Jethers203

Carrying Rig on Commercial Flights

I haven't flown with my rig in quite a while and I was wondering what new problems I could expect. I read all the stuff at USPA's website, but I wanted to get some input from people with recent experience.

Are gear bags a must? Other then if TSA has to go through the reserve and I need to put it into a gear bag, do I really need one. I was going to keep the bag in my car just in case I need it. The thing is just too damn big.

All info would be helpful.

Clint D-24352

PS: I know not to carry the hook knife with the rig.

I haven't had problems in the 4-6 times I have carried a rig over the last year or so. I carry it in a gearbag, with the hookknife, and just the rig, no dytters, helmets, etc. It is cypres equipped.
I haven't had more than questions.
I always carry on my skydiving rig, but I did go to MX in Jan, and checked my BASE rig in a suitcase. They identified it, and opened the suitcase infront of me, and took it out of the stash bag. He started looking at the pincover and I told him not to open that, that it was parachute, and there would be 300sqft of parachute all over the place if he did. He put it back in the stash bag, and back in the suitcase. Missy Nelson was with me and said something like "I can't believe you told him that, and more I can't believe he heeded your warning" I was quite shocked the intimidation by canopy fabric worked myself. I was polite, I just didn't want to repack and reclose that damn 266 in the airport.
Anyway, you shouldn't have a problem. If something happens, be polite but firm. Carry your logbook and USPA card, along with your cypres manual (not just the card). bring a pullup cord, as being prepared is the best deterrent (you know how it goes).
Have fun!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

All three of you should read the following thread

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=941289;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

It's titled TSA... priceless.

Also important are
http://www.flybirdman.com/tsa/
and
http://www.flybirdman.com/tsa/start.html

Remember, it's your life hanging in the rig. My advice: take it on as carry on lugage, don't let it out of your sight, put it in the overhead across from you so you can see it the whole time.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Carry your logbook and USPA card, along with your cypres manual (not just the card). bring a pullup cord...

Ditto on the "where do you get a manual/card for the Cypress?" Bought mine used. Can you simply write to the manufacturer to get the info?

dgm
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

Whether you have the card or not, a putz in a red coat can demand you open it.

Get the card from Cypress if you can. A photocopy or website printout might be helpful as well.

If you keep it with you and a TSA redcoat tell you to open it, ask for a manager. If the screener (A) cares enough to tell you to open it and (B) doesn't know enough to recognize a rig with cypress, the his supervisor should know what;s going on and let you through.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

both of you should remember a pull up cord isn't going to help if they open your reserve. You need to stay calm and tell them not to open it without a supervisor.

I'd tell you to print out the TSA guidelines on parachutes, but hidden in that page is a line saying a screener can open a parachute. I'm sure some redcoats would take that to mean they should open all parachutes.
witty subliminal message
1*

Yeah, I already saw that thread and picture. Thanks though. Also, for sure I am going to take it as a carry on. The point of this thread was to see what recent problems people have experienced with takling them on as carry ons.

I really didn't want to carry my gear bag, but I cleaned it out and all I will have is the rig in it.

Thanks for all the help so far. Keep the advice coming.

Clint D-24352

Yeah, I keep a pull up cord in my rig. I also have the TSA guidelines printed out, but it was smart of you to mention that. The TSA employees are (supposedly) trained to deal with rigs, but if anyone gives me shit, I will be kind but firm like what was said above. Thanks again.

Clint D-24352

I'm on the road traveling right now with my rig and all I did was just walk through the metal detector, grab the bag after they swabed it and walked to my plane. They opened the gear bag and swabed it after I told them which zipper to open. It took longer for me to get my shoes back on then it did to scan my rig.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I took my Cypres equiiped rig on Southwest from Houston Hobby to Ontario, Ca in January without any problems whatsoever I had it in a gearbag with my helmet w/two audibles and also had an rw suit and a freefly suit packed in there. I had all the TSA paperwork and also a new Cypres card that shows what a rig looks like. This same picture is in the TSA training manual for screeners. On the way back fro Ontario the screener knew what it the rig was and asked for a supervisor to do the little wipedown test.

The supervisor just wiped down the outside of my kitbag. He put the littloe paper in the EDS machine. My rig passed and he gave me back my kitbag with my rig inside and said "Have a nice flight". So easy and simple. If you are given any hassle just ask for an EDS wipedown. Your rig should pass and you should be on your way to your gate. There is no need to even open the rig period.

A lot has been posted in this forum on this whole subject. Do a search for it.

Chris

i've been travelling with my rig nonstop for the past month, I always carry it on. American West & Contintal...other than getting flagged becasue my tickets have often been last min it hasnt been an issue at all..sometimes they stop and give it the swab other times they dont even blink...I'd put it in a gear bag though, because you might end up spooking a wuffo or two and that can cause more trouble than its worth...

ps.. quade posted a picture of wraping your chest strap thru your reserve handle (if you dont have a pad) and i can personally attest that to a wuffo that shiny handle looks like a really good place to pick a rig up off the table...fortunately the guy that did it (i couldnt go over to where the scanner was as i was being wanded put his hand thru the handle and lifted it by the webbing even with the strap routed thru it....:o

I recently travelled from Manchester (UK) to Orlando via Philadelphia with US Airways. Going out, I put my Cypres equipped rig in a hard suitcase and checked it in. When I got it back the TSA had busted the lock and had a look see. Coming back to the UK, my rig went as carry on in a rig bag, didn't even raise an eyebrow going through the x-ray machine.

just went from nyc to orlando and back. no gear bag, no tsa print out, no cypres card, and no problem. carrid it over my shoulder and walked on the plane with it. good luck ....and peace

people see me as a challenge to their balance

dgm -

Write to Karen at [email protected] and she will send you a manual (which includes the Cypres card). That's what I did, because I bought my Cypres used as well.

But, like everyone else said have the TSA letter from the USPA, and your USPA crad. Good luck and have a nice trip!

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

I'm glad you posted this. On 4/01 my future wife & I are flying to New Orleans on Continental. Does anyone have any additional advice? I have my cypress card & the TSO letter. I am a littel nervous carring my rig with me, but there is no way in hell I'm letting it out of my sight!
By the way, I'll be jumping @ Gold Coast on the 4th, anybody here going to be there?
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I just went London, Charlotte, Orlando and back, my rig in a rig bag as carry on. No problems, questions, second looks or anything. It was only when I got back home I realised I still had my hook knife on the chest strap.:$

But no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the info! the 1st thing I told my wife after booking the flight was "don't let me foget my hook knife in my leg strap". I'm glad the TSA is SOOO on top of things! Makes me feel safe:S
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Also, I just called the closest SSK shop & they shipped 2 to me - no questions. I think they like them being out there. Got the number out of the manual, or your dz should have it too.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

To get a cypres card/manual in a pinch:
Borrow.
Any self respecting rigging loft will have dozens (because they keep them when they assemble new rigs or cypres-equipped rigs).
Many jumpers also have a few. I have a couple cypres manuals and one cypres2 manual.
Borrow them for your trip, then return them.
Have fun!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.