chuteless

recurrency question

USPA states : http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2004SIM/section5.htm#52

1. All students who have not jumped in 30 days or more should receive refresher training:

a. Review all standard procedures which were-or should have been-previously acquired.

(1) physical skills

(2) theoretical knowledge

b. Practice emergency procedures in a harness simulator under the guidance of a rated USPA Coach, Instructor, or Instructor Examiner.

c. A student should repeat reserve deployment training once each month until obtaining a USPA A License, including the use of a harness simulator and the pull of an actual reserve ripcord while in the training harness.

2. IAD or static-line method students on freefall status but not yet cleared for freefall self-supervision who have not jumped within the preceding 30 days should make at least one satisfactory jump in their initial training method, with a successful practice deployment, under the direct supervision of an appropriately rated USPA Instructor, before returning to freefall status.

3. IAD and static-line method students cleared to self-supervise in freefall but who have not jumped in the preceding--

(1) 30 days: should make at least one jump under the direct supervision of a USPA Instructor until demonstrating the ability to start and stop turns, maintain altitude awareness, and maintain stability during deployment

(2) 60 days: should make at least one satisfactory jump in their initial training method, with a successful practice deployment, under the direct supervision of an appropriately rated USPA Instructor, before returning to freefall status

4. AFF students cleared to self-supervise in freefall but who have not jumped in the preceding 30 days should make at least one jump and demonstrate the ability to start and stop turns, maintain altitude awareness, and the ability to maintain stability during deployment, with a currently rated AFF Instructor.

USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within--
1. 60 days: should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups
2. 90 days: should make at least one jump beginning in Category D with a USPA AFF Instructor or in Category B with a USPA IAD Static-Line, or Tandem Instructor before proceeding to unsupervised freefall
B License
USPA B-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within the preceding 90 days should make at least one jump under the supervision of a USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating the ability to safely exercise the privileges of that license.
C and D License
USPA D-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within the preceding six months should make at least one jump under the supervision of a USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating the ability to safely exercise the privileges of that license.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hmm. This is such a big issue for me right now. I graduated off AFF and had a few solo jumps. My last one was on May 15. I'm right on the borderline right now. What's the LAST day I can go before I have to retake level 8? Is it 30 days, or 31?

Do most instructors charge anything for helping someone get current?

Nathan,
Those instructors put in lots of time, money, and energy to get their ratings. They need to be compensated for the work that they do getting a student back up to speed.

What's the LAST day I can go before I have to retake level 8? Is it 30 days, or 31?

Ara,
If you show up at the DZ and it's been 31 days since your last jump, it's one day pass the 30 days. Check with the DZ you plan to jump at, as sometimes they will work out some kind of deal, depending on what your jump history is.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Do most instructors charge anything for helping someone get current?

Nathan,
Those instructors put in lots of time, money, and energy to get their ratings. They need to be compensated for the work that they do getting a student back up to speed.

I wasn't asking if they should or shouldnt nor was I trying to debate anyone either way, just didn't know the norm I'm sure there's people who will expect to be "compensated" and some will be fine with a few beers and a paid slot.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I'm sure there's people who will expect to be "compensated" and some will be fine with a few beers and a paid slot.

If I was one of your instructors, and I pretty much know what to expect (i.e., you're solid and have been at the DZ although you couldn't jump and have been hanging around), then I am happy to make the jump for slot.

But if I don't know you, and your oral review shows you haven't thought much about jumping for the last six weeks, then I'll want my slot plus my instructor fee for retraining you and possibly having to save your life out there.

It all depends and there is no easy and quick solution to retraining. Skydivers just dont fit into easy boxes usually.

DJan

I got nailed for a "refresher Jump" after being idled for 32 days (had 21 jumps then). And I have no problem with it. I have not enough jumps under my belt to really be able to judge whether I am OK to go solo safely or not. If nothing else, it prevented the mind fuck game of "should I REALLY be doing that"...etc...
Didn't get it for a slot fare though. Would I have liked that? Damn right. Did I have a problem paying full instructor rate for it? Nope. I figure that if an instructor who's jumping camera/tandem/AFF all days on a week end (and I went there on a week end) has 1/2 hour free, he would probably be happier jumping with someone more challenging (or at least cuter) than I
;)
Hell, skydiving is tax deductable, right?:P

Nick

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Nathan,
What do you do for a living? Are you willing to give what ever you do away for a free slot and a cold beer? I stand by what I said. Instructors need to be compensated for the work they put in. Now, if you have worked it out before hand with the instructor that all they want is a beer and cover their slot, then you have compensated them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I went through AFF training and then switched DZ's to a smaller more convienent static line DZ.( 10 min. drive vs. 90min) I was ablbe to stay current all winter long but now that the nice weather is here I lapsed on my currency, it has now been 3 months since my last jump.:( I was told by an instructor that I have to go back to my AFF DZ to get current again, at 4 times the cost of what I have been paying for a coaching jump now.:( Oh well

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

I'm a PC tech, and you can BET that everyday I have people (friends, family, people I meet in a bar) ask to pick my brain. Now I'm not arguing with paying for a re-currency jump. I've had to do it many time (long northern winters). However, it is not uncommon for people to ask for professional favors. Just ask any doctor you know how often they get asked for medical advice at parties.

Larry A-43434

In the UK there are no currency time limits, as long as you have your A (which at 40 jumps I assume you have).

But you might be made to do some kind of currency jump with an instructor or someone, but is down to the CCI at the centre you turn up to. I know Ive seen someone with about 2 jumps after his A turn up (after a year of not jumping) at my DZ and just do an unsupervised solo.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

in the UK it depends largely on your skydiving history and how well you're known at the dz. There are no general rules for licensed jumpers.

Get your A in 18 jumps and were current, capable and aware before you took time out? A friendly CCI might let you do a solo, more likely if they know you.

However if you got your A in 38 jumps and have comments like "Will you at least try to arch?!" or "Next time try being stable!" in your log book and you can bet on a retrain...

:ph34r:

see?

I'd plan on doing at least 1 supervised jump and paying for it - if you're expecting it then it's not a shock and if they don't charge you then you've got added cash for jump tickets B|