tailander

Indiana Skydiving Academy Fire

On January 31st, 2004 there was a fire at the Indiana Skydiving Academy Storage Facility. All student rigs were lost (altimeters, helmets, radios, coveralls, etc). All Tandem rigs were lost. Some personal gear not owned by the DropZone and Instructors personal gear were also lost.

The Facility and Contents are a total loss.

They are in need of student rigs (with main, reserve, rig & student cypress) before the start of the jump season. They also need helmets and other gear. If you have prices or other information that can help them out, please call directly at (574) 522 4501, or (574) 268 7464.

Or email them at: [email protected].

Indiana Skydiving Academy is scheduled to resume normal jump operations April 2004. Also, monetary donation to help the DropZone get back on its feet would be greatly appreciated..

If you would like to help them out in any other way, please call or email..

Thanks

OMG!!!

That is terrible. We are still reeling from the fire we had in Elsinore a few weeks ago.

The fund-raiser this weekend was awesome! The skydiving community has really gathered behind us.

edit: I just browsed the website and discovered this is the reborn Skydive Goshen! I don't think we can di much, but Paula, Bo and Ward are definitely good people! I am hoping you guys had better insurance than we had in Elsinore! Lew and I tried to call, but got an answering machine... will try again tomorrow.

Deepest Symathies,
Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

It's a great little DZ in Goshen, IN. I've never had a chance to get to the DZ but I have made plenty of jumps with the locals when they have visited Skydive Chicago over the years - the group of them are always a class act and it is always great to see them visiting.

This is terrible news

Our Dropzone just started in business 2 years ago. We are just now getting organized and off the GROUND so to speak!! Fortunately, because of the weather, we have some time to recover.. I understand what your saying about Elsinore.. Let's hope this is the last FIRE!!

that's just awful. knowing what we are all going through trying to replace gear and recover financially... I'm so sorry to hear this!

...same questions everyone has asked us...
Do you know the cause of the fire?
What's the insurance situation?
How many instructors lost gear?

I wish there was something I could do to help. Unfortunately Cajones and I will not be able to recover financially from our loss anytime in the foreseeable future.

I hope you have good insurance and can get the kind of support we have received in Elsinore. This community rocks!

Sending you best wishes, sorry it's not cash!

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Oh God! That's my Dropzone...

edit: Steve, was the fire in the hanger? Or do they move all of the equiptment to a storage facility in Goshen? Basically, was the fire on the actual DZ itself? When did this happen? Is Ward still up there? I know Paula and Bo are.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

From what I was told - it was a heated storage unit where they kept all their gear. The two lab puppies were also lost in the fire. The only thing that survived were two canopies that were out for reline.

The two lab puppies were also lost in the fire.

[:/] Poor fellas.

At least the dropzone itself is okay. That's a lot of $$$ in equiptment lost though...

Someone let me know if they need help up there, I'd drive up there without hesitation if they have a use for me.

The rig I used on my first jump no longer exists...I just realized that. Kinda sad...

-Kramer

okay. i have several used protec helmets that skyventure had offered to give to elsinore. since elsinore is good on helmets, i have them in my trunk looking for a home.

i will be emailing your dzo to let them know i will send them to your dz. i'm guessing this will replenish what you had. i'm sure that skyventure will be equally as pleased to see them go to use at your dz.

i'm terribly sorry about the loss of the dz and the doggies. :( i'm glad no one was hurt.

arlo

]Skydive San Diego almost burned down
Elsinore lost it's student trailer
Now this!

3 Fires! Any Idea how the fire started

I'm not a fireperson but since this is the wintertime, These two fires could be related to lack of maintenance/problems with the heating systems. Either gas or electric.

Since we're still in the heating season, a checkup of the heating system now and on a annual basis couldn't hurt along with a talk with the DZ insurance company to insure that all the gear stored on the property is adequately insured.

Just my opinion with the value of 20/20 hindsight.

:(

Well, that just sucks. Bo and Paula are the coolest and nicest dropzone owners ever. They're always feeding/sheltering lost skydivers such as myself. They're so generous that they even rented a tent at the WFFC so that their newbie skydivers had a little place of their own to go to.

This is just awful. Two of the most generous people I've ever met in the sport....ugh....

Steve, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

This just sucks. :(
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Wow. Totally unbelievable and tragic.....You know, this is one of at least five "storage unit" fires I have heard about this season. Most "stuff ease" units I know of are bonded and insured, so hopefully this will work out for you guys. I hope you had a current inventory of the contents.

Best wishes,

Chuck Blue

Hi everyone. Bo and Paula here. ("The DZO's that don't own a rig")

We've never quite realized how great of friends that skydivers could be. After the fire, the only thing that we could think of was that we had to sell the plane and start reimbursing those that had left their gear with us.

All of our skydiving friends started coming over, calling, e-mailing, offering us their own gear, and everything else imaginable. They started making plans to try to help us. We then started getting calls and e-mails from others that we'd never met. It's incredible.

Let me backup and tell our story. We can't store any of our gear and equipment in our hanger over the winter because the melting snow floods the place. We had a building behind our house that served as our rigging loft and place for our skydiving friends to get together. Our daughter's new puppies also had an indoor home there. On the night of the fire it was 10 below zero and the puppies were inside.
There was also a bedroom there where our daughter had been sleeping out with the puppies almost every weekend. We cannot be thankful enough that this was one of the few weekend nights that she hadn't been there.

At about 1:00am, Bo woke to find firetrucks in our driveway, and the building fully engulfed in flames.

Nothing was salvagable. We have a small operation, but we lost everything. Our tandem rigs, student gear, personal gear, and everything else that goes with a dz, except for the plane, two mains out for re-lines and a box of pull-up cords.

The fire investigators were out the next day. It was clearly an accident, but because it was burned so badly, it was very hard to tell exactly what started it.

On the insurance issue...none of our skydiving equipment was insured. The few tools and household good that were out there will be covered under our homeowner's policy, as will the building, but business equipment must be covered under a separate policy, and I have yet to find any insurance company willing to write coverage for a skydiving business.

So, we're basically starting from scratch (worse than scratch, actually, because of all the costs this has caused.)

We dearly love this sport, and the outpouring of encouragement from our jumpers who want to keep jumping at Goshen has been so amazing that we're
going to do whatever is necessary to see that things continue. It's hard, since we've invested everything possible in the business over the last couple years to build it.

Thank you to everone who so generously has offered help. What a great community we have.

Bo and Paula Coody
Indiana Skydiving Academy
Goshen, Indiana

You guys are incredibly nice and positive people. Everything is going to be just fine, just watch. I can't wait to get up there and jump this spring. I've got about 2 seconds of freefall at Goshen...time for more! :D Keep us updated, alright?

-Kramer

Hi Valerie,

Long time no see!! Bad weather makes for Bad Skydiving!! Soon the weather will break and we will jump again!!!!!!!!!!

We have a meeting scheduled for Saturday the 21st of February at 1pm.. You are welcome to attend,, and who knows maybe the weather will break!! The meeting will be at the Goshen Terminal building.. Everyone is invited to attend.. We are going to see what all is needed to get the DZ operating and formulate a plan..

If your in this area, look us up.. It's always good to see friendly faces,, skydivers!!

Come on up and make some jumps with us.. We look forward to seeing you again. We appreciate the offer for help and right now there is so much to do, we're just trying to figure out where to get started.. Will keep you posted.
Should have a better idea after the 21st.. If your looking for something to do on the 21st, your welcome to join us at the meeting. Goshen Terminal Building at 1pm.

That is so awesome that people that have never jumped at our dz would even think of that. I feel a little funny about actually taking a monetary donation, but I would humbly accept any donations of "stuff" that might not be needed anymore.

We will always remember and be thankful to the terrific skydiving family that is helping us get back in the air. And, once we're back there, come visit and jumps are on us.

Blue Skies!

Paula

Indiana Skydiving Academy, LLC
963 Ridgeview Drive, Suite B
Goshen, Indiana 46526

Paula, please take the money and don't feel guilty one bit. You're not asking, we're offering. ;)

People give because they WANT to help. You won't be able to get everything you need replaced donated, you'll have to pay for some stuff at least. There are so many jumpers here that don't have extra gear or jumpsuits or helmets or altimeters, but do have some cash lying around, maybe the cost of a jump ticket or a cup of coffee or whatnot. Every little bit helps, and even if your insurance covers some of it, you'll still have a deductible to pay.

I'm sure you know a lot of us consider the skydiving community as an extended family, and family helps each other out. We want to make sure our skyfriends who jump over there will be up in the air when winter's over. Nuff said.

now go set up a paypal account so I can go donate!
;)

Actually you and Bo were my first instructors back in the summer of 2000 when Charlie was running the DZ. And the both of you really made me fall in love with the sport.

I asked about money donations because a lot of jumpers don't have extra gear laying around and would find it easiest to donate a few jump tickets worth to the cause. Plus, money means you get the gear you need directly. Nobody knows what your DZ needs to get going more than you guys do.

But you might also want to post a page on your website or something listing the gear you need to get back up and running.