President

Pulling very high

I would like to make several jumps pulling really high - basically right after exit and stabilization which is ~12,000 ft.
Is there anything I should know about ? Like some air currents, airplanes, some extra rules applied etc etc..
Thank you very much in advance !

Talk with your instructor. When you pull high you will have greater exposure to the upper level winds, so the spot will need to be adjusted. If your drop zone has multiple airplanes, a high pull might place you under the jump run of another jump plane. If your drop zone is in congested flight area opening high may subject you greater threats from other airplanes, so your jump pilot may need to alert ATC.

With all that said, opening high gives you more time to play with your parachute, and it can be really fun.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Find out if there are any air traffic considerations at your DZ and where they would want you in the exit order.

Wear something warm. Most parts of the country have chilly air up there this time of year.

Watch for traffic.

Be sure you aren't too far away on the spot for the winds you have.

Have fun.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I just did my first altitude hop & pop (sunset load no less) a week ago. AMAZING!

Not qualified to give much advice, but I will say two things. Keep the blood moving in your legs. I found that mine started to fall asleep after being in the saddle for much longer than usual. Pulling my legs up to my chest helped as did kicking around a bit.

The other thing is to remain ultra-aware of your heading and location. I had the amazing experience of watching the moon rise as the sun was setting and could have easily just kept watching the sunset and ended up much futher out than I wanted to be.

Have fun!
Killing threads since 2004.

The other thing to do is see if there is an instructor or someone an instructor would suggest that will go up with you and allow you to play "Follow the leader" with them.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

hm...I didn't think about that at all.
Of course all of my 8 jumps I landed on the DZ (we have pretty big landing area here in Byron) - I have never yet practiced any "precision landing".

Thanks a lot, Remster ! It just never occurred to me while I was pondering this idea.

I think I'll wait until I get more experience it looks like "precision canopy control" is part of the A License req's so I will have a chance to practice that pretty soon. Then I'll get back to this idea.

Thanks again !

Just curious, why do you want to pull so high?

Two reasons: 1) I *love* canopy rides and 2) want to practice no-altitude-loss turns, stalls, slow flight etc.

Oh baby, do I hear a Crew Dog barking to get out!B| Perris usually does a beginner CRW camp in July, IIRC.

The other thing to do is see if there is an instructor or someone an instructor would suggest that will go up with you and allow you to play "Follow the leader" with them.

I don't think it would be possible due to a drastic difference in canopy performance - our gurus jump something that feels like a Lamborghini compared to my Navigator 290. By the time I unstow my toggles those guys are already on final.

Oh baby, do I hear a Crew Dog barking to get out!B| Perris usually does a beginner CRW camp in July, IIRC.

LOL
Believe it or not, even before my first jump when I was looking at pictures ans videos, CReW looked much more appealing to me that RW. Something tingles inside when I see those cool canopy formation. And the RW just looks totally boring - I'm not looking forward to it at all. I know I'll have to do this stuff just because USPA requires this, but for me (at least now) it feels just like a mandatory nuisance I have to go thru.
Yeah - those thrilling canopy formations is what I wanna do. Sit on front edge of another guy's deployed canopy !!! Woo-hoo !

And the RW just looks totally boring - I'm not looking forward to it at all. I know I'll have to do this stuff just because USPA requires this, but for me (at least now) it feels just like a mandatory nuisance I have to go thru.

That's what I said. Then I tried it. You'll see. ;)

There's nothing boring about planning and launching a 12-way. Course, I've only done it once, but it's in no way dull. And when you get several points on a 4 way it feels like you're just whipping through them, everybody falling and moving as one... oh man, try yerself some rw!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

hm...I didn't think about that at all.
Of course all of my 8 jumps I landed on the DZ (we have pretty big landing area here in Byron) - I have never yet practiced any "precision landing".

Thanks a lot, Remster ! It just never occurred to me while I was pondering this idea.

I think I'll wait until I get more experience it looks like "precision canopy control" is part of the A License req's so I will have a chance to practice that pretty soon. Then I'll get back to this idea.

Thanks again !

You have a good head on your shoulders. I would prefer that you earn your "A" license before you do anything like a hop-n-pop at full altitude, and then again, when you do get to do it, do it with someone experienced, not alone.

Patience is a virtue. You won't be disappointed.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

***...There's nothing boring about planning and launching a 12-way...it's in no way dull. And when you get several points on a 4 way it feels like you're just whipping through them, everybody falling and moving as one... oh man, try yerself some rw!

Doug, you said it, baby! It's amazing what you can do with your body in the air....and all under control!!!! Put me down Mr Presidrnt as a full-blown RW fanatic with a positive recommendation......but...on the other hand, I envy your excitement over CReW.....it scares the hell out of me!!!!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I did my first high opening yesterday, on jump #22. Exited @13.5, deployed @ 12, open by 10.5, spent the next 20+ minutes practicing slow flight, turns, stalls, etc, etc, etc. Best advice I can give you is to consider wearing gloves, as your hands will be above you for a long time, hence less circulation, combined with higher altitude, they can get cold. I've had frostbite twice, however, so that skews my results a good deal. Definitely make sure your harness is adjusted well. By the time I landed, my feet were numb (actually I noticed them being numb about 4k), but again, frostbite and reduced circulation resulting from it played a factor in that.

Since you will be spending a lot of time in the saddle, make a list of things you want to do up there. Talk with your instructors, read books, etc. I was able to stall my canopy on toggles and rear risers at least 3 times each, did numerous flat turns, braked turns, flare turns, a whole lot of practice flares, high performance turns to measure altitude loss, front riser practice, rear riser turns, simulated landing approaches on toggles and rear risers, etc. Also, while doing some of these exercises, watch the ground, then do the same thing again, but watch the canopy. Learn how it reacts to your inputs and watch how it deforms during turns, etc. Don't forget to enjoy the view ;P

Before I could do mine, I had to clear it both with my instructor, the pilot, and the DZO. Watch for other air traffic, listen for the sound of the engines, be sure your airspace is clear before making any turns, verify winds before getting on the plane, and take a good look at some aerial photos beforehand. You need to make sure you are in the right spot, because upper winds can carry you for miles if you let them. Also take a good look around when you are under canopy and memorize the look of the ground to help you in spotting better. That's about all I can think of at the moment. Definitely talk to your instructors and the pilot before you do this, however.

Mike

Edit: spellcheck needs work!

consider wearing gloves, you will be suprised how cold you fingertips will get...... even if it is nice and warm at ground level.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Thanks, Mike !
Never thought cold would be a problem here in Calif. even on 12,000 - feels totally fine in free fall :)

After a summer of sweating like a pig, we've had a couple cold weekends. Our version of winter is coming. 2 weekends back I was shivering when they opened the door at Hollister for the 15k load, and then we went "up" a bit higher to 18 (well, closer to 15.5 apparently) it was our time.

Not too bad in freefall, but if you spent 10 minutes getting down to the lower altitudes it might start affecting your performance.

...Since you will be spending a lot of time in the saddle, make a list of things you want to do up there...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wow the memories... I did my 500th back in July 1996, a typical hot, no-wind Georgia day with big puffy clouds just hanging in the sky. Did a hop 'n' pop from 13,500', watched the airplane fly away as the rest of the load also jumped & deployed, and drank two beers on the way down.

Didn't unstow the brakes until 3000'; just hung on a riser once in a while to turn around. After 15 minutes in the saddle my legs were becoming numb, but I pulled off a standup anyway.

Woo hoo.

Cheers,
Jon