kellx

I'm New!

Hello,
I'm doing a 10,000ft freefall tandem sky dive in August for a charity called Cry. To say I am crapping is an under statement. Can people give me some comments on what it's like first time. I am scared of heights, scared of flying, but I really want to do this. My 2 worst fears are crash landing! And how do I breathe????
Help
[:/]

I'm really worried that when I jump, I panic and get into a right embarrassing state!!
I'm really looking forward to it but at the same time I keep thinking what am I doing. I can't even imagine the buzz I'll get.
Silly question, is 10,000ft high for a first jump?

Remember first.....relax! Breath through your nose.....relax.....freefall tends to be noisy but once the canopy opens....it's very peaceful, calm and quiet. Your tandem instructor will be very proficient in a nice soft landing, just listen to his instructions. If you are scared of heights and flying....the height fear may not be too much of a problem. On the ride up to altitude take nice deep breaths to relax. You won't be in the door long enough and once you're out the door, it will be fun!!!! You'll love it!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

now, to be honest, tandem landings might not always be standing, but there is a sliding-on-the-butt technique which is very efficient...
the breathing part is easy... just do as usual, might help if you don't look down but in front of you.

Just try not to stress too much, stay relaxed and natural, breathe and enjoy the scenery. Take a videoman along with you. This will most certainly be the most incredible experience you will everr live, so make sure you can show it to the people you love.

The fact of being scared of heights does not enter into account here, because you have no relation to ground, so vertigo does not apply.

One of the things I really love is seeing the faces of people before/during/after their 1st jump...

Please enjoy the ride and make sure you post pics once you have jumped.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Ok, thanks. I will have to to some severe deep breathing. My friend is doing one the same day, so I'll have support from her! We can freak out together. I know that once I jump I'll be ok, i can't even imagine the view it's just going to be sky!! I'm panicking just now thinking about it!!!!

Don't worry . . . after this, you won't be afraid of flying, in the real sense anyway. ;) You might still be afraid of planes, like I am, but you'll never forget the feeling of true flight. :)

I was thinking the same thing, Kelly..

And to the poster.. no need to be scared of crash landing.. your Tandem Master doesn't want to crash land either.. and he/she is in charge! Just relax and have FUN!! You will feel better about the whole thing when your TM talks to you about it and tells you what to expect and what to do.
You will be all smiles!!
wheeeeeeee!!!!!
:)

I wouldn't worry too much about your fear of heights. I was (and still am) not too comfortable at the top of a high ladder or getting anywhere near the edge of a roof,etc... But climbing out onto the step of a plane never really bothered me. I don't know why,but it's just different. Good luck! Hope you have a great experience!

You should be too high to get scared of heights.
I know of a tandem master with thousands of jumps who is still freaked somewhat by small planes. Don't worry, if the plane stops flying you'll be real close to someone with a parachute.
And, you should be scared, but excited as well - that's all part of the fun of skydiving.

Good luck. Enjoy.

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

To be real honest, I was very afraid on my first jump. When I stepped off the plane there was about 2-3 seconds of sensory overload and then I was in freefall (AFF). I couldn't believe how beautiful it was!!!!! I fell in love with skydiving right then & there. Just relax. You're going into an alien environment, but you will really enjoy things once you're there. My only regret was taking so long to start jumping. Don't worry about breathing; you'll have no problems.

The people who have the toughest times are the ones with external motivation to make that first jump, meaning yu're doing it because someone else wants you to do it. As the day approaches, you will feel more and more anxious about it, and will need to find some kind of internal motivation to help you deal with it. Making a tandem jump is not the most dangerous thing in the world, nor is flying in a small airplane. The sensations of flying, the floating joy of freefall, the silent beauty of the world beneath you when under canopy are some of the most delicious experiences you can have. Look inside yourself to find your inner thrill seeker, and try to look at this upcoming skydive as a glorious adventure. Do it because it's fun and exciting, and may be the beginning of a whole new way of life for you, not because you have to for charity.

Or maybe just try Valium.;)

Best of luck.:)

Just relax, the sensation is indescribable. NOT A ROLLERCOASTER-LOSE YOUR STOMACH thing OK. Just follow the tandem masters instructions and enjoy. Actually I think 10K is too LOW--once you experience the freefall you'll wish it would last longer. Cheers. Blue Skies.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Hello,
I am scared of heights, scared of flying, but I really want to do this. My 2 worst fears are crash landing! And how do I breathe????

Like they are saying heights is not a problem, I think that most will agree that many skydivers are afraid of heights as well. Breathing-Just do it. Normal in freefall and deeper in the aircraft.
Hanging around the DZ for a day or at least a half day really helps.
I tell newbies just take deep breaths as they are going to the door, and when they get there look at your camera man (cause I know you will get video) and smile.
Usually there is a big rush as you exit but then after 4 to 6 seconds people tend to relax and enjoy the ride.
Landing-No problem if the instructor tells you to lift your legs, Then do it and you will be fine.
Have a great skydive, and be ready, you will probably want to do it again.
Blue Skies

The time in the plane varies with the type of airplane. The small Cessnas, such as the Cessna 182, will take about 25 minutes or more to get to 10,000 feet. The big turboprops, such as the Caravan, Twin Otter, or Skyvan, will only take 15 minutes or less to get to 13,000 feet. In the small Cessna 182, it will be just 4 jumpers, two of you and two tandem masters. In the larger airplanes, it's not unusual to take groups of 6 or more at a time. I prefer the big planes. Less time sitting, and the more, the merrier.

When you jump out, the freefall will last from 40 to 60 seconds, depending on from how high you jumped. And no. it doesn't feel like you are falling, it feels like you are laying on the world's softest bed, a complete cushion of air. After the chute opens around 4000 feet, you'll spend about 4 minutes under canopy, relaxing and enjoying the scenery. It's easy to relax at this point because your biggest fear, the chute not opening, is behind you now. You and your tandem master will be able to talk back and forth under canopy, and he or she will tell you what to do for landing.

Of course, you know we always carry two parachutes, the reserve one just in case the main one has a problem. The reserve even has a computer on it, called an AAD, that opens it automatically if needed.

See, it's not even that exciting anymore, is it?:D

Thanks a lot for the info. Its good to hear what will be happening to me from other peoples experiences.
I am really looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm scared something may go wrong. I know these people will be experienced but its all very scary. The most daring thing I've ever done, is the oblivion at alton towers!:o