Kid_Icarus

A really graphic Picture Skydiving?

I got sent a picture, as we all do, of a man impaled by a large 8"+ wooden post. The title said it was from skydiving but no more details. Just wondering if anyone else had received this or can debunk the photo so the community can set the story straight. Thanks.

I can also add with certainty that the split-rail wooden fences that surround the landing area at Raeford dropzone are setup so that if you fly into them, the boards will simply fly off as the horizontal rails are nailed to the outside of the 4x4 posts.

Note to self: "Add this to my list of theories not to test." :P
Arrive Safely

John

I can also add with certainty that the split-rail wooden fences that surround the landing area at Raeford dropzone are setup so that if you fly into them, the boards will simply fly off as the horizontal rails are nailed to the outside of the 4x4 posts.

Chuck

Wow! From both directions????? :)

Michael

I have seen that picture and frankly, it really pissed me off. First, I want to know why it's not against the law to take pictures of someone in an emergency room in a such a state that it would be impossible to give their permission to take that picture. Second, I have 16 jumps and only 7 of them are recent. A "friend" who doesn't like the idea of me sky diving sent it to me, and let's face it, it's a pretty jolting picture. I didn't appreciate recieving it and I told him it was in very poor taste! Other than that, I know nothing about the details of it. Just needed to blow off a little steam about it.

This is way off topic but,
why should taking such a picture be illegal? Agreed that it's in poor taste, but why do so many people think they have some "right to privacy" while they are in public. I haven't seen the pic, but I'm assuming it wasn't taken in a hospital emergency room (where you should have a reasonable expectation of privacy)
If you are out in public as long as someone doesn't physically hurt you, they should be allowed to look at you or listen to you (and yes, that includes looking at you/listening to you with recording devices). And yes, they should be allowed to share those recordings (I'm undecided on whether they should be allowed to profit from them)
In this case, I would think it should only be illegal if the picture taker is taking pictures INSTEAD of rendering assistance...

But I'm just a caveman, your fancy picture devices, they frighten me.

-kjarv

I've not seen this pic but even where the photo was taken in an emergency room, all there has to be is consent on behalf of the injured party - even after the fact. Hey-presto the photo can be freely circulated. I'd bet photo's are regularly taken to assist in operative and post operative care - probably even patient souvenirs.

I'm sure a search on here might even turn up similar photographs. There are even people's x-rays and detailed studies of their skydiving inflicted wounds. Do they, their existence or their posting upset you?

I'd hazard a guess that the real cause for complaint here is the way in which they were presented to you and the motives of the presenter; not their actual existence or their content.

If there was permission given, that is a different story but I tend to believe that it WASN'T the man in the picture that gave permission.

Yes, it was the intent of who sent it to me for it to upset and make me think about what I'm doing and being so new to this, it worked, but not enough to make me really want to stop. It just burned a pretty ugly image into my mind that I had to deal with and I didn't appreciate it.

Even though i fully support your claim for privacy, (and i deleted the image as i received it as it was really disgusting), i cannot recall whether you could actually identify the person.
If you cannot identify the person, you don't have to worry about privacy (and i don't mean really thin black bars over the eyes here, i mean really unidentifyable).

And it for sure was not one of the documentary pictures taken by hospital staff. It was like 6 feet away from the table.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Yes, it was taken in an emergency room where I do believe you have the right to privacy. That was my point.

When I hear courts in the U.S. rule on this sort of thing, they don't talk about a right to privacy, they talk about an expectation of privacy. Apparently someplace you would expect privacy is some place where you have a right to it - such as a public dressing room where the door closes.

Unfortunately I'm not sure whether an ER counts as a place someone would have an expectation of privacy.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

It just burned a pretty ugly image into my mind that I had to deal with and I didn't appreciate it.

Stay in the sport long enough and you'll accumulate quite a few ugly images burned into your mind. Don't kid yourself - injuries and death are a part of the sport.

Unless you can find the REAL story behind that... I wouldn't count on it being a skydiving incident.

I seriously doubt it had any thing to do with skydiving or parachutes or airplanes.

Has any one in the skydiving community actually heard about this? None that I know of. It wouldn't have been kept secret.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How recent did the pic look, I had one of the old timers out at a Dz tell me how he watched a smoke jumper frap in, right onto a fence. Said he didnt even come back to a dropzone for 15 years; now he jumps for a living :) I wouldnt sweat it too much if your going to burn in regardless of what you hit its not going to be pretty. Did the corpse have a rig on ? Heck i'm all curious now and want to see the picture

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I got a similar e-mail from a frend but the picture was a bit blury and looked like it was alterd. Also the guy was wearing regular work clothes like a contruction worker or somthing. This one was titled "So you want to skydive" IT was predtty ugly but defintly didnt look real.
~Shelly

Stay in the sport long enough and you'll accumulate quite a few ugly images burned into your mind. Don't kid yourself - injuries and death are a part of the sport.

So in your opinion, all new students should be shown photos of what might happen. I think that was an inopropiate response. Not all will have the misfortune of seeing someone die in skydiving. I was stationed at Bragg for ten years and only heard of one death. More deaths from driving. There they make over a thousand jumps a day. Injuries yes, but still doesn't mean everyone wants to see photos. If you read the reply, it said she did not appreciate it being email to her.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****