CanuckInUSA

A tale of two different drop zones

Hi Canuck,
Read your post and the replys, that's wild! Like Mr. DH needs to replace the corn cob he has hiding in a very dark place as it obviously from his demeanor indicates that it is irritating him!!!

If lets say you start the jump run a mile or two out, and you're doing a hop and pop and you start at 3K way out and over the spot you're at 3.5K, big deal!! That is if the pilot maintains his regular climb!! Why level off for a couple of miles on the way to altitude for a solo drop? It wastes fuel. If you want a hop and pop and you get extra altitude, who's bitching?? Did this yokel pilot cut the engine and level off when he turned on the green light??
With the co$t of A/C ops. these days, low exits have generally been on a climbing jump run. I always thought that when the green light comes on you "Check the spot!" It wasn't too many years ago we didn't have GPS's and we had to spot.....5RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!....CUT!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Did this yokel pilot cut the engine and level off when he turned on the green light??

It's not the pilot I have an issue with. From what I understand the people at the back of the load told the pilot two things. 1 hop n' pop and a 15 second climb out. Seeing as this pilot (from a big DZ) is used to 4-ways teams working on exits with hop n' pops, I can only assume that he confused me as a hop n' pop with the 4-way team + camera man and turned the light on 15 seconds early.

No my issue is with the senior tandem master and believe me I'm am ready willing and able to continue argument #2 with him. Problem is, is that I won't be at the DZ for at least the next 4 weekends due to prior commitments (Perris Valley this coming weekend, Canada after that, the Skydive Moab boogie and either the Go-Fast games or some fun at DZ "B").

Once again, I'm problaby ranting more than I should. But this one individual (and a few of his co-horts have tainted me to the point of ... well I just don't care about certain things any more). :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hehe...

Sounds eerily familiar. Had a very similar situation at my home DZ during the Scottish Nationals. I was Jumpmaster on a lift, and the green light was put on about 1.5 miles short of the DZ, the other side of a river, on a windy day...(turns out the (visiting) pilot misread his GPS). I had a full 4-way team plus video (from a different DZ) screaming at me from the front of the plane to get out. I waited til we got over the correct spot, then exited with my 4-way team. All three teams landed on the DZ. 10 minutes later, I got called to the judge's room. The third team wanted a rejump! Apparently exiting in the correct spot, and landing on the airfield, put them off their skydive. When they were refused, they pulled out of the competition...oh well!
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

With the co$t of A/C ops. these days, low exits have generally been on a climbing jump run.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Be careful with exiting while the plane is still climbing.
Do that with some types of airplanes (DC-3, King Air, PAC 750, etc.) and you will leave a large dent in the horizontal stabilizer.

Be careful with exiting while the plane is still climbing.
Do that with some types of airplanes (DC-3, King Air, PAC 750, etc.) and you will leave a large dent in the horizontal stabilizer.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen a couple of near misses with the tail from aggressive exits on Hop and Pops. Slide out low, stay small, or dive out in a tuck, which is my favorite. All these things will keep you under the tail. If the pilot needs educating, do that too.

The original story reminds me of a DZ long, long ago and far, far away.
We had been on a wind hold all afternoon.
Winds were still strong from the south - but within published limits - when I took off with three static-line students. My WDI maled, so I had to gestimate the spot.
My first student landed in a large field south of the runway. Granted we did not normally land in that field, but it was still airport property and clear of obstacles.
My second student landed on the north (correct) side of the runway.
My third student landed beside the bowl.

Back in the packing area, another jumpmaster loudly accused me of being an "a$$hole" for landing a student south of the runway.

He took up the next student load and they all landed south of the runway.

Then the chief instructor took the last load of students up. By then it was so dark that students could not see the arrow. All of his students landed south of the runway and it is rumored that one or two of them landed in the forest - a long way south of the runway.

I quietly left the DZ.

what would people say if I blindly jumped without checking the spot and got into some sort of incident because of it.

I'm sure in this case Mr. Dick would've been the first person to tell you how stupid you were for not properly checking the spot.

>So he starts yelling out to me that I need to jump because the green light is on.

What I have found works in situations like this is to take my helmet off and climb back to him to hear what the emergency is he's yelling about. When he says "Just go, dammit!" walk back to the door, put your helmet on, check your handles and go - thus giving you the 15 seconds you need, and allowing him to express himself in the meantime.

I find what works too, is that while you have your head out of the door and can't hear him, you can use your right hand to show him the finger for 10-15 seconds before you're ready to exit. This should have the required effect of tripling his blood pressure.

There's something about having a tandem strapped to you that seems to want to make you yell for exit as soon as the light comes one, whether or not you can see where you are. I've even been tempted to do it myself when doing them. I have no idea why this is. If a tandem master doesn't like the sopt, he can signal to his video and pull high. SOP for my time as chief instructor at Z Hills. I've yet to see a tandem land off yet from a long spot. YMMV.

Basically, if you ain't looking out of the door at the spot, clouds and traffic, STFU.

:-) :-)

Hey, Steve, view this as spiritual pushups.

People in the front of the plane, including
sometimes the pilot, yelling at you to go on
the green light has been going on at this
dropzone since it opened.

It's the universe testing your spiritual condition,
can you maintain that calm and friendly demeanor
in the face of such unwarranted, inappropriate,
and even unsafe bullshit?

From the physics of it all there is maybe a
two mile interval in which people can get
out and make it back to the dropzone.

Maybe it's a bit more now with people pulling
higher.

At Eloy you can get out short and long because
there is nothing out there to hit and they will
come and get you.

But at dropzone A, where the jumprun is always
the same direction, you can't get out short
because there is town and shopping malls
and a field filled with very expensive race
horses short of the runway.

I've been yelled at many times for looking
out the door and exercising some judgement,
on both ends of the jumprun.

I'd go out to dropzone B more often but I can't
deal with the packs of dogs they let run loose
out there.

Plus it's a long way out there and dropzone A
is only 12 miles away.

A lot of experienced jumpers have just faded
away, others, like Mary, jump out of state.

Skr

:-) :-)

Hey, Steve, view this as spiritual pushups.

People in the front of the plane, including
sometimes the pilot, yelling at you to go on
the green light has been going on at this
dropzone since it opened.

Funny story from DZ "A" a couple months ago:
An S&TA was making a hop-n-pop with one or two other guys. The green light came on. He looked out, then looked up toward the pilot and made a forceful arm gesture indicating he wanted the pilot to turn left. The usual yells of "GO! GO! GO!" arose from the front of the plane. Refusing to be intimidated, he yelled back:

"Tell him (the pilot) to look out his left window!"

At this point I looked out the door out of curiosity. The jump run was a MILE North of where it was supposed to be. The plane made a hard turn to the left, then they got out over the target.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.