fudd

It's important to buckle up!

ouch..just be lucky it wasnt wrapped around anything bad!

another good reason to wear a helmet! never know when your going to leave your seatbelt on and hit the plane on the way out!

hook knifes! good for more then just cutting away canopies! now for seatbelts!

"Airborne all the way"
EL Cantador Rodriguez

What kind of seatbelts are used in that plane? I thought seatbelts are usuallly long enough for most people to put around their midsection, not hang 2' below the plane from it.;)
I bet that guy got some interesting footage on his camera as well.:D

He shouldn't have had the S/L that tight. I've seen S/L I's deploy the student's main while the student was hanging because the S/L was that tight.

He should never have opened the door with his seatbelt on.

He should have checked his main flap and riser covers.

He shouldn't have hit his reserve container on the top of the door.

The student turned on exit because their left foot was still on the wheel.

Nice job by the pilot, reducing power.

Derek

doesn't look like he hits his reserve on the door, but yeah you can see his main flap blow open in the wind and his riser covers are open.

With that much tension on the seat belt I think any hook knife would work there as long as the blade was sharp (except maybe a $2 plastic one)

how hard is it to install a step made out of something like diamond plate over the wheel to make poised exits easier?

don't people usually do hanging exits with a S/L and wait for people to have a freefall rig to introduce the poised exit?

Glad everyone on board handled it well and that no one was hurt.

What kind of seatbelts are used in that plane? I thought seatbelts are usuallly long enough for most people to put around their midsection, not hang 2' below the plane from it.;)

It's not uncommon to loop the seatbelt through a legstrap and leave it adjusted to full length. At least in the US you just have to use the seatbelt to be connected to the airframe.

If you had to jump from the plane with it still connected, it'd be best that it wasn't any shorter or you'd probably hurt yourself pretty badly.

Regardless, I'm not too sure how I'd feel if this had happened to someone who was instructing me [:/]

Just because you train and train and train and train and train a student not to put their foot on the step/wheel, doesn't mean that at exit time they will remember to.

The student's eyes/head went straight to the ground, and there was no apparent practice deployment on exit. I'd guess this was a first jump for the student, and a typical exit (long exit pause, past 90 degrees on exit, poor body position) for 1 in every 7 first s/l jumpers.

But yeah, lots went wrong. But there were fortunatly few consequences.

Dang...unbuckle....that was the word I were looking for...
This seatbelt is a 2 foot strap with a carabine in each end. They are the only kind I have seen in Norway so far.
Usually in smaller planes like C-206, the jumpmaster collects all of them and put them out of the way in the back of the plane.

An easy thing to forget, but usually you notice once you start moving around in the plane for gear checks, etc.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Going back to the importance of buckling up , imagine the forces involved with you near the pilot end of a decent sized aircraft with two lines of bodies say 5+ in front of your own and having an aborted take off or whatever with the aircraft coming to an abrupt stop for whatever reason. Then add to this the fact that there are G forces well above normal involved in the unwanted result. Lets just say that each person in front of you weighs 70 kilos and the plane was subjected to +3 G of force when brought to an abrupt stop at the end of the runway. You would not be in good shape!!!! BUCKLE UP DUDES! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Going back to the importance of buckling up , imagine the forces involved with you near the pilot end of a decent sized aircraft with two lines of bodies say 5+ in front of your own and having an aborted take off or whatever with the aircraft coming to an abrupt stop for whatever reason. Then add to this the fact that there are G forces well above normal involved in the unwanted result. Lets just say that each person in front of you weighs 70 kilos and the plane was subjected to +3 G of force when brought to an abrupt stop at the end of the runway. You would not be in good shape!!!! BUCKLE UP DUDES! -Mark.

And let's just say that each of those persons close behind you (the ones who'll come crashing into you when the plane suddenly decelerates) can travel 2' before the seatbelt stops them. That would not yield good results for your body as well...
If you do (and you should), buckle up tight!