genoyamamoto

Suggestion to AFF instructors

Hi,
I thought back to my very recent AFF experience and wanted to make a suggestion to all of you AFF instructors out there. It's just a small thing but something that I really appreciated from the two instructors that did this. What they did was wait for me in the landing area and walk with me to the hangar. I know it sounds silly but I really appreciated the two guys that did this during my AFF progression because it does get lonely having to walk alone into the busy hangar, especially as a n00b. It also gave me a chance to share the thrill and accomplishment of the jump before entering into the busy packing area. I know a lot of times you guys have to pack so you can go onto another student but if you have a few minutes to spare to wait for a lonely student to land, pick up their gear and walk in, i'm sure they would appreciate it.
-G

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

If your only experience was that of your AFFI's coming back to the hangar with you, why would you think it different elsewhere? That is SOP at most dropzones.

Because only two of the five instructors I had walked back to the hangar with me. The other three bailed as soon as they landed. Well it's nice to hear it's SOP at most places.

Feel the hate...
Photos here

As SkymonkeyOne said.
This is, or should be whats done by ALL Insructors when they have a student, and it's something I always do regardless of how busy I am.
Though I have seen reserve side instructors scram to pack after they have talked to the mainside Instructor when doing a 2 JM jump.
Where did you hear that they did any different?
BAS has good Instructors. I know a few of them.
Glad to hear you had a great jump though!

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

If your only experience was that of your AFFI's coming back to the hangar with you, why would you think it different elsewhere? That is SOP at most dropzones.

'Zactly. Even as an IAD instructor, I still land out in the student field and walk back in with my students.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Yeah I like all of the instructors I had and appreciate how they kept me safe and answered all the questions I had. I just like some of them more than others because they walked back to the hangar with me (i.e. their beer preference takes precedence). B|

Feel the hate...
Photos here

I agree it should be the case, but some instructors don't bother.

On one of my AFF jumps I spent ages trying to find my instructor to get a debrief off him, turns out he had jumped in the car and gone home as soon as he had landed.

As a student you place a LOT of trust in your instructors, Having them make a bit more effort to help you relax into the DZ scene can help a lot.

yeah, along with making students feel a bit better there are other reasons why landing near your students is a good idea...Its a lot easier to help them out with the gear so the toggles are on properly and nothing is dragging, etc. and it can also be a safety issue crossing runways, etc. But the main reason that I enjoy helping out a student after they land is to get their reaction to the jump. Nothing beats the big grin after a jump from a student.

Oh yeah that reminds me I was told to put the toggles on by the instructor that waited. He said that the "packers will like you". The packer's view on this was "stow your toggles or we'll f**king hate you!" I'm sure glad he told me to place the toggles early on.
Anyway, it's nice to hear that you guys enjoy the big grins on our faces. I won't feel as bad now whenever I catch myself smiling :$.

Feel the hate...
Photos here

The packer's view on this was "stow your toggles or we'll f**king hate you!"

Yah, go figure? :S
These are usually the people that "chose" to make money packing and be able to have a job on the DZ, yet at times all they do is complain?
Not a great feeling for a new student to have to go through, but it's something you should get in the habit of anyway. You'll find out what I mean when you have one of your steering lines "pigtail" and possibly have to chop it from the spin you'll be in?:S
Try to keep your parachute in neat order after you land, it will be easier to pack for your next jump.
And dont take it as they will hate you forever!
It will only be for just as long as they have to pack for you.:ph34r:

Be safe.
Ed

I thought the AFF Instructors were suppose to collect your chute , stow your toggles and carry you back to the hanger on their shoulders :ph34r:

I may have been wrong tho .....

lol! If I could I would have carried them on my shoulders and packed for them, if I knew that my pack job wouldn't blow up on them! The AFF instructors were some of the best teachers i've ever had, besides perhaps my high school physics instructor so I want them to live and teach me more.;)

Feel the hate...
Photos here

yes fortunately by the time the packer mentioned how much they liked people who didn't stow their toggles I was in the habit of doing it so they don't hate me too much.

Could you describe what a "pigtail" is? Do you have any pictures of a pigtail? Sounds scary-cute.
Thanks!

Feel the hate...
Photos here

Since your probably not able to get a steering line to do this. Take your shoe lace and twist it in your fingers holding it out straight. After you have twisted it quit a few times, without letting it untwist, bring your fingers together and you'll see the lace twist into a ball that looks similar to a pigs tail. This will shorten your steering line causing your canopy to turn.
Ask someone at BAS to show you on a rig sometime.
Hope this helps.

Ed

I totally agree with you that some of the little thoughtfull things that some instructors do make the whole experience of learning to skydive so much more enjoyable! For me, skydiving is more than just jumping out of a plane without killing myself. Skydiving is about having fun, meeting incredible people, having a bonding experience with amazing individuals and making new friends.
To me AFF instructors, and tandem instructors as well, are the embassador of this sport since they are the first one in contact with new jumpers...
So when an AFF instructor take those little extra steps like waiting for you on the landing area, giving a high five, and looks like he also enjoyed jumping with you, the whole experience is so much more fullfilling...
I say this because I wish that's how it would have been when I learned. Unfortunately, I can not even remember the name of my instructor... goes to tell you how much interaction I had with the guy, and I felt like I was dropped like cargo every time! Sure I learnt how to skydive, but the experience could have been so much more pleasant had the instuctor seen me has a little more than just another student that had to be taken up and jumped really quick.
Eventually I would like to get my AFF rating to be able to change this and show students the skydiving LOVE. I want to be able to introduce people into this sport the right way!!!

"We see the world just the way we are...

lol! If I could I would have carried them on my shoulders and packed for them,

I will remember this B|

Ok just let me write up a waiver in case I trip and drop you and also if your canopy disintegrates above your head.:o
I gave tallguy a lift last week so it shouldn't be too hard to carry you on level ground. I can't promise anything if(or when) we walk through the pond tho...

Feel the hate...
Photos here

lol! If I could I would have carried them on my shoulders and packed for them,

I will remember this B|

Ok just let me write up a waiver in case I trip and drop you and also if your canopy disintegrates above your head.:o
I gave tallguy a lift last week so it shouldn't be too hard to carry you on level ground. I can't promise anything if(or when) we walk through the pond tho...

Hey did Jett see you carrying Tall Guy? Is that why she is so confused by you? Every time she sees you, she says, "But mamma, that's not Tall Guy???" She can't belive that we have two pretty tall guys now.

Now I want to know what packer treated you like that! Unless it was Joel, cause he, well, well he, he just doesn't count because everyone knows he is obnoxious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

When I did my first AFP jump, I landed, looked around and didn't see anyone. I did feel abandoned, then started to collect my parachute and walk back in. Then my instructor came riding out in a truck to pick me up. I really appreciated that, especially because of the 90 degree temp. Same thing happened on each AFP jump after that...

Oh yeah they watched every single landing! In fact they still watch my landings and have given me a few pointers, for example there were about 5 landings (post AFF) that I had to run off and a instructor that watched me land them came up to me and pointed out that I wasn't completing my flare. Man did things improve then. They also pointed out once that my turn to final looked pretty low (300ft) and that I did basically a 180 (short crosswind). It feels really nice knowing that people are watching over me and others and puts me at ease knowing they aren't afraid to point out the things that I need to work on.

I was just whining because it would have been cool if I could have landed near them and do my happy dance. It's lonely dancing all by myself.

Feel the hate...
Photos here