UKKid35

Stupid Newbie Questions

Only just discovered this forum, very pleased I found it! Now for the daft questions:

I have 40 jumps, not been current for over a year, and I've just bought my first rig, a Vortex with Heatwave 150 and Temp 150 reserve (I'm 140 pounds), was that a sensible choice?

It has no AAD, and obviously I want one before I jump, I can't afford a new Cypres so where's the best place to get a used one?

TIA & Blue Skies!

Paul

The Heatwave is a high-performance canopy, basically a Stiletto clone...I don't think it would be a good idea to jump that right out the gate.

Really, you need to get recurrent and talk to the head-instructor or S&TA (whatever the BPA equivlent is) and figure out what is best for you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What Dave said. I've flown a Heatwave and currently jump a Stiletto. You have no business under that canopy at 40 jumps.

Look around for somebody with a Hornet or Sabre that's ready to go to an elliptical like a Heatwave that might trade you canopies. :)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

>It has no AAD, and obviously I want one before I jump, I can't afford
>a new Cypres so where's the best place to get a used one?

Based on what you have told us so far, you are far more likely to get killed by your canopy than by forgetting to pull. Save the money on the cypres and get good training on that canopy and/or get a larger canopy for a little while. That will do far more to keep you alive and uninjured.

I'll put money on the DZO not letting you jump that canopy. The size is not so much an issue as the make. It does not matter what advice anyone gives you or how ready for the canopy you are or how shit hot you might be - it counts for nothing as no one's going to let you get on the plane with it.

You should be able to find something out there that will be acceptable without losing money though so don't worry that you've made an awful choice.

Most common ones you'll find in this country that your DZO will be happy with are Sabre, ZP.EXE, Spectre, triathlon, and several others. That advice should be taken to your local instructors and DZO though. I know of at least one DZ that's unhappy with people being on ZP canopies below B license.

Your best bet is to go and have a good long talk with the guys at the DZ you're planning on jumping at - as you've probably gathered from the replies you've already got here, don't be surprised when they don't let you on the plane with a Heatwave. (also, having an AAD and an RSL may not be optional until you have a B-licence - I don't know if that's in the op's manual or just a quirk of my home DZ?)
If you haven't jumped in over a year, they'll probably want you to get current on student canopies before moving onto something larger with a more 'forgiving' planform!

Durham University Freefall Club

Grounds For Divorce website (band I'm in)

Dave

The heatwave is an original design by PISA yes it is in the same performance class as the Stilleto, but it is not just a clone.

There are designers else where in the world.

Yes I am South African and no this is not a personal attack on Americans just worth pointing it out

Jezz

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

The size is not so much an issue as the make.

He is considering a 150 sq foot canopy at a body weight of 140 pounds. Figure the rig weighs at least 25 pounds so his exit weight is about 165, giving him a wing loading of 1.1 on a parachute that I understand to be elliptical. He only has 40 jumps and is not close to current.

Size does matter.

At that level he should be working with a larger more docile parachute so he can learn to handle it in all situations with all control inputs. Something so small and loaded may be fine for a basic landing in the middle of a big drop zone, but it drastically reduces learning and growth opportunities, and would be a real problem in an off field landing. Likewise, loaded ellipticals tend to spin when they malfunction, and that is an additional problem for a low time uncurrent jumper.

I'd suggest student gear for a few jumps, then upsize quite a bit for a hundred jumps. There should be no rush to get on a tiny parachute. The emergency room will still be there if he wants to do battle with the planet later in his jumping career.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Oh I accept that entirely - I didn't mean to suggest that the size was not important, not at all. I was mealy cautioning that it was the design of this particular canopy that was the worst error in his choice, not the only error.

If he were to change only one factor - the design or the size, which would you suggest? A square 150 or an elliptical 170?

I know many DZ's that would let him jump a square @ 1.1:1 (be it a good idea or not). I don't think I know any that would let him jump an elliptical even if he only loaded it at 0.97:1

Thankyou for highlighting the ambiguity in my post.

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum! There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!!!

One little, itty bitty question, did you buy your gear new or did you buy it second hand?

Did the seller ask you any questions, ie number of jumps, currency, weight?

This could be construed as being contentious, but sellers in general should have a MORAL obligation to selling the right gear or in certain cases, not selling at all.

Caution - story ahead :P

I was selling my Sabre2 150 and after asking his jumping background, weight, etc I did tell one guy that I wouldn't sell it to him as he had only jumped a ZP canopy about 10 times and he was downsizing and doing it in Eloy (landing conditions totally different from UK). I suggested he demoed a 190 Sabre 1/Spectre first and see how he went before going to a 170. The majority of his jumps were on a PD 190.

Liz
the liver is evil and must be punished

as far as the rig i believe i would try something alittle more forgiving for my 1st rig...you can get a used cypress from merle at www.kentuckyskydivingcenter.com
or call him @(866) I-JUMP-KY (weekdays)
(502) 226-DIVE (DZ)
i purchased one that has a fresh 8 year for $400 to go in my spare rig. he had several left when i got mine(aug 04) you might want to give him a call

Thanks to everyone for your considered replies. As some of you may have guessed I bought the rig without having a chance to research the main properly, and no I haven't spoken to Pete Sizer at Headcorn about jumping using it. It was purchased after seeing it on eBay and I negotiated what I think is a very good price - £900 (approx $1600).

I was aware that there was a chance the main might be unsuitable but as the whole rig is in mint condition with less than 200 jumps I was confident that I could swap the Heatwave for something more forgiving if neccessary.

I guess now I need to decide whether to swap it, or whether to keep it and buy something more suitable for the time being. This will to a large extent depend on how long it will be before i can use it.

I have previously used a Silhouette 160 and found it very well mannered, I assumed I was not being too extreme chosing a 150 for my first rig, especially as I am very cautious: I pull at 4000 and I'm not very adventurous under the canopy.

Of course I'm going to be using student gear to get current, I've found on the last few occassions I've jumped (which have been at Quantum Leap Sullivan, MO) that the retraining regime is very strictly adhered to, and I've been forced to jump with an instructor before being signed off to jump solo.

So really my question now is: Is the Heatwave worth keeping for later or should I sell it and forget about it?

Thanks again - Blue Skies!

Sell it dude!

IMO, by the time your ready for that canopy there will be something new and improved your gonna want more than that Heatwave. Even if you keep it in a dark, dry closet in a plastic bag. The date of manufacture on it will make it less valuable than the price you may get to sell it now.

Hope this helps