philh

contact lenses

I wear contacts and have had no problems in my full face factory diver or in gogles which are done up sufficiently tightly - do them up enough and then take them in an extra bit. Contacts are a lot better than glasses though as they dont steam up.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

they keep popping out in freefall, usually when I track

This is probaly due to your eyeballs popping out when you see how close you are to the ground :P

This has never happened to my girlfriend who wears contacts. She has used both the disposable and the normal hard ones. Her disposable's seemed to be larger than the standard lenses. I would have this would make them even less likely to fall out.

How often do you blink in freefall? A lot of the times when I lost a contact, it was because enough tears have welled up in my eye to wash it out when I finally blinked. This used to happen a lot when I was skiing, but keeping my eyes a bit less open and blinking a lot to keep the tears flowing out of them really helped. Also, I can usually feel when a lense is starting to float on the tears and squeezing that eye shut for a moment or two will more often than not help reseat it back.
As for goggles- make sure they're really tight and cover any holes through which wind could blow directly. But sometimes you might still have to work your eyes to keep a contact in. Sucks, but overall I think it still beats wearing glasses.

I do everything(scuba, surf, skydive....) in my contacts. But I have also learned the defensive eye position. Whenever I'm in a situation thta my contacts could come out I just keep my eyes only half open so that they cannot escape. I work on boats in Alaska for a living and have worked through several Hurricane force winds without ever loosing a contact.

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

Try the SkyEyes goggles. Ya know, the ones with the tube stow stuff?? I wear contacts, and used t have that problem until sunshine pointed those out to me, and I have never had a problem since. Get 'em, they ROCK. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I've had one pop out and stick itself to the inside of my goggle. It was also during a track. Something about the orientation of the goggle breather holes to the wind would be my guess. I tend to fly head up, but track with my face to the ground, while cocking it left and right.

I switched to some $30.00ish goggles they had in the gear store. No breather holes, just foam around the eye pieces. Quite comfy and Works fine.

My full face (Z1) works fine too, though I can feel wind in there when checking the spot at certain head angles to the wind.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I had the exact same problem. My goggles would lift in a track and a lens would pop off. I switched to a full face and havent had a problem since. I always bring a spare set of contacts to the DZ, just in case.
---------------------------------------------

Randy

I've also had one of mine fall out of my eye in a tracking dive, when I was just wearing goggles and no helmet. I've discovered since then that you either have to cinch down the goggles till they hurt, or put a helmet on... it helps keep the goggle straps down.
After I bought my Z1, I haven't had a problem since.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I've had my contacts pop out various times and stick to the insides....Keeping the goggles tight seems to work best . Also using the helmet to keep everything in place works well also. Mini flex z are what I am using now and i have had no problem so far.

--------------------------------------------------
Just remember.....if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Try the SkyEyes goggles. Ya know, the ones with the tube stow stuff?? I wear contacts, and used t have that problem until sunshine pointed those out to me, and I have never had a problem since.

Then again, I too wear SkyEyes goggles, and contacts kept popping out of my eyes. After the 3rd time I decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and I've only worn my specs after that.

Incidentally, the SkyEyes gogs are the only ones I've found that fit over my glasses. My current pair of goggles are in terrible shape, and I can't seem to find SkyEyes goggles anywhere in Australia. So, as a solution, I've made a pair of goggles myself. I'll probably be trying them out next weekend.

So, as a solution, I've made a pair of goggles myself. I'll probably be trying them out next weekend.

You can also get prescription goggles made like my husband did. the company sent him 4 different types of goggles to try on and sample (for free...non-prescription goggles). He picked the one that he liked best...and they make prescription lenses.

the ones he ended up with he seems pretty happy with...and the company will let you keep one pair of the demo's for free. (so I kept those and I jump with my contacts in)

My husband is so happy with them that I'm thinking of getting a prescription pair made...so I have one pair to wear with my contacts, and another pair that I don't need my contacts in for (because there are times when my eyes are bugging me and so I don't feel like wearing my contacts to jump but right now I have to).

sportrx.com is where he got the demo goggles from...

(although I do want to point out that after demo'ing the goggles, he actually bought his from our dropzone....it's just that sportrx has the goggles to demo and can do everything, too....)

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

I always wear lenses when jumping and have never had a problem so far.... WHen you say they pop out, is any of the relative wind being forced into the goggles? That could be enough to dislodge them.

Also (i may be wrong here) disposables have a higher water content then regular lenses so they tend to be more 'slippery' so instead of sitting over the pupil and iris they may float around on the surface of the eye and when you blink it is enough to knock it out. So you may want to try permanent lenses...dunno if it'll help though

Cheers