dustin19d

Mailing a rig

Insurance.

Note that the insurance offered by the Post Office sucks, especially when you're sending stuff outside the US (this may be different to a military -APO/FPO - address though; might want to check into that).

Even for packages mailed inside the US the insurance offered by USPS sucks. I've seen it take up to a year to get paid on a claim (also seen claims never paid).

If possible I always recommend shipping overseas by FedEx - FedEx has the best online tracking and pays insurance claims very fast, but it can be rather pricey.

Insurance and more insurance.

Get one of of those nice plastic totes from rubber maid "action packer" is the kind that I have.
I ship in that if I am going over seas with my rig.

In the states I use double layered cardboard box, and no matter what place your rig in a plastic bag to protect from possible water.

Sharp things int he shipping process and water are bigger concerns to me then theft.

good luck and what the price tag go up on shipping.
www.greenboxphotography.com

If you are selling your rig to an Australian, make sure you have money in hand before mailing the rig.
Also plaster large, ugly labels on the outside of the package saying "life-saving equipment, use no knives, etc."

Yeah us Ozzies are a bunch of thieving pricks, cant trust any of us. :P

If you are selling your rig to an Australian, make sure you have money in hand before mailing the rig.
Also plaster large, ugly labels on the outside of the package saying "life-saving equipment, use no knives, etc."

Yeah us Ozzies are a bunch of thieving pricks, cant trust any of us. :P

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My apologies.
I have nothing against Australians.
This is just a standard precaution when selling equipment - by mail - to anyone, anywhere.

I'm looking for the same information. I will be mailing a rig to Australia from the US. I heard that I need to fill out the Customs forms a certain way, or there can be problems. Anyone have any experience with this?

The online customs forms can be really difficult to figure out. If you go to a shipping depot (fedex just merged with Kinko's, right? So you probably vould do it there), where an actual human being helps you with the forms, it's MUCH easier to deal with.

That's one thing I LIKE about international shipping via the USPS, versus UPS or FedEx.

not to jump on the bandwagon but I cannot stress enough to stay away from the U.S. post office.
I could give you a list of horror stories as long as my arm. Fed Ex or UPS with the appropriate amount of insurance..
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I ordered a video from Australia that shipped four weeks ago via USPS. I have not received it yet and unfortunately there aren't tracking numbers to track the progress. Something tells me I may never see that copy.
I have to agree with everybody about sticking with UPS or FedEx. I'd also throw DHL International into the mix as another reliable parcel service especially for international shipping. I've found they have better rates, and offer insurance, provide you with a tracking number, and transit time often times is better than UPS or FedEx.