Tinkerbelle

would you Sue the canopy manufacturer

Considering how many people have neck injuries from hard openings, as a follow up to the question about sueing DZs, what about sueing canpoy manufacturers for selling you inherently harmful equiptment that could lead to a life time of medical bills that could ruin you and your family financially, not to mention destroy your life, your happiness, and your future skydiving which would be intact if you had just selected a different canopy to begin with?

Tink, maybe if you edited out the name of the canopy you're talking about, people might be willing to answer the poll more forthrightly, without feeling like they are taking sides in an issue which may or may not be real....

I think it would be nice of you to do that, don't you?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Good edit, Tink. Thanks!

As for "who" it was, yes, you're prolly right. But why not let the folks answer without saying "who"....

Anyway, you learned how to edit...and that's a great skill to have here. LOL!;)

ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I didn't see this post before you edited out the name of the canopy but save to say I probably wouldn't be flying that canopy in the first place. Most of the hard openers are known. Yet peopes still insist on flying them and dealing with the 1/100jump hard opener that they get or whatever the number, and calling it a great canopy. I think that is a choice that THEY make not the canopy manufacturer.

Besides I don't think that there is any guarantees from the canopy manufacturers that there products won't open hard, I know about a warning that says it could result in injury or cause death.

So no I don't believe that I would sue..

Besides I live in Canada.. we hardly sue for anything up here ;)

edit: cause I can't spell lol
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

infury or cause death.

Sorry, I don't generally reply with stupid comments like this (mine, not yours) but I thought that your typo, "Infury" was pretty funny and strangely appropriate!

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

Every canopy has hard opening from time to time.

I do not keep up with the ones that supposedly open harder.

There are several different methods to packing which can slow an opening. Not only that there are things that can be done to the slider to slow the opening.

I would not sue a manufacturer for a hard opening. That would be ignorance on the purchasers part. Talk to your rigger and ask how to slow the opening. I know several different methods but I am not an actual rigger and will not put any suggestions since I do not have the rating.

On the otherhand. If a manufacturer knowingly put an unsafe canopy on the market that fell apart or used substandard material then that is different.

Should we sue the manufacturer for malfuntions? I mean I jump an eliptical and there are times when it just twists up. The price of jumping a small eliptical.
:S

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

No I wouldn't sue.

And I am currently dealing with neck problems. I'm sure a good lawyer "could" pursue a claim that my neck problems were caused by a hard opening I had.

Funnily enough, the hard opening I'm talking about was on a canopy known for opening soft.

This one's a lot easier than the DZ question. Not a chance in hell. You bought the canopy.. You had a chance to inspect it. You packed it. You jumped it. All are choices you made, and as fas as I'm concerned, all mean it's not the manufacturer's fault if you get a spanker.

ps - I'm sure you were talking about Sabers, but I know someone who jumped a saber for hundreds of jumps and says he never once had a "hard openning." I also know people who jump Spectres and have sat out the rest of the day after they got smacked.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Don't hard openings tend to come from poor fall rate control during pulltime, or poor body position, or not quartering the slider properly, or poor packing? Does the design of the canopy have as much to do with hard opening as just plain ole jumper/packer error? I know that the canopies are different in many ways but the basics of the design are the same right? I guess I am just trying to figure out what parts of the design would cause hard openings.

No way. In any case there is the WARNING on th ecanopy, and you have to choose your canopy taking into account all parameters.
Moreover, if you want to sue anybody, just start playing chess instead of skydiving. Andsue the manufacturer of the chessboard if you can't win and you get depressed :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What the hell is wrong with you??? Your in this sport
for a long time (according to your profile). Did you post this just to rattle a cage??? Did you forget the
ORANGE tag (as posted from a prior voicer) before
engaging in this sport?? If I am going to get like you
after years of skydiving I should give it up now.

I think I will sue Mother Nature for making the ground TOO hard!!!!***Don't pet the swetty things

Not to worry, I waved my sterilization wand over it!
I would lick my cat's butt! I am just afraid of people germs especially viruses that stay with you forever! Also, if I like the person I don't care- it's just the thought of having something that previously infected someone else you don't even know growing inside me- makes me feel invaded- like a terrorist attack :S

By now I know how to pack my sabre so it is the finest of al canopies I have tried, but the bad stuff happened long ago, over a decade ago in my 20s when I didn't think anything of hard openings, it wasn't such a big deal back then since the sabre was the first ZP. Of course the one opening that broke the camel's back was packed by an unknown packer since the only other packer I trust was busy.
I too have had spankers on the Specres I tried, they sniveled for 1000 feet then opened briskly, that sucked! I like vengences and stilettos, but they don't open as straight on as my sabre.