Nightingale

How necessary are booties?

I voted that you must have. There are times when you may not need to wear them but they are good to have. They can slow your fall rate a bit but they also help give so much more control and really help tracking as well. IF you want to do more then just zoo 4 way loads you should get them.
Dom

Get the suit with booties now. Why not learn how to fly with them? Also, a jumpsuit will last awhile, then you'll want the booties, and you'll have to get another suit. Think of the money spent.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Are they good for someone's FIRST rw suit? or should I get more experience, and then get a suit with booties?

I was originally told to learn to fly without them. I did, but I don't preach it.

You need your own jumpsuit. You can order without booties and have them put on later or buy a whole new suit with booties later. Now, if you are going to get one without and add later, you will be without your jumpsuit for a while. Just something to think about.

I have become a bit bootie dependent.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

If you need them, you can't fly.

True, however its like doing acro in a Cessna Aerobat or a Pitts special.

I would rather have them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If you need them, you can't fly.

Winsor --

I don't think it's a matter of need, but rather what is the most efficient.

I mean, Airspeed doesn't need to use jumpsuits at all. If they wanted to wanted to jump in t-shirts and jeans they'd still probably smoke 95% of anyone they competed against.

However, it's more efficient if they use equipment that has evolved over the years and has been proven to work.

Nightingale -- get the booties.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Are they good for someone's FIRST rw suit? or should I get more experience, and then get a suit with booties?

Good question...

Short answer. Get them

Long answer. Get them now.;)

Longer answer...

I gave a friend of mine an old Jump Suit of mine. She was hot, and it never looked that good on me.

We had another friend that told her not to wear it since it had booties and she should learn to fly her body first. (A valid point).

I asked her if she planned on getting booties at some time. She said yes...I told her to wear them now. She asked about learning to fly her body...I asked her if she was going to learn to jump nakid before she started wearing a JS? (I would have jumped with her on every jump if she did)

Then after say 20 nakid jumps she could wear socks...Then maybe panties and a sexy little bra.

A little much huh? Well Booties are there to help you...Just like a JS is.

My point is if you plan on doing RW, and plan on using booties...Get them now.

Want to learn to fly your body? Jump nakid...And call me first.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Windsor, you know I love you and respect you, but come on now. It's like someone else said

It's like having power steering.

I can drive my van just fine, but the power steering makes it easier. So why not make skydiving easier? Let's not make the newbies have to suffer like we did learning ;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have been advised by several of my AFF instructors that I should get some solid RW skills down first, and then look to freeflying later on.

Great advise. I wish there were more freefliers that thought that way.

An example would be a friend of mine that got off student status and went into freeflying without a good solid base of RW skills. About a year later, he wanted to start working on his coach rating, and had to really work to get the RW skills back up to speed. Now he's doing well, and even thinking about getting his AFF rating down the road.

Cross training is good, look how well Brian Germain can do belly flying, freeflying, AFF JM, and swoop a tiny canopy.

My experience is that booties rock-- love the powersteering analogy. I got them on my first jumpsuit (at about 70 jumps), and have them on my camera suit now. If someone has money to burn, they could get a suit without and then fix it later, but I think it's cheaper to just do it all at once, and learn to fly 'em. The bottom line, though, is that you still need to be able to fly your body, not a suit.

It amuses me (as an old fart) that some people seem to think that you can't learn or do RW without booties. Nonsense. Sure they give a handling advantage, mostly if you are doing a lot of moves (i.e. 4-way), and sure they help a bit if you are going low, but for the majority of jumpers, casual, and novice, and experienced, they just aren't a big deal. Certainly not necessary

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

It amuses me (as an old fart) that some people seem to think that you can't learn or do RW without booties

I completely agree. I also like the power steering analogy. They make some things easier for a lot of people, and are useful.

i used to do sequential (although nowhere near as well as you did) with a Silly Suit. No booties, and all the fabric you can cram into a jumpsuit. My next RW suit looked a whole lot like the freeflying suits today, but it had swoop cords.

I like my booties.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)