purplekittenUK

Calling UK - newbie needs help!

Hi!

Hinton is an awesome DZ, but over the winter it's probably best to go overseas. I did AFF in Empuriabrava, it was worth every penny! I think they're going to be doing courses in Morocco in January and February, just give Kevin an email or check out their site! www.freefallco.co.uk

Hope this helps :)

I'll give you my opinion FWIW.

I think the main problem would be if you only partially completed the course then turned up at a UK dz hoping to finish it off. I know people who have had problems trying to do that, some dzs can be a bit funny about it. I think they feel that you've taken business away from them by not doing AFF with them and they're not always as helpful as they should be.

But lots of people do it and there are definately plus points: better weather, faster progression, cheaper jumps. Make sure you allow enough time for some bad weather and rejumps if necessary.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

The other option is going abroad to do AFF with UK instructors... every so often dz's have a boogie abroad and I think this would be great for you. This means that if for whatever reason you don't complete you AFF abroad, you can continue it back here in the UK :)
If you're not recieving the mag yet, try www.skydivemag.com or failing that, feel free to PM me. You could also try calling up some dz's near you and just asking about the problem.. sure they'll have some good advice. Where abouts in the UK are you?

Will

From memory, I think a load of hibalstow guys are going to portugal in for New Year and it was top fun last year,

i hear the hibby boogies are amazin...

im from the uk myself, and am going to wait until next year to start my AFF at hibby..., but until then i'm working to save up some cash to pay for it!. i dont fancy doin it abroad because of the risk of finding it hard to finish the training... so i think i'm going to hope for a few weeks of good weather so i can get the course and consol jumps done. Fingers Crossed!

CrazyDave

Hi Purps,
Empuriabrava is great, as is AFF in Britain (if not in the winter - doh!) but I ended up doing AFF in Eloy, Arizona in January (of 2000). It was great fun, no weather problems at all and was consequently able to get enough jumps in over 2 weeks to be welcomed at Hinton (although I had done a few at Weston to begin with - only about 10 though). It took a bit of saving up to pack the jumps in but oh how glad I was I did - I saw the Arizonan desert from the blue yonder, drank tequila for Britain, and met some fantastic people. And it was a bargain, it was a few years ago, but it would probably still be worth looking into the prices now! Happy jumping.;) Happy drinking:D
Tilly xxx

Hello!
Glad you saw that! Only because it's so worth the trip! Was foing to go with a few instructors from Weston, but they gave up on the idea at the time and we looked up the place ( I went with a mate which was great, but it would still be a giggle and a half going on your own - you wouldn't be short of mates..). I'm pretty sure the website is www.skydiveaz.com, I sent the school an email, and that was that. Booked my flight a few months in advance and got it for about £350. The course paid for it though as did the sun, the sky, the beer...oh and they have roadrunners there and coyotes, and tumbleweed!!! They are a bit strict on underage boozing though as I found out!:P I now jump at Headcorn although I am considering going to Hinton just because its about 100 miles closer! Whatever you decide, good luck, though I never regretted any aspect of Arizona - mmm perhaps one:S. Sorry didn't mean to give you my life story - its a Saturday and I feel like I should be at the dz but I'm not hence I'm bored and just happy to be talking to a skydiver, albeit in cyber-world.
Blue skies - one day[:/]

Yeah- you're right. I did ASP - all that is different is the Acronym - Advanced Skydiving Program. Some places will be a bit miffed, some more than others. I went to Hinton and after they'd looked at my logbook they were happy. When I did it there was a programme that enabled me to do the basic 8 level course and the consoles and then 3 coach jumps on top of that. Unless the prices have since rocketed, it is probably a good idea finding out about something like that althought the coach jumps are not necessary for an A license. I have a feeling they do either no coachies or a whole load in a package now, but they might be more flexible then they seem on their website, so drop them a line. Also, in case times have changed if you do do something like that, it might be worth speaking to your home dz cci about beforehand. to make sure they'll have you back!!!
- You got me dreaming about Arizona now...

AFF is an excellent idea, I did mine through the Boogie Club out in the Czech Republic. Big DZ and cheap. Empuria is a great DZ and Kev McCarthy who runs the AFF school is superb however the winds there can be problematic and the military will now not allow AFF trips there as the landing area is quite small.

Have a look at http://www.wsskydiving.freeserve.co.uk/aboutws.htm they offer courses abroad and continuation in the UK.

What ever you do hope it goes well and see you at a DZ soon.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I live in the UK, but have never jumped here. I made my first jump in Canada last year, and then went back this summer and went through AFF and got my A license (I was going there on holiday anyway, so figured I might as well get training done because it's so much cheaper).

Hopefully I'll be able to start jumping here soon (money is a problem at the moment), I think Headcorn is my closest DZ.

Hey

I was faced with the same decision as you. In the end i went to Skydive Sebastian in Florida and did AFF. You can do everything through Mick Hall at Freefall adventures and it is all BPA certified. I had an absolutley great time there everyone was so friendly and keen to help you out. While i was out there i met a load of other people from all over the world many of whom had come on their own and we had DZ outings to the cinema and restaurants in the eve. I camped cause it is free but i think there are motels and places in the vicinity. Anyway the web is http://www.ffadventures.com/ I am sure there are other DZ's that do a similar thing but this is just my experince of sebastian. Whereever you go i am sure you will have a great time.

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

Sebastian is great, I did my AFF and 10 consolidations there. I did have some trouble returning to the UK where some DZs obviously had their heads stuck up their arses and weren't interested in letting me jump. Dave Emmerson at Hinton was cool about it though.

Definitely worth considering Empuria though, you'll get your jumps on video for free (extra at Seb) and if you don't get through it in time you can always pop back on Ryanair for about £15.

"Life is a bowl of deadly nightshade, stay way way out on the rim brother"

Hi purplekitten

I did my AFF in sebastien and so have several of my friends - they're very friendly over there and the standards were very high !!!

I would reccomend it, mick and gill are great people.

Also the flights are plentiful and reasonably cheap if you pick your time !!!

In fact we're thinking of heading back there in Feb / March :)
The other cool thing about the US is the wind tunnels - awesome way to get coaching in a controlled environment. I would reccomend getting some time in one if you can ( the cost's the only major downside).

Other good places to learn include Deland, Z-Hills, Perris Valley and Eloy PM me if you want to ask any questions.

But do allow enough time to finish your course :)
2 weeks is usually plenty - I went for a week the first time with some friends and had to go back (shame !!) for another couple of weeks after that.

Be prepared for all the bills though - because once you've got your AFF you're going to want to jump and jump and that means probably buying a rig !!! :P

I'm sure though that wherever you go you'll have a great time though !!!! :P