. I think it was more stressful on us, than him. ;)

Everyone was extra cautious...

Brother, you have no idea.... The DZO and I personally took his rig off the student rack, double checked everything and repacked it like it was a reserve. We were hand-ironing the folds, he was double checking the line order... We spent two hours making sure we'd gone over everything with a fine tooth comb before he even showed up. I think it was more stressful on us, than him. ;)

Dude, this means only one thing: You care! B|

;)

Yves.

----------------------------
We spent two hours making sure we'd gone over everything with a fine tooth comb before he even showed up
----------------------------

It's always better to be too cautious then not cautious enough.
I'm glad to hear that everything went well.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Hey, Biggie.

Thanks for sharing that. Tonight I needed to read something like that, and voila, there it is.

Well done, and congratulations. And thanks for bringing it to the boards. You made me smile...and that, my friend, was missing from my whole day.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

That was such a rewarding story to read, thanks for posting it!!!! Does he plan more jumps? You said he was a student, but will he continue or did he just want this one jump, on his own?

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Thanks for sharing that. Tonight I needed to read something like that, and voila, there it is.

Well done, and congratulations. And thanks for bringing it to the boards. You made me smile...and that, my friend, was missing from my whole day.

I got to put a 90 year old out and it made ~Michele smile. It doesn't get any better of a day than that.