Vallerina

I am a device dependent kiddie!

That's right! I have all the gadgets. I have a nice altimeter, audible, Cyrpes, RSL, (had) a helmet, and a freefly friendly rig! Jumpers who have been in the sport for years look at all of my toys and think, "She never would've made it back in the day." Maybe I wouldn't have!

At the beginning of the month, I lost my audible for a few weeks. I kept jumping, and I even did solo freefly jumps without an audible! :o I lost both my frap hat and helmet, too, and I jumped without those!

This past weekend, I did crw. I didn't turn my Cypres on for them, I disconnected my RSL, and I attached my wrist mount altimeter to my chest, but I couldn't see it very well (I really had to try and look to see it.)

Without all of my devices, I cutaway and opened my reserve, and I lived! I even kept my handles! Who would've thought that someone under the age of 30 and in the sport less than five years could've completed such a feat!

;)

Just a note to all the older jumpers....some of us really do listen!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Without all of my devices, I cutaway and opened my reserve, and I lived! I even kept my handles! Who would've thought that someone under the age of 30 and in the sport less than five years could've completed such a feat!

OOOH! What happened? Was it a canopy wrap? Tell more! I want details. I took a novice CRW camp last year and got my 4-stack, but it was the most terrifying canopy thrills I've ever had. And it sounds like you had even more "fun" -- I'm very interested in hearing about it.

DJan

Was it a canopy wrap?

No, that was my first cutaway due to unintentional crw when I had about 39 jumps (ie canopy collision.)

Now that I'm about 600 jumps wiser, I decided to try some crw out intentionally. I still can't get away from reserve rides and crw whether it's intentional or unintentional! :D It wasn't a wrap. It was an A line's attatchment point popping off of the center cell.

Crwmike started a hard spiral while he was the pilot. I felt some incredible pressure for a few seconds, heard a pop, felt tension release, wondered why my head hurt, and then I saw a line floating by my slider. So, it's not quite as exciting as a canopy wrap. Sorry, Djan!!!

Hey Val,

Just curious, why'd ya cut it away?

I had an A line pop about two months ago (hella hard opening) and everything still flew good. After a few control checks to verify, I just draped the line over my shoulder and flew it in...

Did the control check prove the canopy to be not navigable???

Just curious for future ref. I know no two issues are ever the same.

Thanks,

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

;)

:o:oYour under 30 >:(:P;)

Nice work saving your life Val:)I was frantically trying to utrn my cypres on during taxi-ing the other day. Not because I'm scared to jump with out it, but due to the Op-Regs "requiring" me to jump with it ON
Everyone in the plane thought it was funny as, telling thepilot to hurry nd get in the air:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am a device dependent kiddie!

According to thes statments by you, you are not dependant:

At the beginning of the month, I lost my audible for a few weeks. I kept jumping, and I even did solo freefly jumps without an audible! I lost both my frap hat and helmet, too, and I jumped without those!

This past weekend, I did crw. I didn't turn my Cypres on for them, I disconnected my RSL, and I attached my wrist mount altimeter to my chest, but I couldn't see it very well (I really had to try and look to see it.)

You are NOT device dependant. You clearly just use them for added saftey.

Not everyone is like you. I know people who will not jump if their audible is dead.

THEY are dependant.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just curious, why'd ya cut it away?

I thought about keeping it, but Mike advised me to cut it away. I ended up agreeing with him. It was a center line on a 126 which I already couldn't stand up loaded at 1.35. I would've been "fine" landing it like that, but there was a pretty good chance of breaking something.

Not everyone is like you.

Don't I know it! ;)

I know people who will not jump if their audible is dead.

Yup. Keep hounding away, though, because, even if it doesn't seem like it, it does get through to some people. I like the theory of jump like you don't have any of that stuff, and don't be afraid to jump without all of your stuff.

Yup. Keep hounding away, though, because, even if it doesn't seem like it, it does get through to some people

Yeah but my hate mail folder is filling up quicker than my thanks folder:S.

I like the theory of jump like you don't have any of that stuff, and don't be afraid to jump without all of your stuff.

I don't know about you, but I am afraid to jump without ALL of my stuff...Think rig;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't know about you, but I am afraid to jump without ALL of my stuff...Think rig

Pansy!:P

Why did you not turn your cypres on for CRW?

Because I'm not sure on the actual numbers of the chance of a misfire or the chance of me knocking my head on the way out the door. If I knew that I had a greater chance of knocking myself out than a misfire, I may have turned it on.

If I knew that I had a greater chance of knocking myself out than a misfire, I may have turned it on.

If I was worried one little bit about the possibility of a misfire I would not use cypres, ever. :P

Still, its your decision.;) Thank for the reply.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

That's right! I have all the gadgets. I have a nice altimeter, audible, Cyrpes, RSL, (had) a helmet, and a freefly friendly rig! Jumpers who have been in the sport for years look at all of my toys and think, "She never would've made it back in the day." Maybe I wouldn't have!

At the beginning of the month, I lost my audible for a few weeks. I kept jumping, and I even did solo freefly jumps without an audible! :o I lost both my frap hat and helmet, too, and I jumped without those!

;)

Just a note to all the older jumpers....some of us really do listen!

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Being one of those older (just plain old, actually) jumpers, I admit to ...skepticism concerning abilities and knowledge of those who learned under the DisneyWorld format.

Val, you did great! I've worked with a lot of beginners in CRW. You were one of two people (in about 25 years) who was able to tell me, point by point, what you would be doing on the dive.

You did well. You pulled your own weight, you bought beer (and pepsi), you became a child of the corn in searching for your canopy ...and you did it all with enthusiastic smiles.

As was mentioned, popping a center cell 'A' line does not mandate a chop. Given your wing loading under an unfamilar canopy that is not known for it good landing characteristics, I think you made a good choice.

I regret we did not get to make a third jump. Now what am I gonna do with these C cell batteries???

CRW Skies,

Michael

Brought a couple of ears of corn home from our canopy hunt and am looking forward to cooking them up tonight.

I regret we did not get to make a third jump. Now what am I gonna do with these C cell batteries???

Put them in the freezer (or was it the refrigerator) so that they stay fresh for next time! :)

I admit to ...skepticism concerning abilities and knowledge of those who learned under the DisneyWorld format.

:D But, my first jump was out of a 182 doing static line! :P I will have to admit that one of the other, less talked about, benefits of doing static line is the look on older jumpers' faces when I tell them that I did. It's almost a bonding experience! :D

I attached my wrist mount altimeter to my chest, but I couldn't see it very well (I really had to try and look to see it.)

Val, if you are going to be getting into CReW, I have suggestion for your altimeter. I had Tony make me some CReW pants. I had him make a clear type pocket on the pants. It's on my left leg about the middle of the thigh. That's where I put my altimeter. I only have to look down and I can see it easy. I've seen the CReW dogs here in Colorado put that same pocket on a pair of sweatpants for their altimeter. Keeps things out of the way from lines in case of a wrap.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Me too! I've got all the toys! I even have a brand spankin' new CYPRES 2, not that original CYPRES, that's for old farts!

Then again, I started to learn freeflying with no toys except a rig on my back. No audible, no AAD, no jumpsuit even. I did have a visual altimeter. In retrospect I think this was stupid, but I did it anyway.

I admit, there is one device I am dependent on other than my rig. That device is my goggles, since I wear glasses and can't see all that well without them. I also like having at least one functioning altimeter on the dive. I can survive without one, I know what 5000' and 3000' look like, but I would consider an altimeter failure to be an emergency situation at my experience level. I'm actively working on changing this.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.