Kramer

New Skydiver's Question...About Reserve Chute

I'm the OP of this thread.

1:0

Made my first jump on Saturday, and everything went A-Okay. Thanks for the massive amount of replies, you've satisfied my curiosity...but keep em comin.

Thanks.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

480's-0

~120 Jumps on PD Silhotte

(Looked once at my handles first sub term deployment [Check canopy - Bag - Nothing happening - Identify handles - Oh s*^! I going to owe beer - why am I thinking about beer I'm going to die! - check canopy - look at handle - reach for cut away - main opens- thank you])

~200 Jumps on Triathalon

(Didn't Look but thought about it [ Line Twists])

7 Jumps on 27' Papillion
Thought about it once D-Bag landed on my legs with pilot chute in burble Scary (Capwells -goto Back - pull belly wart - punch - throw - shake - cut lines - and this is really going to hurt under a 24' flat circular)

and rest on Spinetto oh I ment Stilleto
Never thought about it never had line twist not even once but several off heading openings.
Safety briefing: Dont Die!

Hey,

Approx 250:0

But I just thought I would offer my two cents worth! It seems a lot of people in this thread (mainly lower jump numbers like me) want to be in the "zero silver club" as someone put it. Well, here's a couple of things that happened to me that may persuade you to NOT think twice about pulling silver.

Sometime around jump 50: Jumping cheap nasty second hand well used gear (old 7 cell main, round reserve, $200 container) as I was poor. Shaked the crap out of the snivelling main from 2200 feet to about 1200 feet when it finally came good. (I was scared of the round reserve).

Sometime around jump 150: Jumping borrowed gear on display jump into farm I was living on. Felt opening shock around 2000 feet, looked up and then canopy is twisting up very fast (I was staying on heading), slider down close to shoulders but in twists. I remember just holding the risers watching it, thinking "it'll come good" then I looked down and saw how quickly the front gate was coming up... "oh shit" - hand on cutaway, then twists started unwinding me "f**k, will I make it?". Came out of twists facing downwind, very low, heading toward barbed wire fence. Panicked and did 180 into a perfect swoop landing (first ever attempt). VERY LUCKY TO BE ALIVE

About jump 190. Baggy Clothes jump... well, I hadnt ensured T-shirt was tucked away properly etc had I? reach for pilot chute and start dragging at clothing. Did I try twice???? NO, fumbled 3 - 4 times, started getting groundrush and went to grab handles when all of a sudden I feel activity on my back. I had actually pulled bridle out from the pilot chute, which in turn became a horshoe and cleared itself. Open below 1000 feet.

I took a good hard look at myself. I spent many hours seeking the guidance of Instructors and other jumpers that I trusted. Then I spent many more hours visualising going for my reserve (I know they work because I can pack them), and a few jumps just practicing my reserve drills.

The thing that alarms me the most is how much time is chewed up when you focus on the problem at pull time, rather than a really good solution (Reserve).

I hope my ramblings here are thought about by some of those when deciding whether to "owe beer" or chew up valuable time trying to fix a problem.

I am grateful for being alive - at the VERY LEAST my ratio should be approx 250:3

Blue skies
Corey

Another question! I'm curious. Reply again with two numbers. First number: How old you are now. Second number: How old were you when you made your first jump? Reply accordingly.

It'll be interesting to see what the average of this is.

19:19

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!