Scottyb

How many?

I was sitting in the hanger at the dz the other day while the tandem instructors were filling out the first time jumpers certificates and explaining what was need to continue the progression working to an A license. It got me wondering if there was any numbers of how many first time tandem jumpers continue on for their license. I know I was hooked on my first jump. Just something I thought would be interesting to know.

Scottyb

I was told that tandems count. nobody said anything about a limit, and I couldn't find it in the SIM.

thing is, if all you do is tandems, there's no way you can do anything on the A card except get 25 skydives. (I think... maybe there's one or two others, but not much)

oh!

My instructor at perris told me that about 10 out of every thousand tandems go to AFF 1. (1/100).

About fifty percent of those (5/10) drop out after AFF 1, so now we're left with 5/1000

About fifty percent drop out after AFF 2. Now we're left with 2.5

About 1/4 drop out after AFF 3. That leaves us with approximately 1.8.

After AFF 4, he told me most finish AFF.

So, we have about 18 out of every 10,000 tandems finishing AFF, or around 1 in every 500.

I think my math is right. I don't know if his numbers are, as they were based on personal observation rather than actual statistics, I think.

Interesting question - I've heard myself a lot of low conversion rates being quoted I suppose it just goes to show how many people are excited enough by the thought to try it, but lack the commitment to follow through.. [:/]

I'd actually be more interested to know what proportion of skydivers never did a tandem (except of course as the TM!) Y'know, the "I really want to do it" mentality, or maybe just prefer to be in control. ;)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

A lot of things can make tandems/new students stop skydiving, the cost, the people, the effort.

And, believe it or not, some people just don't enjoy it that much.

I've also not done a tandem, I went directly through the student progression to get my license.

I took my first tandem on July 5, 2003. I decided right then and there to continue on with the program.

I posed this same question to my DZM and he told me that the figures are less than 5% of tandem and AFF1 students will continue on to get their A license.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I'd actually be more interested to know what proportion of skydivers never did a tandem (except of course as the TM!) Y'know, the "I really want to do it" mentality, or maybe just prefer to be in control. ;)

Thats me! I was offered a $40 tandem, but was so determined to save the money for AFF that I didnt take it. I just knew that I would love it!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

First time I jumped...I had no desire to skydive. I did it because I'm competative, and if my sister could do it then there was no way *I* could chicken out!! :)

Then I did it. And loved it.

So I scheduled a 2nd tandem with a friend...we went, and I did my 2nd and 3rd tandem same day.

And that was it...I scheduled ASP and paid for the entire thing at once, and went through the course..and haven't looked back since. B|

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

I did a tandem with a friend sorta of as a graduation gift to myself. We got a big discount at the college and a group of 40 or so went. The dropzone actually flew down to a private airstrip near us as the dropzone was 2 1/2 hours away. The day we went to do them it got really windy that afternoon so a few of us couldn't get up. They told us to come back the next day at sunrise before they left and they would take us. Did my first tandem at 6 in the morning. Loved it so much I did my second right after. Even though it took me a year to save money I finally went back and went through AFF. But that's still the earliest I've ever jumped by a few hours!

Never did a tandem. Way too pricey!! ;)

Did a static line years ago for a laugh, then forgot about it for a while until I saw an AFF course advertised. Paid the lot up front and after that there was no way I wasnt going to complete it!! Money is a great motivator...:S of course I loved it too...:PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

well, My first jump was a tandem.....never thought of skydiving in my life until I started dating a skydiver....I never went out to the dz with him....one day i looked at the sky and thought.....I GOTTA TRY!
I went tandem cuz I wanted to go to the top and did not know if I would enjoy skydiving.....I did 3 tandems with the plan of going straight into AFF....but static line was more cost effective so that is how I initially learned...........the first time I left the plane with my own parachute was the best feeling in my life.........then I moved to florida and continued aff.............wow.....I just realized that with 18 jumps and still 2 jumps to finish my progression I have done tandem.....static-line.....IAF.....AFF....and jumped out of 3 differant kinds of airplanes..........damn I love this sport!

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

i work in the office @ our DZ, and the common stats i've always heard
(which i believe from sitting in the office for so long):

Tandems don't have a high retention rate because in 1 jump you've got the entire package -- the canopy control, the minute or so of freefall, with minimal training time.

AFF actually has the highest retention rate. While more expensive, you receive that 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 direct attention & go through valuable training.

don't know much about S/L?! i know its cheapest!!!!

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

I'd guess less than 0.1% of first-time tandems go on to be licensed skydivers. This is based upon observing places where they routinely turn out thousands of tandems but have someone make it past student status only once in a while.

In addition, a pretty significant percentage of A license holders never get the 200 jumps that used to be required for the D license, and now rate a C IIRC.

If you want to do it, there's generally no major impediment. Most people, however, change their minds.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I'd guess less than 0.1% of first-time tandems go on to be licensed skydivers. This is based upon observing places where they routinely turn out thousands of tandems but have someone make it past student status only once in a while.

In order to have accurate stats we'd need info like on college athletes, like 6 year graduation rates. I didn't come back till 6 years after my tandem but I'm close enough that I can smell the A-license now.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

If you want to do it, there's generally no major impediment. Most people, however, change their minds.

That'd make for an interesting poll... "why'd you quit?" except that I'd imagine that most people who quit wouldn't be on dz.com to vote.. :S

Thanks for everyones input. What a great thread I wish more people would enjoy skydiving as much as we do but that would make it more crowded at the dz and I like the turn around time we have on our planes. It's always nice to meet a new person who has been bitten by the bug.

Scottyb