kelpdiver

Wind holds at my jumpzone have...

How frequently is the wind an issue at your DZ, say for the May - September timeframe? It's been driving me crazy - in the last 2 weeks I've gone out 3 days (4 hours driving r/t) and gotten 2 jumps. A month back I was at Perris for 3 days and did 4 jumps, 2x15mins in the tunnel, and rode the plane down once for winds. I was the limiting factor then, now it's the arrival of 20mph winds by 11am.

I'm particularly interested in what's typical at Skydance, Byron, Hollister, and Perris. I may need to go visit somewhere for a busy weekend so I can finish off the student sequence at a much faster clip. With these long pauses I still tend to get sloppy with the legs.

There are a number of factors regarding winds, the time of year and the part of the planet you're talking about.

A typical day in southern California during the summer starts out fairly still. The first few loads of the day are usually the absolute best as far as comfort and smooth air under canopy. As the it heats up, thermals start and the winds can do funky things: dust devils, shifting 180 degrees in a matter of minutes, stuff like that. A lot of this has to do with Perris being located both in a desert and somewhat near the coast. Among other things, the two extremes in temperatures cause the winds. Depending on a number of factors, it might not be a bad idea to just go have lunch. ;) As the day goes on even further, the winds probably will settle in on one direction and the dust devils will tend to go away. You'll still usually have several hours of good jumping weather before sunset.

In the fall we have a slightly different condition that pops up every once in a while called the Santa Ana Winds. These are caused by a whole different set of conditions and when they're going . . . they can get up to hurricane levels. Really impressive stuff. This can shut down the drop zone for a day or two if they're really persistent, but after that it'll be good for several days to a week before conditions are right (or wrong) for the cycle to restart.

Winter at Perris is usually nice as is spring. Winter can be startlingly clear with visibility in the hundreds of miles. From altitude you can sometimes see all the way into Mexico.

Skydiving is very weather dependant. You'll get used to some extremes, learn to deal with some and to avoid others.

Just remember this, "It's far better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you where on the ground.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Great answer Paul. California, particularly around Perris and Elsinore is a huge series of microclimates, with the weather and winds changing constantly.

My best advice is to plan to arrive to the DZ before the first load goes up. The winds are nice and calm for the first few loads, then hang out during the lunchtime dust devils, then get back on the plane in the afternoon. I have never failed to get in at least 4 jumps in a day. Also plan to stay for the entire weekend. That way you can get even more jumps in. It just takes LOTS of planning. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Well,due to gusting winds I'm still recovering from a very bad tandem landing that happened on April 24th. Remember the ground is REALLY hard and its not the fall that gets you its the sudden stop that really takes the fun out of it.Blue skies to all,but for me its still ice bags and PT.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

My best advice is to plan to arrive to the DZ before the first load goes up. The winds are nice and calm for the first few loads, then hang out during the lunchtime dust devils, then get back on the plane in the afternoon. I have never failed to get in at least 4 jumps in a day. Also plan to stay for the entire weekend. That way you can get even more jumps in. It just takes LOTS of planning. . .

As I prefaced it, it's been a bad couple weeks. There by 9:30, wind shuts everything down from 11:00 or so until closing. If I got on every other load (not really possible) I still wouldn't be able to get 4 runs.

The catch with showing up early at my DZ is a different common problem - the morning marine layer. My first non jumping day last Labor Day was due to it never clearing up. Quite often it's unjumpable until 10am.

Then there's a personal reason - I don't like to wake up at 6am period - I'd rather get a couple more hours of sleep. I'm better rested and more alert. And with the DZ two hours south, I don't have an accurate weather picture until I'm halfway there. (I'd kill for a webcam on the airport)

So aside from general venting about lovely wind (and the responses are helpful), I'm looking for viable alternatives because the status quo isn't working well for me. I'd really like to finish it out this month because later in the summer I have other commitments that will take at least half my weekends.

It sounds like you both are warning that Perris/Elsinore aren't always as reliable as I saw at the beginning of May. If most of California has this issue in the summer, also good to know.

Nope. We're not warning you about the weather. We're giving you hints to try to cope with it. It doesn't matter -where- you jump, you're -aways- going to have some weather days over the course of the year. -ALL- drop zones have bad weather at one time or another.

For what it's worth, SoCal drop zones have some of the -best- weather on the planet, which is among the reasons that so many folks from around the world come here.

I'm sorry if you don't like to get up before 6 am, but if you stay in the sport long enough and especially if you get into the competitive aspects . . . you'll get over it. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't have an accurate weather picture until I'm halfway there. (I'd kill for a webcam on the airport)

Learn to read aviation weather reports. I find AOPA's weather to be some of the best, but you have to pay for that service. But check out this weather URL.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Here's how I, a late sleeper at heart, handle Perris/Elsinore...

Up at whatever time it takes for me to be on the road by 6:30. Coffee is a good thing. At the DZ by 8ish, and usually can get a jump or two in (I'm slow) before the winds get wonky around noonish. Then lunch, break, talk to people like Lew or Quade, ground school's in!!!, nap and/or chatter with friends (who I make during the wind time), and then, usually around 4-5ish, I get to jump once or twice again, if I'm lucky and up to it (meaning I didn't crash in the morning...). Sunset jumps are absolutely wonderful - usually a high alti Clear and Pull, and then I'm home again, jiggity jog...

As Quade said, the weather is glorious 75% of the time...it's up to you to be able to take advantage of it when it's there...and if that means getting up early, then get up early!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

"It's far better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you where on the ground."

A sentiment that just cannot be fully appreciated until you've been there.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

"It's far better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you where on the ground."

A sentiment that just cannot be fully appreciated until you've been there.

Amen. Luckily for me I was only 20 feet off the ground at the time. Turbulence sux. PLFs do not. ;)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I can't believe you are driving all the way to Monterey from San Francisco!

I would love to say that Byron is not windy, but....

We have, however, been getting our students in the air. There are periods of wind hold as the climate starts to heat up.

Skydance and Byron are your closest options if you are really in SF. I used to live in North Beach and it was 1:15 door to door to Byron and about 1:30 to Skydance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

We're pretty lucky in Hollister in our small little valley. Only AFF has been winded out, and only for short periods of time this year. We've also been lucky with the marine layer being non-existent or dissipating by 10am.

I made it from Hollister to my front door in Pacific Heights in SF in 1:25 door to door (not even really speeding!)

I am also looking very forward to FINALLY jumping in Byron on Monday!

Blog Clicky

Hey, I like the diving scene. 9 years and a few hundred dives there. But yeah, I'm right near USF, so it's a healthy drive.

I had only intended to do the AFF1 while accompanying friends on a tandem trip. I had done the 18k tandem at Hollister 3 years earlier and wanted to see the bay view.

> I would love to say that Byron is not windy, but....

Those hundreds of windmills always make me wonder, but does most of the wind stop at the pass? I'm going to a wedding in Livermore late in the afternoon on July 4th. If I get things squared away this month I'll be coming to play in the morning.