piisfish

regularly jumping a round reserve ??

Ok, so to be more precise, who carries a round reserve along on his back or belly to go jumping regularly...
no need to have deployed and landed it, just enjoyed the fun of gravity together.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

not a freakin' chance dude. I'd like to have a say in where I land. I don't see why todays jumper would feel compelled to jump outdated gear when it's not necessary. My first reserve was a PD176 that only cost me $450
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I know it is popular to jump square reserves, but I personally do not feel as safe with one as I would with a 26 foot modified lo-po round. They have fair penetration and you aren't going to be killed if your arm is broken or you are unconscious and can't steer. Even landing in the woods is pretty safe. I no longer jump with one, I just wish I did. It's easier to go with the flow, jump with the square reserve and hope I am not injured when I need it.

Ed

just curious to know how frequent it is to jump with a round reserve...
I only jump one when I jump a round main .

I know it is popular to jump square reserves, but I personally do not feel as safe with one as I would with a 26 foot modified lo-po round. They have fair penetration and you aren't going to be killed if your arm is broken or you are unconscious and can't steer. Even landing in the woods is pretty safe. I no longer jump with one, I just wish I did. It's easier to go with the flow, jump with the square reserve and hope I am not injured when I need it.

Personally I'd rather have a square reserve that I load at less than 1.2:1. I'll probably survive an unconcious landing, I can steer with one hand (switch toggles) if I have to, and put both toggles in one hand to flare if I have to.

I'm also pretty good at PLF's since the guy who taught me to jump impressed upon me that they are a survival skill that needs to be practiced, my first canopy was ragged out F111 so I had to do them on many of my first couple hundred jumps and I taught static line FJC's for a couple years so I had to demonstrate them several times per class.

Consider how few of today's jumpers can spot for a square main much less a round reserve... I think I'll stick with my square.

Actually, I have been on very few loads in the last year that the exits were even on the true wind-line, much less good enough to get a round back to the airport. Fortunately, you can put one in, just about anywhere. I have two round UNMODIFIED (for the young whippersnappers, that means no steering capability at all) reserve landings.

In today's jump environment, you aren't going to find very may people even capable of spotting for a round.

I believe an unconscious or incapacitated person landing under 1.2 to 1 has a very good chance of serious injury or death.

Ed

Consider how few of today's jumpers can spot for a square main much less a round reserve... I think I'll stick with my square.

I just got rid of the round reserve in my backup rig. I've got a bunch of round jumps, and entirely too many (7) round reserve jumps.

In a congested area, I'd much rather have a round than a square reserve; it goes down, so if you're at all good at picking your spot, it can be a small one (e.g. a back yard).

Jumping a round reserve for me means that I just don't plan on landing on the airport in the case of a reserve ride. Considering, however, that I'd probably follow my freebag down if I were to have another reserve ride on a square (forgot that the pilot chute isn't attached on my first one), I probably wouldn't land on the dropzone anyway.

So I guess what I"m saying is that I'll probably keep my square reserve, but a round is a very sound alternative. But only (like any other gear) if you're not inherently scared of it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

LOL, isn't that the truth. I know some people who never spotted 'til the were getting a JM rating. Those old jump boots in the "round" days? Those weren't for the landings, they were for the walk back until you learned to spot.
Considering the landings, it's easy to get hurt landing a round if you don't know how to PLF. I don't think a person's first round jump should be a reserve. There's enough stuff going on without that extra stress. Stay with a square.

Your poll doesn't have the option of just saying "yes I have a round reserve". For me, it doesn't matter - I am focusing on buying a lightning and am not worried about my round. I've had 2 reserve jumps on it already. An AMAZING guy at my dz is planning to do a "Canopy Transfer" with my round. :) Will deply the main then deploy the reserve. With 2 out, he will cut away and because there will be no tension, he will manually release the 3 rings!! Pretty Cool eh!? So with a round for students starting to use 2 point - there is less worry about them deploying the reserve BEFORE cut-away ~ true?

Jade
jade

In Comparison to a Modern Square reserve, how often do the round canopies malfunction? Do any of those old round reserve use anti-inversion nets??
Does anybody still make a round reserve?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Round canopies have a much higher inherent malfunction rate (see Poynter's manual Volume 1, section 8.1.15 for details. Even though diapers vastly reduce that malfunction rate, rounds are still a long way from perfect. The light-weight construction permitted under the low-speed category of TSO C23B did not stand up to the high speed openings of many 1980s skydivers.

Back in the 1980s, GQ Security of Great Britain certified a round reserve with anti-inversion netting, but because it was significantly bulkier, they never sold very many.

A few companies (Free Flight Enterprises, National, North American Aerodynamics, Strong Enterprises, etc.) still make round reserves, but the vast majority of their customers stuff them into pilot emergency parachutes.
The leading manufacturer of pilot emergency (TSO C23D higher speed) round canopies (Butler) refuses to sell to skydivers. Hee! Hee!

On a similar note, many major skydiving equipment dealers (i.e. Square One) flatly refuse to have anything to do with round canopies.

My personal experience with round canopies is limited to my first 70 sport jumps and a few military jumps on rounds. I have deployed three round reserves and sold my last round reserve in 1985.
My last ride on a round reserve was so bad that I missed a country the size of Germany! You could not GIVE me another round reserve!

I wonder if some folks realize that there were round canopy Accuracy Gold Medalists?

Yeah, but the target was bigger :D;)

And for those who say "well duh," yes, it was bigger. It was 10 cm across instead of 5.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I still do jump a rig with a round reserve about a quarter of the time.

It's in my old, 2nd rig. Until 2002 it was my only rig, for my first 500+ jumps. It's great to have a spare old rig! (for busy days, CRW, trashing, Bridge Day, Birdman, whatever)

I think skydivers often reach a certain comfort level with the the risks associated with their sport when they are first getting serious in the sport. Every safety innovation that comes into practice later on may be considered nice, but not essential. No Cypres? Round reserve? Some jumpers who started in the 1980s might have no problem borrowing a rig like that for a weekend, while the proportion of jumpers who began in the mid 1990s who would think the same thing, would be a lot lower.

Some of the difference is due to different assumptions of risk, and some is just due to different levels of familiarity with how to use the older equipment safely.

I have had one ride on that round reserve, going backwards in winds that were 15-18mph on the anemometer. A little scary given a few obstacles about? Sure. But it got me down safe. The Phantom 24 hadn't been used by me or previous owners in the 18 years since it was built ... until I took up CRW.

I'm glad to have the square in my newer, smaller rig, but have no problems jumping the round. Local issues affect ones choices too. I'd probably be less happy jumping with a round reserve if I were at a DZ surrounded by housing developments instead of open fields and a few small wooded areas.

None of the available answers is appropriate. I have jumped with a round reserve, our student gear does not have them, I have jumped them in conjunction with a square main, but I do not do it even occasionally any more.
A visiting jumper at Pitt Meadows will be accommodated, but other than that round parachutes are not permitted.

Poll=none of the above.
Only own one rig...for most jumps a square would do just fine or better than my round...but if things really got out of control...like trailing enough shit above your head(ie: a Cessna door) to rule out safely flying anything...I like my lopo 26.
Squares fly...rounds descend...2 different creatures.
If figure, on every jump I try to use a square first...and if that don't work...change up!
4 jumps on same lopo 26,first 3 landed on the DZ...last one in the swamp...go figure.
cons...I can't swoop it!!!;)
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.