The web site is http://www.cspa.ca

I can't give you good comparisons on license numbers but we have about 10% of the population in general... Also we have one more level .. the E license. Means that you offer policy suggestions to the almighty himself.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

the E license

Ian, you have been gone a little too long. You can find people with an E, however, when the licenses became harder to get, the E was tossed.

Most recent numbers listed in Canpara:
A 10260
B 5163
C 3055
D 1012

The numbers work the same way the USPA numbers do... kinda. When the new licenses came into effect, the numbers were all bumped to the next thousand to distinguish from the old system. So, the new A's started counting at 10000, B's at 5000. C's at 3000, and D's at 1000.

You can find people with an E, however, when the licenses became harder to get, the E was tossed.

There are 2 E licenses at our DZ. E-8 and E-11. Only 13 people ever got this license.

Oh, and I know this is picky but the licenses in Canada are actually called Certificates of Proficiency, or CoPs;).
Flying Hellfish #470

The biggest difference is that the CSPA licenses (CoPs) are WAY harder to get. For instance, the D- CoP requires 500 jumps, but very few peoplw with that number of jumps would be proficient enough to meet the requirements of two disciplines. As an example, if you wanted to do RW and CRW you would need to get 7 points on five RW 4-ways in working time (35 seconds), and 8 rotations on five CRW 4-way jumps in working time (2 mins I think). You don't have to pick RW and CRW, you have your choice of 2 of the following: RW, CRW, Freefly, Style, and Accuracy. Of course there are other requirements like accuracy and a test.

Canuck

Thanks for the update all. It appears that I have been gone longer than I thought.

Shows with my licenses (CoP... we have to be different.. don't we..) A#995, B#18xx (have to check) and my C#1152.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I can find the requirements in my old documentation and get back to you. One privledge was that it came with a life time CSPA mmemebership

From memory, you had to do a water landing for a E. Along with others...

Again, from memory, the E didnt get you any priviledges (other then the membership thingy). For that matter, the D doesnt give you any other normal privileges over the C if memory serves me right... But I'll stand corrected if someone can pipe in with more info... Its been a while since I looked at the SIMs and especially since the COP re-work...
Remster

The 'E' or 'Hubris' CoP had things in it like water followed by minimum swim time to a target, video or film jumps, and night accuracy. When the requirements were designed video would have put you into fairly elite company. The CoP did not come with a lifetime membership. It included, rather, a waiving of the FAI annual sporting license fee. This is something you needed to purchase when you entered the nationals (maybe you still do.??).
The D CoP now only is required for a course conductor rating (equivalent to an instructor-examiner in the US). The requirements are now tough enough that people are getting it just for the challenge. As far as I know Andreas Tize and Dave Brown are the only people who have successfully accomplished the freefly task.

Does anyone know what the requirements for the E-CoP were? Did it come with any privileges?

The E licence requirements had some weird stuff in it!

Here they are, paraphrased from my early 1990s manual:

-- there are some residency requirements
-- 500 jumps (when the D required only 200)
-- 2 hrs 30 min freefall.
-- 5 intentional water landings, one within 15 seconds swimming time of a target buoy
-- 5 night freefalls, one at least 30 seconds with landing within 10 metres of target
-- land within 1 m on 5 consecutive jumps, and within 1 m on at least 25 jumps total
-- compete in the Canadian Nationals in two separate events, or in 2 Nationals in one event
-- style set in 11 seconds or less (International Cross)
-- have a class B instructor rating
-- have a class A rigger rating
-- 25 RW 4-way jumps including a) 5 different jumps with 5 or more completed FAI formations
b) 1 night RW jump as the agressor
c) 5 camera jumps, supplying a photo as proof of ability
-- make one 45 second delay using supplementary oxygen
[The dodge on that one was that it didn't have to be a high altitude jump, so the oxygen system could be crude and not necessarily be able to keep you alive at extreme altitude!]

Privileges? Other than bragging rights for a cool, low licence number for having to do a lot of jumping through hoops, so to speak, all you got was:

The FAI sporting licence fee is waived by the CSPA.

[At the start of the 90s a sporting licence was needed to just compete at the nationals; now it is only for going to the Worlds or similar competitions.]

Peter Chapman
CSPA D-1014
(arrived in the mail a couple weeks ago!)

nice going Peter....

Another part of the CoP's is that we have like a hundred questions on our tests and you need to get 80% to pass. (Unless that has changed too)
My B4076 I got 6 years ago, and I'm almost good enough to get the new "C"...;)

Rules and Regulations are different in Canada too, as we don't deal with the FAA (because that's the United States Air-thingy-rule people)

The numbers were bumped up when the new COP requirements were brought in.

I think new A's started at 10000, Bs at 5000, Cs at ?? and Ds at 1000....or something like that. Personally I think it was an unnecessary move. Requirements had changed before and the numbering systems weren't changed.

D's were less than 700 if I remember correctly before the new COP numbering system came into place.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Even before the new licence versions, the Canadian numbering system had a glitch or two that made the numbers not purely consecutive. I seem to recall that with at least one licence level, there was an administrative error one time (mid 1990s?) so there was a gap in the numbers. So the person with licence 900, say, might actually be the 850th person with that licence.

To clarify the differences between various national licensing standards: a few years back (circa 2000) Harro Trempaneau wrote new licensing standards for the Federation Aeronautique Internationale. Canada was the first nation to adopt the new standards, closely followed by the USA, etc.
In another few years every nation should have the same licensing standards, at least until "sideways" skydiving becomes popular.
Hee! Hee!

I think for the CSPA D CoP you need to participate in the nationals. Pretty sure that is not the case for the USPA.

It is a little less painful than that. You must have competed at a regional, provincial or national competition in at least one discipline.

For those that are interested in the modern CoP requirements. Follow the link below to a PDF.

http://www.cspa.ca/cspa/Students/CoP2001Mar16CDv2.pdf

I'm 10270.
pleased to meet you.;)
I was kinda pissed CANPARA is so slow to print the new CoP holders but if you think about it, how many people are really getting liscences in the late fall, winter, even early spring up here? They print so few CoP holders just so that they have something to print juring these winter months when not a hell of alot is going on.

My CSPA membership # is 10484....It almost looks as if I'm on track to have my A lic # match my membership #B|

On another note....E Cop holders were not the only ones with lifetime memberships...my DZO D 312 has a lifetime membership.