justaflygirl

At what jump was your first cutaway?

First reserve ride on #14, not a cutaway. T-10 main, chest mount reserve. Student jump, a 10 second delay, couldn't find the ripcord and pulled the reserve around 1200'. Unmodified 22'round, oscillated into the trees. My first terminal opening. Oh, the beer...

First cutaway was #142, followed by a hard reserve pull & finally opened at 400'. Strong 26' Lopo.

Last one was seven years ago, #540 following a streamer. Got open above 1000' & steered (Lopo) to a small clear spot in a neighbor's backyard. There were people on the DZ with more jumps than I had who had never seen a round parachute. :o

Cheers,
Jon

Jump #401, it was a tension knot and line twists. Had me spinning on my back, hard cut away. It was kind of a strange feeling seeing a blur of color from 60+ other canopies streaming around in circles... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jump #19
The DZ was having some miscomunication amongst the instructors. I was told conflicting things about what to do when the pilot chute on my 280 manta went over the front of my parachute. I know now that I could have landed it as I had done a few times b4.

jump#229
Bad body position on my new stilletto:o, won't do that again!

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

My first was not really a cut away!

I was a student and on jump 9 or 10 I was doing my first actual freefall delay (static line)
And I got out, got unstable and lost altitude awareness, thinking I had to get stable instead of getting something out.
I finally realized and pull at the same time as cypres fires... Reserve opens faster and I'm flying that for a few seconds before landing...

Second one I was still a student! Jump 20ish somehing!
I had finally learned to be stable and I deploy and nothing happens. So since I had my previous I was scared of the ground so I cut away and pulled my reserve.

3rd not a student anymore... I had borrowed gear and it had a collapsible P/C which I hadn't collapsed!
So obviously I had to chop!!!

4th was an intentional one! From a 3 parachute rig that we where testing. It was around jump 400ish!
Now that was fun!!!

So i'm done with my cutaways at least I hope so!
I sure learned a lot when I was a student ;)
Ankie
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

I talked my college roomate into going up as an observer. I told him it was really fun and safe !!!
It was my 3rd clear and pull ( static line method 1977 Hinckley ) Well, I had a Mae West , chopped,reserve came out before I could get my fingers out of the Capewells and my roomate got in the car left before I had my debrief done. ;-)

wally
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

#20 - A licence jump, "SCR" jump (true Texas style), First jump to licence in under a week. Man did I owe some beer and a bottle - Skydive Texas

Line over, I did not pack

#98 - Line over I packed at WFFC Quincy

#500something toggle came out in head down, Stilletto spin-up - WFFC Rantoul

Chris