skydivingdutch

Does you DZ have internet access?

Hi,

I'm writing some new DZ software (search for a previous post of mine), and I need to know if this can be web-based. That allows me to make it look nice and develop quicker, but it wont run on computers without intenet access, at least not without quite bit of configuration (local webserver and database server).

So, do you know if you DZ has inet access? Only the office would be fine too, since that is where you would use this.

http://dropman.com

So do you need each computer that this is running on to have internet access or just access to the dbase via the lan? If you're wanting to have every computer have web access, why and are you going to use a non-standard port, since I would think that if a DZ has a computer siting by itself for folks to use with webaccess, it may have certain ports blocked, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Most DZ's don't. There are a small amount of them that do, but those on a modem are now trying up a phone line every time they want to do manifest things? That won't fly very long before the cost of the ISP, phone line and downtime when the internet is not working correctly comes into play.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Nope, it sure doesn't. At least none that is advertised for us skydivers.

I can tell you this - if my DZ did offer Broadband Access, I'd be out at the DZ once or twice a week "working from home" at the DZ.

Hint hint... Hear that BAS ?? Get BROADBAND!! B|

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I'd advise against making it web-based, since the web is not the most reliable of mediums, and if dzs only have dialup internet access they may have to upgrade that to unmetered or broadband.

I am also considering writing some DZ software, but if I do it will be another year until I start it. At the moment, I am considering local Java or a local PHP/MySQL combination. I would use one of the popular PHP, MySQL & Apache installers to install and configure the webserver, and then I would write my own php script to install the tables in the database. The rest would just be copying files, which can be done by an InstallShield wizard. So, for the customer, they would:
1. Use an InstallShield to install apache, php, mysql with no configuration required.
2. Use an InstallShield to copy my files over
3. Possibly use a php script to create the tables, although having thought about it this could probably be done by an InstallShield too.
4. Go to http://localhost/

perris has two computers in the Bomb Shelter. They are quit old and slow though. but still its net access:)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin