elfanie

Safety of Skydiving

I understand what your saying. However I don't agree that skydiving is safe. I understand what you mean by your original comments but it's not safe. Managed risk is one thing, safe is another. I'm a skydiving instructor, ex freefly competitor, camera man, rigger... etc, etc, and can beyond a shadow of a doubt, say that skydiving is not safe.

Skydiving is a High Risk activity. The risk can be managed in such a way to reduce the chance of injury or death. A person may be a "safe" skydiver but that only refers to his/her actions as a skydiver, and not to the sport itself.

I just had cutaway last week. It was apparent that it was not safe to continue to fly my main.

A person does not always get the luxury or choosing the landing zone either. I've been forced to land in a few places that would certainly create the sense of danger if it was you landing in the same area. That's not a knock towards your ability, it's just the plain truth.

I'm not scared when I skydive. I've certainly been scared and get scared. That type of fright means I'm in danger or someone else is. I've been in 2 freefall collisions, been lower than any one should be on a skydiving parachute, had people pass my parachute while still in freefall by only a foot or 2, had to deal with landing hazards including obstacles and other parachutes. Heck I've CAUSED landing traffic problems. That's not only embarrasing, it's unsafe. I have way to many of these kinds of stories so I'll just have to leave it at I've caused danger, and have had people put me in danger as well.

Test jumps and odd stunts not included, even though they are calculated to best ensure my safety, I consider myself to have safe skydiving practices. But in no way do I think I'm truely safe.

I don't actually believe that you think it's safe. For obvious reasons skydiving is inherently dangerous. There are so many scenarios that you can't possibly even think of that put you in danger. I Can imagine LOTS of them but sure wouldn't have when I first started jumping.

I won't list statistics cuz they are unreliable and uncomparable to anything. Too much is left out and only the part where people die is included in statistics.

I also don't believe you think something will only happen to the other guy but this next comment goes out to several who do.

To you, I'm the other guy. To me, you're the other guy. A person is always the other guy to someone else. Make sense?

Hope this helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

hey btw.. i'd just like to add that she's talking about how there's millions of jumps, but what i dont think she understands is that most of those jumps are tandems. there's like 300,000 people that do tandems and only what, 34,000 licensed skydivers? (dont quote me on that).

I'll offer some quick stats from a large turbine DZ in the northeast with a very busy tandem program. We make roughly 50,000 jumps each year. Of those, about 5,000 are tandems, by an estimated 4,500 individuals (some make 2 or 3 tandems jumps). The other 45,000 jumps are made by about 2,000 individual experienced jumpers. So, more of the participants are students, but most of the actual jumps are made by experienced skydivers.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Matter of definition, I think. Usage here of "safe" on Stephanie's part is "safe enough." Not "without any risk." She's obviously not trying to imply that skydiving is as safe as say lying in your bed with the covers over your head - which has its own risks, the ceiling could cave in, etc. She's saying that skydiving, the basic jump-out-of-airplane-land-without-deliberate-low-turns kind, is safe enough in her mind to accept the risk that comes with it.

What's "unsafe" anyway? Risk and risk management isn't a black and white science. Pulling at 5,000 feet every time is safer than pulling at 3,000, you have more time to deal with any malfunctions. Swooping is less safe than a gradual "regular" landing. Skydiving is less safe than staying on the ground.

I think unsafe pretty much has to be defined by the individual, and for the most part could be defined as "carries a risk that's beyond what I am willing to accept."

I'm Stephanie's husband, by the way, just fair warning. ;)

Warning huh!!! hahaha.. ok.. come kick my ass.B| just kidding. (unless of course you just feel like it. I'm kinda bored today and could use a good ass whoopin)

Seriously though.. I get her thoughts on it. I tend to agree with HOW she meant it not what was initially stated.

I very much stand by my post though. Managed risks and risks beyond our control are still accepted risks. hmmm... that's just another way to say what you did... What's "unsafe" anyway? Risk and risk management isn't a black and white science.

Yup.. too many variables. Any way My post is general and we all agree it's not "Safe" but acceptably safe enough to continue doing it.

It's way to fun to stop now:P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Please don't take anything of what I wrote in the message posted to the forum as an argument against your previous comments. The reference to the Russian roulette was intended to be valid only within the context of my message (my bla-bla-bla on probability). I didn't mean to imply anything.

You were correct when stating “I can keep my wingloading under 1:1, have taken 3 different canopy control courses, never swoop, fly extremely conservative and reduce my risk at absolutely every turn”… and “but the statistical risk of skydiving is there regardless…”

The point that remains implicit (a friend says “implicit is god, explicit is better”) is that in that case the “statistical risk” wouldn’t be applicable to you, because you would be acting more carefully (i.e. “practicing less risky behaviors”) than the hypothetical “average skydiver” for whom the “statistical risk” is applicable.

The concept I have been going around is that of -in epidemiology- the “ecological fallacy”. It refers to situations in which a characteristic of the population is wrongly attributed to one individual that is part of that population.

True, when we know nothing about a given skydiver (i.e. her/his behavior and other characteristics) what we will do is assume she/he acts/is like the average one, and attribute to her/him the “statistical risk”. It is not bad to provide the skydiver with “generally sound advice” that is good for everyone (e.g. keep aware of altitude).

It is also true that when trying to help a specific person prevent health problems (including getting injured while skydiving) we will do a better job if we provide specific advice on how to change the risky behavior she/he is practicing (e.g. I have seen you try to reach the ground with your right foot while flaring… don’t do it because you introduce an additional force that can make the canopy approach the ground uneven, and this can result in a hard less controlled landing).

This takes me to one of your first questions: what should I know or what do you feel that I need to know that I don't know?

Since you obviously consider safety important, I am sure you are aware of what are –in general- “risky behaviors” and try to avoid practicing them.
While continuing yourself doing it, you would benefit of “personalized advice” you can get from instructors, jumpmasters, safety officers, other more experienced skydivers, safety reports, and from your own observations of what can be risky behaviors (as others incur in them or avoid them).

I am an instructor and jumpmaster. I feel responsible for helping my students and other less experienced jumpers to practice “safe skydiving”

Best wishes* for this New Year for all.

*A new gear, lots of good jumps, good jump mates, and no injuries!

Warning huh!!! hahaha.. ok.. come kick my ass.B| just kidding. (unless of course you just feel like it. I'm kinda bored today and could use a good ass whoopin)

It's way to fun to stop now:P

heh... nah, that was just a disclaimer required by the government. ;) I just think this whole thread (and the comments on the other one too) were primarily a disagreement over the discussion and usage of the word "safe."

heh... nah, that was just a disclaimer required by the government. ;) I just think this whole thread (and the comments on the other one too) were primarily a disagreement over the discussion and usage of the word "safe."

True, this "disagreement"/heated discussion is based on symantics...or lack there of...As I stated before, in my previous post, I can understand her point of view, but I feel that to describe the act of exiting a plane while flying through the sky at 13,500ft. is as described by many as "inherently dangerous" and we as humans must except the fact that no one is Superman and numbers can be decieving...continue talking to experienced skydivers, listen to the stories, read the incident reports, and watch the everyday activities at a DZ...this may change your point of view...We can minimize the risk, take our calculated risk, however you want to describe it, but I continue skydiving despite the risk because I love the feeling I get when I am out the door...Everyone has their reasons why they continue to skydive despite the riskof injury or death...but I have been told...and dread the day, that someone I know and care about will be lost...those are sobering words...As I stated before: Be safe, be aware, and triple check everything...Cheers...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

"Safe" is just a word. There were many things she was implying when she wrote the post that were not necessarily stated.

Right. Which is a good thing to be careful about when posting on the internet - since words are all we have to go by and words are interpreted by different people in different ways.

In threads like this there's always people who say "you can do everything right and still die". I'm curious how many incidents each year were a case of that. Obviously it's very hard to say exactly what else a person could have done in certain situations, and the answer to this question would be arguable on some incidents. But as a rough estimate, I'd bet the proportion is very small. I've read through pages of incident reports and with each one, according to the investigator, there was at least one thing the jumper could have done to prevent his death. I actually don't think I could find one where there was no "user error" present (recent fatalities).

That said, maybe the argument should not be "safe of unsafe", but "how forgiving of error". Russian Roulette is not a valid comparison. There is no user input except spinning a wheel and pulling a trigger. 100% of Russian Roulette deaths are analagous to a "gear failure" in skydiving. Driving is a more valid comparison, as our risk relies heavily on our own choices and those of the other drivers on the road. But I'd wager to say a VERY small proportion (i.e. next to ZERO) of fatal traffic accidents are caused by a car failing to perform as instructed by the driver.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've read through pages of incident reports and with each one, according to the investigator, there was at least one thing the jumper could have done to prevent his death. I actually don't think I could find one where there was no "user error" present (recent fatalities).

January 2000. Perris, CA. Very experienced (5000+ jumps), very current jumper. New gear, with Cypres. A line from the main caught on a grommet on one of the main flaps, creating a horseshoe. He tried to clear it, tried to chop it, nothing worked. Had no choice but to fire the reserve. It didn't clear the mess above him.

He did everything right. He died.

That's one example anyway; I know about it because I watched him exit the plane just ahead of our group on that skydive. There are others.

I'd still bet occurences like those, today, happen less than those caused by user error

Absolutely. "Pilot error" is and always has been the leading cause of skydiving fatalities.

But the fact remains that incidents like the one I mentioned do happen - IIRC there was another one in Eloy within a month or so of the one I'm talking about.

No matter how perfect a skydiver I may be, no matter how many "safety devices" I have on my rig, I can still die jumping out of airplanes. To me that makes the sport far from "safe." "Safe enough" for me to participate in... but not "safe."

I agree entirely Lisa.

The point I was trying to make is that when people compare stats they usually use the "full" stats (i.e. including pilot error). I'd be interested to see stats of skydivers who die while doing nothing wrong, versus auto drivers who die while doing nothing wrong, versus pedestrians who die while doing nothing wrong (didn't the pres. of a South FL canopy company die like this recently?). I think that using those statistics the sport might at least be a little closer to the all too common phrase newbies use - "it's as safe as driving and all those other things we do!" Notice I said a *little* closer. :$
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think that using those statistics the sport might at least be a little closer to the all too common phrase newbies use - "it's as safe as driving and all those other things we do!" Notice I said a *little* closer.

About 1 in 1000 skydivers die every year. If you skydive, your odds of dying while skydiving are MUCH higher than your odds of dying while driving.

Dave

I kinda liked the russian r. analogy you almost made, Elphanie... except that the number of chambers increases and decreases with experience and situation.

Here's another analogy. Kids learning to drive.

Get 'em through those tricky adolescent years and they'll probably be ok.

I'm right in the middle of those adolescent jump numbers myself... Realizing that, I try to stay away from certain things... hook turns for example. 4-way or larger FF jumps (I'm a rw guy at present). Larger tracking dives. I would wear a camera now, but I wouldn't for several hundred jumps even when I wanted to and had one. Wing suits, I'd like to try that but am sorta waiting. I stayed with a medium performance canopy. That was a good call. I have no business trying Base just yet.

I dunno. It's not hard to skydive safely. All you have to do is choose to be safe. Exercise a little self discipline. Stack the deck in your favor as they say.

Even still, you can do everything right, and still get bit.

So it goes.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I still don't see it. You are saying that I, mr. average skydiver, am more likely to die due to a mechanical failure of my car than due to a mechanical failure of my rig? I don't agree. Car's don't just suddenly explode for no reason. Now if you include me driving along and getting hit by some drunk driver or something, then you have to include canopy collisions and freefall collisions in your analogy.

Gear falures don't happen for no reason. There's always SOMETHING that could have been done differently. But failures do happen unexpectedly.

I know the stats aren't available, but just look at how many skydivers are killed by malfunctioning cars vs malfunctioning rigs.

I don't believe anyone will find a VALID argument that skydiving is anywhere near as safe as driving.

Dave

>Gear falures don't happen for no reason. There's always SOMETHING
> that could have been done differently.

Not really. Sometimes parachutes just malfunction, even when properly assembled, maintained and packed. It's very rare but it happens; double mals occur on a sporadic (but rare) basis.

Ron had insinuated that I'd only be able to say that something was safe or unsafe if I was only an active participant

No, my point is you don't know enough about those aspects of the sport to say what is, and what is not dangerous. You don't have to do it, but you have to have some idea of that aspect of the sport.

I only know of ONE death from CReW that was broken off before 2 grand...And it was an exit issue at a competition.

So for you to say CReW, Wingsuits, BASE are dangerous, but Skydiving is "safe" is wrong.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'd be interested to see stats of skydivers who die while doing nothing wrong, versus auto drivers who die while doing nothing wrong, versus pedestrians who die while doing nothing wrong

The problem is that there is no such thing as an accident. There are only errors in judgment.

I was in a risk assesment class. The instructor told us that there was no such thing as an accident. We tried to argue with him...but every incident we brought up, he slammed us back down.

Using Lisa's example....The manufactorer of the rig screwed up and thought that the groment would be fine.

People don't mantain their rigs.

People turn into the ground.

Pedestrians who get hit crossing a street didn't cross at the right place, did't look well enough, or misjudged the crossing....Or maybe the driver was not looking for a guy to cross the street...Either way...An error in judgment, not an accident.

But the simple fact is that Skydiving is not a Safe sport. I like what Winsor said about it basicly being commiting suicide. You throw yourself out of a plane....If you do nothing you will die, if something goes wrong you could die.

That does not sound like a safe sport to me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Well, I disagree. Malfunctions do occur unexpectedly, but not for no reason. The user may not be able to prevent every malfunction, but someone, somewhere along the line could. Every malfunction has a cause. I'm not saying that every malfunction could be realistically avoided. In fact I don't even remember what the hell my point was. :)
Dave

You're right of course, virtually everything can be put down to a mistake by someone somewhere.

But put in chaos theory though and you might come up against situations where shit just happens. Imagine a tension knot on a large canopy... not caused by anything much other than the lines moving against each other on deployment. No ones fault, not really something that can be avoided, just happens.

All that messed up burble air makes for a large chaos theory factor.

>Malfunctions do occur unexpectedly, but not for no reason.

Sometimes even a perfectly packed parachute does not open correctly. It can get a lineover, or it can open hard enough to break lines, or it can open in unrecoverable line twists etc. A parachute deployment is an essentially chaotic event; there's no way to "force" a flexible assembly of lines and fabric in a 120mph airstream to do exactly what you want it to do. A well designed parachute will do the right thing 99.95% of the time, but that other .05% - you'll have problems, even if you do everything else right.

there's no way to "force" a flexible assembly of lines and fabric in a 120mph airstream to do exactly what you want it to do. A well designed parachute will do the right thing 99.95% of the time,

Off topic, I know, but when you think about that, it's just amazing. Absolutely amazing.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.