im in the UK - what do i need to have to jump in the US?

i take it nothing - other than the usual i mean - i.e. repack papers, logbook, BPA membership etc etc.

Do i have to join USPA? If so, can i just do that at the DZ? I'll only be there a week would like to be prepared now so i don't have any surprises.

Cheers!

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

If its a USPA DZ you'll have to have at least temp USPA membership, (I'd buy full membership cos its not a lot more and you get the subscription to parachutist).

Check on the two recent reserve seal and reserve repack threads. The technically correct rules re your reserve are a lot more strict than what we find is usually required by the DZ.

Whilst usually all they ask is for it to be in the 120 day repack cycle, just be aware that they are not in the wrong if they require more than just that. I think (read worried) that perhaps this year DZ's might be a little more aware of the true rules re visiting jumpers because of the recent changes to the FAA.

I've come to the conclusion that what you'll be asked to do depends more on what the DZ "thinks" the rules are than what the rules actually say.

Stricktly speaking though, if either your reserve or container is TSO'ed then you have to abide by ALL the US repack rules. If neither are then its whatever goes for your home system.

Depends where you're going. Most dropzones in Florida will not ask you to buy a USPA membership. Many of them are actually BPA affiliated.
As well, many DZs in Florida will value the 180day cycle as long as it was packed in England.
If you have to buy a USPA membership, no biggie, a temp is really cheap and last 15days.
Have fun... If you post exactly where you're going, someone from that DZ or those DZs can probably help you out.
cheers

Strictly speaking though, if either your reserve or container is TSO'd then you have to abide by ALL the US repack rules.

That is incorrect. If both container and reserve are certificated by the FAA, the FAAs rules apply. If either one is non-certificated and owned and jumped by a non-resident, then the rules of the owner's country apply. BTW The FAAs rules not only mean 120 days, it also explicitly means an FAA licensed rigger and FAA seal.
Are people sure foreign visitors have to join USPA to jump there. I thought that was a short lived rule that was rescinded shortly after implementation.

I think your best answer would be to ask the DZ(s) where you're going what their interpretation of the rules is.
Because even if you're right and they're wrong, they're the ones with the airplane.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Depends where you're going. Most dropzones in Florida will not ask you to buy a USPA membership. Many of them are actually BPA affiliated.

But bear in mind that the BPA 3rd party insurance doesn't cover North America. So if you (or your cut-away main or freebag) land on someone's car you will be liable.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe